• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hello all. My name is Rev. Dr. Red. Friends usually call me Rev (short for Reverend, they never finish the word) or Red. You are welcome to do the same. Im hoping we will all become friends. Im a new reader of TUB. So far its making sense to me, though if i have any questions, i trust i can get help here. Ive studied 32 faiths and achieved my Doctorate in Divinity and my legal ordination approximately 2yrs ago. Shortly thereafter I founded my own ministry as I prefer not to preach modern perversions and feel as though i have been "called" to ministerialhood. Ive read alot about TUB and finally bdecided to start reading it. The information pro and anti are both overwhelming. I figured the best way to reach the truth of whether or not TUB is accurate and truthful is to read it myself.
Im also a public-speaker.
More information can be found at http://ReverendDrRed.com and http://SpiritualMessiahMinistries.org

#2 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Dear Rev. Dr. Red,
Welcome to the forum! One unusual feature of these papers is that the wider your background and the deeper your experience, the more interesting they become.
Looking forward to any insights and experiences you care to share,
Nigel

#3 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello, Red

The most important basic suggestion I cannot emphasize enough for you to consider doing while reading the Urantia Book for the first time (and even for every time after your first reading!) is to approach it with a blank slate. And by that, never do I mean that you should approach it with a mind so proverbially open that your brain falls out. Having a "blank slate" doesn't mean just mindlessly absorbing it all like downloading a program onto a computer.

Instead, what I mean is to empty your teacup, set aside all the teachings from other approaches, and give your mental space plenty of room - because the teachings of the UB, the entire story and perspective it essential gives, is so expansive, nuanced, detailed, and intricately coordinated that it can be very easy to get lost in the bushes if you try to interpret it based upon other spiritual paradigms. The language in this book has been deliberately modified and shaped to fit together like specialized pieces of a master puzzle. Because of that, the words do not always carry the exact same meaning and connotations according to popular modern (and even ancient archaic) usage does. And this is simply because much of what the Revelators write is extremely difficult to get right using mortal language.

If you can approach your reading of the UB without trying to force fit it into any other system of thought - if you can allow the UB's essential teachings to stand on their own, and speak to you using the language as it is used in the Papers, without knee-jerk reactions based upon personal definitions for the terms - then you might indeed be about to engage an intensely inspiring experience of epic proportions.

And I'm not exaggerating one bit here.
It really can be that moving, motivating, and good - if you can smoothly flow with it.

Here's hoping your first time through is as fine and as warmly bracing as a sip of well aged scotch in winter!

Edited by Absonite, 29 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#4 Rev. Dr. Red

Rev. Dr. Red

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Studying and preaching Truth.
    More info at http://ReverendDrRed.com

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hello, Red

The most important basic suggestion I cannot emphasize enough for you to consider doing while reading the Urantia Book for the first time (and even for every time after your first reading!) is to approach it with a blank slate. And by that, never do I mean that you should approach it with a mind so proverbially open that your brain falls out. Having a "blank slate" doesn't mean just mindlessly absorbing it all like downloading a program onto a computer.

Instead, what I mean is to empty your teacup, set aside all the teachings from other approaches, and give your mental space plenty of room - because the teachings of the UB, the entire story and perspective it essential gives, is so expansive, nuanced, detailed, and intricately coordinated that it can be very easy to get lost in the bushes if you try to interpret it based upon other spiritual paradigms. The language in this book has been deliberately modified and shaped to fit together like specialized pieces of a master puzzle. Because of that, the words do not always carry the exact same meaning and connotations according to popular modern (and even ancient archaic) usage does. And this is simply because much of what the Revelators write is extremely difficult to get right using mortal language.

If you can approach your reading of the UB without trying to force fit it into any other system of thought - if you can allow the UB's essential teachings to stand on their own, and speak to you using the language as it is used in the Papers, without knee-jerk reactions based upon personal definitions for the terms - then you might indeed be about to engage an intensely inspiring experience of epic proportions.

And I'm not exaggerating one bit here.
It really can be that moving, motivating, and good - if you can smoothly flow with it.

Here's hoping your first time through is as fine and as warmly bracing as a sip of well aged scotch in winter!

Thankyou for your insight. Truthfully, imo, you're making it out to sound more complicated than it really is. Now im not suggesting people dont have problems. They even have problems understanding something as simple as the Bible. Just look at how perverse Christianity has become. I say this as a Christian. My understanding isnt defined by others, but incorporates history, politics, etc. If only people of the different faiths knew how their beliefs originated. The Vatican and Islam both would surely fall. But im not trying to make this a theological discussion. My point is, try not to make it sound so scary. The UB, much like the Bible, are beautiful books and relatively easy reads with only a few bumps if one is able to seperate personal bias from the text. Unfortunately todays society is full of bias and fear which is whats taking people away from Christianity and keeping people away from the UB. We need to show them there is nothing to fear in the messages sent to us.

#5 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Welcome brother,

TUB is not scarry at all but it will make you think.
It will not jepardies the truth You already know but it will expand it to new levels.
And again, it will make you think :)

Peace
Peace be upon you

#6 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Welcome Rev!! Been to your site and believe you, like the UB, present the Jesusonian Gospel of both the scriptures and the Revelation - the life of Jesus is taught by text to be the 4th epochal revelation to mankind and is presented in part 4. As you suggest, our Revelation is not particularly dense, and is filled with confirmations of truths well known and discovered, without the text, by truth seekers. Indeed, over 1000 of humanities highest concepts are presented by text throughout. Father's love, mercy, patience, purpose, plan, process and the mortal's ascension journey are all presented in detail and with continuity of concept and perspective. Hope you enjoy. The revelation teaches that modern christianity remains the cocoon of the Jesusonian for its re-emergence in times to come...whether sooner or later is not detailed. All come to this like all other text, with preconception and misconception and we are taught that our attachments to our truth-set (prejudice) can be an obstacle to greater truths still to be discovered and discerned. And that all truths must be personalized by faith acts within experience to realize them...that beliefs and knowledge are secondary to faith and love in spirit progress. As a Jesusonian escapee from the fundamental church about Jesus myself (many here are such), I hope you find the UB a comforting source of study and prayerful contemplation. The least you may expect is an expansion of concepts and perspective of our Father and His Way. Peace new friend.
Peace be upon you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users