• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Ive tried searching for online communities of Christian Urantians. Ive found UB-only, open-UB, and even UB-bashing. But no Christian Urantians. So i created one. Please join if youd like and spread the word.
http://christianurantians.boards.net

#2 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Ive tried searching for online communities of Christian Urantians. Ive found UB-only, open-UB, and even UB-bashing. But no Christian Urantians. So i created one. Please join if youd like and spread the word.
http://christianurantians.boards.net

The term "Christian" carries such a "Western-ized" meaning today, and it is negatively perceived by many in the world today as the "...Godless American Capitalist..." religion, that another name is needed. Furthermore, "Christian" and "Christianity" can be thought of today as the religion about the resurrected and miraculous Jesus Christ, while it only partially concerns itself with the actual "good news" that Jesus brought.

I feel that the message Jesus brought can be stated simply: #1 - God is our Father, and he wants all of us, his children, to come home to Paradise; and #2 - All mankind, being children of God, are brothers and sisters; and #3 - Salvation is a gift from God based solely on our faith.

In order to differentiate my beliefs in the message Jesus brought, from the religion that Paul created, called Christianity, I and others prefer the name Jesusonian.

Here are some references about that term from within the Urantia Book.

[P.2092 - 2] But the greatest mistake was made in that, while the human Jesus was recognized as having a religion, the divine Jesus (Christ) almost overnight became a religion. Paul's Christianity made sure of the adoration of the divine Christ, but it almost wholly lost sight of the struggling and valiant human Jesus of Galilee, who, by the valor of his personal religious faith and the heroism of his indwelling Adjuster, ascended from the lowly levels of humanity to become one with divinity, thus becoming the new and living way whereby all mortals may so ascend from humanity to divinity. Mortals in all stages of spirituality and on all worlds may find in the personal life of Jesus that which will strengthen and inspire them as they progress from the lowest spirit levels up to the highest divine values, from the beginning to the end of all personal religious experience.

[P.1032 - 2] Today, in India, the great need is for the portrayal of the Jesusonian gospel--the Fatherhood of God and the sonship and consequent brotherhood of all men, which is personally realized in loving ministry and social service. In India the philosophical framework is existent, the cult structure is present; all that is needed is the vitalizing spark of the dynamic love portrayed in the original gospel of the Son of Man, divested of the Occidental dogmas and doctrines which have tended to make Michael's life bestowal a white man's religion.

[P.1038 - 7] The Tibetans have something of all the leading world religions except the simple teachings of the Jesusonian gospel: sonship with God, brotherhood with man, and ever-ascending citizenship in the eternal universe.

[P.1051 - 1] Here and there throughout Arabia were families and clans that held on to the hazy idea of the one God. Such groups treasured the traditions of Melchizedek, Abraham, Moses, and Zoroaster. There were numerous centers that might have responded to the Jesusonian gospel, but the Christian missionaries of the desert lands were an austere and unyielding group in contrast with the compromisers and innovators who functioned as missionaries in the Mediterranean countries. Had the followers of Jesus taken more seriously his injunction to "go into all the world and preach the gospel," and had they been more gracious in that preaching, less stringent in collateral social requirements of their own devising, then many lands would gladly have received the simple gospel of the carpenter's son, Arabia among them.

[P.2084 - 5] In winning souls for the Master, it is not the first mile of compulsion, duty, or convention that will transform man and his world, but rather the second mile of free service and liberty-loving devotion that betokens the Jesusonian reaching forth to grasp his brother in love and sweep him on under spiritual guidance toward the higher and divine goal of mortal existence. Christianity even now willingly goes the first mile, but mankind languishes and stumbles along in moral darkness because there are so few genuine second-milers--so few professed followers of Jesus who really live and love as he taught his disciples to live and love and serve.

[P.2091 - 10] Some day a reformation in the Christian church may strike deep enough to get back to the unadulterated religious teachings of Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. You may preach a religion about Jesus, but, perforce, you must live the religion of Jesus. In the enthusiasm of Pentecost, Peter unintentionally inaugurated a new religion, the religion of the risen and glorified Christ. The Apostle Paul later on transformed this new gospel into Christianity, a religion embodying his own theologic views and portraying his own personal experience with the Jesus of the Damascus road. The gospel of the kingdom is founded on the personal religious experience of the Jesus of Galilee; Christianity is founded almost exclusively on the personal religious experience of the Apostle Paul. Almost the whole of the New Testament is devoted, not to the portrayal of the significant and inspiring religious life of Jesus, but to a discussion of Paul's religious experience and to a portrayal of his personal religious convictions. The only notable exceptions to this statement, aside from certain parts of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, are the Book of Hebrews and the Epistle of James. Even Peter, in his writing, only once reverted to the personal religious life of his Master. The New Testament is a superb Christian document, but it is only meagerly Jesusonian.

[P.2095 - 3] The Hebrews had a religion of moral sublimity; the Greeks evolved a religion of beauty; Paul and his conferees founded a religion of faith, hope, and charity. Jesus revealed and exemplified a religion of love: security in the Father's love, with joy and satisfaction consequent upon sharing this love in the service of the human brotherhood.

Rev, I hope this clarifies the distinction I pointed out, at least as far as to why I personally prefer to become identified as a Jesusonian.

Edited by JR Sherrod, 02 December 2012 - 01:11 AM.

Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#3 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

It does and i respect that. But what im trying to do is take Christianity back to the roots. Without modern perversions or Paulianity. I guess im in this alone. But a bridge need be formed. Terms corrected. Etc. In the end, it may prove im wasting my time. But i have to try. People need to come to Truth. People need to realize modern definitions arent all that correct. We need to bridge ourselves so it looks appealing. Draws people to it. Too many people are referring to the UB as a cult wiyhout even reading it.

#4 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

I cant reference by page numbers since im using an android app, but what you have in bold for pg2091-10 i guess you can say is what im attempting.

#5 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Hi Red,

Try googling Jesus+Urantia. You'll get 900K hits. The Jesusonian site might reSonate with you :)

#6 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Red - there's an interesting discussion on this under Religion, Theology, and Philosophy titled Both OF and ABOUT Jesus. Please know that Jesus/Michael has a unique, powerful, and critical position to UB readers as the Creator Son, now Master Son of our local universe and as our brother and example who personalized the 4th revelation to humanity and the giftor of the Spirit of Truth. While Jesus is somewhat different for us than for christianity, He is no less improtant or precious. However, Jesus was not a christian but a Jew, and more importantly He was here for all people of all faiths and none, and none were or are excluded. Christianity does exclude and vilify and convert (by death and torture when "necesary") and further distorts the Gospel of Jesus into examples of evil and sin for over 1700 years now.

There is nothing wrong at all with a call for christians to discover and return to the Jesusonian....a noble enterprise. But the Urantia movement must gain traction across the boundries of human religiosity and bigotries....eventually. And the unifying religion to come will not be about Jesus (and His religion was NOT about Himself) but the gospel OF Jesus. The readership is far from uniform or united in this disagreement. But any may do what they find to do to bring Father to humanity and humanity to Father. The Revelation tells us that christianity is the cocoon for the Jesusonian to come....so anything which brings Jesusonian light to christian shadow would be a worthwhile endeavor. I am Jesusonian - not christian. But without Paul, one must wonder the status of the Jesusonian of history. I judge not any who bring light to darkness, doubt, and fear.
Peace be upon you."

#7 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi Red,

Try googling Jesus+Urantia. You'll get 900K hits. The Jesusonian site might reSonate with you :)

Thankyou. Ill check it out.
Im glad i found this site. Studying alone is, well lonely. You guys here are of a great help. Thankyou.
Actually, you here are more helpful than those of the other forum. Seriously. I appreciate your help.

#8 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thankyou. Ill check it out.
Im glad i found this site. Studying alone is, well lonely. You guys here are of a great help. Thankyou.
Actually, you here are more helpful than those of the other forum. Seriously. I appreciate your help.

So . . . Red . . . Do you have a physical copy of the Urantia Book? Although I have electronic version(s) of the Blue Book, on my Kindle, my PC, and my phone, I treasure my physical books. I have physical comfort in quickly flipping to various sections and individual pages as I study. My most-loved, leather covered edition has numerous dog-eared pages, hundreds of highlighted paragraphs, and several bookmarks. It is closer to me now than my pocket knife ever was. If you don't have a copy for yourself, I can send you one. . .
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#9 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

I know how you feel. I have a mini-Bible (KJV) that goes with me everywhere.
At this moment I only have a copy on my phone. Computers broken until i get my finances back in order. But i believe i may have one on the way. I do appreciate your offer. I am extremely grateful of the kindness im finding here. If only the physical world was as this digital utopia.

#10 Cal

Cal

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

It does and i respect that. But what im trying to do is take Christianity back to the roots. Without modern perversions or Paulianity. I guess im in this alone. But a bridge need be formed. Terms corrected. Etc. In the end, it may prove im wasting my time. But i have to try. People need to come to Truth. People need to realize modern definitions arent all that correct. We need to bridge ourselves so it looks appealing. Draws people to it. Too many people are referring to the UB as a cult wiyhout even reading it.

I grew up with a good Christian education and until reading UB, like essentially almost all other Christians I've known, it completely did not compute and was a surprise to come to find that the Biblical Jesus in fact did teach essentially the same thing that we now have from reading and accepting the UB.

Luke 10:25-29:

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

There you have it, straight from the light of the world and the very Son of God, in the Bible itself. From what I remember, if you read the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and everything in them that Jesus says, you find it is really the only time that Jesus actually is recorded as giving a doctrine on how to inherit eternal life. It's right there for any one who wants to accept it out of the Bible from Jesus. I have guesses on why there is a blindspot about this unambiguous statement from the Son of God on how to inherit eternal life -- it should be the main doctrine of all Christianity since it's what Jesus taught, shouldn't it? -- but it's still curious to me that it's not noticed more often that a very different method of obtaining eternal life is instead believed to be the way (belief in atonement) instead of what Jesus said plainly.

So, anyway, in terms of bridges to make, there is actually IMO just the simplicity of needing to live up to and trust in the very words of Jesus in the Bible, that's enough. There aren't really new definitions that need to get across, in my view.

Oh, and relatedly to salvation, there are also all the statements from Jesus about how to obtain forgiveness of sin, all straight from the bible, about it being from forgiving others. Even it's embedded in the Lord's Prayer itself recited hundreds or even thousands of times by anyone of Christian faith who attends services -- "Forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sinned against us" -- but it doesn't quite click for some reason. It didn't for me at least, until the UB. It doesn't register that it really is the way to have forgiveness: forgive other people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users