• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

I grew up in the Catholic Church, i experienced wicca, satanism, and atheism. I started studying prophecy at 15-16yrs old. At some point in my life Christ "found" me. He has been chasing after me my whole life until I finally stopped running. I was a Marine and saw things I wish I could forget. Ive ran a business with a corrupt partner who inevitably destroyed the business and his life (long story). More recently I co-founded an organization called "Christians United For Christ" only to be left solo when the Freedom From Religion Foundation threatened lawsuit. I grew up poor which is first why i left belief for atheism. Only to grow poorer and return to faith (not Catholic) only to be getting attacked from an atheist organization (irony?). In my persuit of Truth, i have inevitably found this forum. 623 members and far less are active. I may know why. My life has been riddled with trials and tribulation. I struggle everyday to understand why i amhere. What the purpose of all this madness is. This world nowhere resembles the world i was born into. Things are changing at an extraordinary rate. Sometimes it scares me. In my search for answers, not only have I accepted the Truth of Christ, I became a minister and achieved my doctorate. I found the UB. I read countless pro and against UB material. I finally decided to read it. After about two weeks of reading it (not just excerpts in the various articles ive read), Im now upto Paper 35. At this point i want to say i strongly feel the UB compliments the Bible. Regardless whether or not the UB is a "Christian" text. Im disheartened in my Christian brethren who so foolishly are misinterpreting verses and taking it out of context to call it a "cult". Granted some readers are making Urantia Book a religion, thats not what it was intended for. At the same time, Christians have been doing the same thing to the Bible. If people cant agree on just one text, how are they going to on another? Though i must say Bradley, Rick, and JR made me feel at home here. A true act of kindness and brotherly love.
Though i feel as though people are taking pieces of the text out of context, just as has been done to every other text out there, i feel as though i have let things get the best of me. Im going through hard times right now and may have took it out on some individuals here. Im not apologizing for my views, opinions, or anything to do with my ministry. My beliefs are just that, mine. Not everyones. Same goes for the ministry. The ministry is a fellow-ship of like-minded people and i will not expect any but them to join my ministry. I dont expect anyone to join a fellowship they do not agree with. Neither am i taking full responsibility for what im about to say either. Both parties involved are at fault.
I didnt come here to make problems or proselytize. My beliefs, viewpoints are ever evolving the more i study. I cannot say exactly what ill believe 10yrs from now for i am not yet there. I came here to make friends, meet UB readers, discuss my opinions and how they vary from others. It is only in this manner, with new ideas on the table, may everyone involved learn something. This is possible because someone may say something in an entirely new way that makes you say "hmmm".
I feel i have given a bad taste of myself. For that i apologize. I allowed others words to dig in deep and took them personally, and i really shouldnt have. With all i have studied, i knew these type of discussions get very heated at times. Rather than remain calm, i took it as a personal attack. For that i apologize. I did not mean to bring war and problems. It is this i am trying to conquer. But at the same time, i feel people should not instigate such either. On that note, i suggest the individual (you know who you are) carefully think what you are going to type. I do not need an apology in response to mine. I would like to believe we will all be more careful in the future.
Bradly, JR, and Rick thankyou for showing such kindness. I may still post here, but i also may just read the posts. As of now im undecided. What is certain is I will continue my study of the UB. It is helping answer many questions.
I refuse to let man come between me and God, so im going to be selective to which posts and threads i reply, if any. This bickering is an unneccessary distraction noone needs. For that i apologize.
I look forward to completion of the UB, i look forward to becoming friends with as many of you as possible given our differences, i look forward to peace, and i look forward to a world where everyone truly understands each other without any bias, stereotypes, etc.
That being said, i apologize for my end of trouble brought to this forum.
God Bless

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

That's THE Spirit, Red! Here's praying--if it's Father's will for you, that you continue reading this book, I believe it truly is a gift from above, like Jesus.

But there appears to be as many takes on the UB as there are believers. It seems we everyone interpret it slightly different, but the indwelling God Fragment and the Spirit of Truth are the same---it's their Spirits working in us that unite and unify our great cosmic family of truth lovers and livers, not our opinions or politics. Read on!

#3 Louis aka loucol

Louis aka loucol

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Science Philosophy and Religion as they relate to The Urantia Book

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Like we Urantians are apt to say; not uniform in thought but unity in spirit. :)
His Will Be Done

#4 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I grew up in the Catholic Church, i experienced wicca, satanism, and atheism. I started studying prophecy at 15-16yrs old. At some point in my life Christ "found" me. . . .

Dear Red,

I could have clicked the "like" button, but my response to your post is more on the order of "appreciate" your story. Each of us has a history, a story, about how each of us got to where we are at this moment. We have many differences of points of view on every subject under the sun. We have many similarities of points of view too. I appreciate your frankness and humility and I thank you for your post. Your story kinda reminded me of the story of the Syrian woman with her ill daughter who waited for Jesus to return to camp, even though the apostles remonstrated with her to leave because the Master needed to rest. But she would not leave. [See " The Syrian Woman" http://www.urantia.o...h-jump-result-0 ] It's a faith story.

All the best,
Meredith

Edited by Meredith Van Woert, 07 December 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#5 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hey Red, It's good to hear from you!

I have a similar personal story, and it has been posted a couple of times on various threads at this forum; so I won't repeat it here. I say read on, and ponder about what you have read, and ask God, our Heavenly Father, if the things you read are true. You may know the truth of all things through the Holy Gost, if you are sincere and faithful.

Among the friends associated here, I am one who sometimes lets his emotions and opinions color my reactions to the conversations and discussions. I have let myself become hurt, offended, mad, and overbearing, on more occasions than I care to count; but I have also experienced surprise, joy, wonder, and satisfaction. I have gone relatively long periods when all I did was read various threads. My opinions have not remained static; quite the opposite, I have grown and changed as I have participated in this Forum.

Please, don't go. You may find satisfaction, inspiration, education, infuriation, and consolation among the friends on this little corner of the World-Wide Web. What you won't find are solitude or capitulation. We, yourself included, can be strong in our faith and loving in our attitudes; but we will be heard... All glory to God!
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#6 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

NAMASTE

#7 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi Red,

I joined this forum after i finished TUB for the first time. Yes there was times when i didnt liked the answers to my posts but as JR said there was times of joy.
I stayed and learned a lot.
Now i cant be ofended by anyones thinking because everyone has right on opinion.
Sometimes i activly participet in forum and sometimes i just read.
It dependes.

After you finish the book much things will be clearer.
If you are not certain about something just pray and ask God, jesus or mother spirit. Answer will come
Peace be upon you

#8 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I was a Marine and saw things I wish I could forget.

The VA and TUB help learn to co-exist. Peace is possible brother.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#9 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I appreciate all your posts. Ill be sticking around. Popping in and out. Occasional post. Ill post questions when i have them. So far UB is answering questions being raised in the following paper i read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users