204 replies to this topic

#21 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

With the growing census demographic of people who claim to be spiritual but not religious, is this a ripe time for promotion of the Urantia Book?

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#22 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

With the growing census demographic of people who claim to be spiritual but not religious, is this a ripe time for promotion of the Urantia Book?

Attraction works better :wub:

#23 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Attraction works better :wub:

People need to know what it is first before becoming attracted to it. There should be Urantia Books in every major bookstore and study groups wherever there are study groups for other books like A Course in Miracles. I see no reason why a Unity Church, for example, shouldn't have a Urantia Book study group.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#24 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

People need to know what it is first before becoming attracted to it. There should be Urantia Books in every major bookstore and study groups wherever there are study groups for other books like A Course in Miracles. I see no reason why a Unity Church, for example, shouldn't have a Urantia Book study group.

I agree with Rick Warren on this point; attraction works better BECAUSE... Attraction is a multi-sensory response to the display of actions, attitudes, faiths, and demeanor. I believe that the value of the Urantia Book is in the permanent changes in my behavior, in my attitudes, my faiths, and my aspirations. I have been a teacher of adults for many years, and I know what I'm saying.

When I am stopped by folks whom I have known for long times, and asked; "Why are you so happy, confident, cheerful, positive, certain, steady, unafraid, (or whatever)..." it is the golden opportunity to share what has been the source of such outward displays. I am asked, by other teachers in my church, (among others); "...how do you know...?" or "...where can I learn..." or some similar questions. I am ready with an answer up to the capacity of the questioner, and I freely share. I have not been accused of preaching false doctrine or of apostasy, nor have I upset my brother or sister seeker of truth or spirituality. I try to give suck to babes; feed milk to the tender & weak; and only offer meat to those prepared to eat!

I discovered the Urantia Book in a retail bookstore; and I have placed TUB in libraries. I always seek out the book in whatever library I am in, just to note its condition (is it like-new, or is it well used, for instance). I have cultivated a few folks who are beginning to study with me, and it is a grand thing to see their eyes light up when they suddenly "get it" concerning some one or another topic.

These experiences have happened because of a personal attraction to someone (me, in this case) who is living life confidently and joyfully because of what has been learned by reading TUB and putting it into practice. I am nowhere as "deep" or "well-versed" in this book as many others; but that simply does not matter! We who seek God are progressing, and progression is changing us, and constant change, even in the face of adversity, is life! I am confident I have ALREADY survived, so I live joyfully in the kingdom, and my growing spirituality is "fragrant" to others - which is attracting to them; and I point them ultimately to God.

Jesus changed the whole course of human history on this little sphere, and is changing humanity on ten million spheres - and he left not one written word! The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth was most effectively spread word-of-mouth, and shared by living it. So too, are the Urantia Book's teachings going to be spread by those who live them and have joy & confidence in the face of doom, despair, and calamity.

As I said, this is my thinking, and why I have confidence, joy, and direction in my life.

Edited by JR Sherrod, 30 November 2012 - 02:13 AM.

Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#25 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Right now, the general public sees the Urantia Book as some obscure text in the occult or new age section of the bookstore, if they've heard of it at all. What is a possible remedy to that situation? Most people who would be interested in the book simply have never heard of it.

Teilhard de Chardin

#26 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Right now, the general public sees the Urantia Book as some obscure text in the occult or new age section of the bookstore, if they've heard of it at all. What is a possible remedy to that situation? Most people who would be interested in the book simply have never heard of it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My personal feeling is that the answer to your question lies within each of us as individuals.
Maybe we should all reflect on: "what are we doing with all of this information"?
What do you think was the intention of the revealators in giving us the text?
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#27 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Howard, don't you think the Angels and Adjusters know who is ready, right for it, and who isn't? They find ways to connect people with the book, especially if there is an interest, which is to say, they are ready and asking. No?

So often you hear reader/believers say "the book found me". There is something to that, imo.

#28 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My personal feeling is that the answer to your question lies within each of us as individuals.
Maybe we should all reflect on: "what are we doing with all of this information"?
What do you think was the intention of the revealators in giving us the text?

[P.1866 - §2] "Sooner or later another and greater John the Baptist is due to arise proclaiming "the kingdom of God is at hand"--meaning a return to the high spiritual concept of Jesus, who proclaimed that the kingdom is the will of his heavenly Father dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer--and doing all this without in any way referring either to the visible church on earth or to the anticipated second coming of Christ. There must come a revival of the actual teachings of Jesus, ..."

I think this is to be the beginning of the rise of world-wide knowledge about and acceptance of the Urantia Book and its epochal revelations.
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#29 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I might add that if the revealators had intended the text to be disseminated by an established organization, the Pope would have been Saddler's sleeping subject?
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#30 MB Melody

MB Melody

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Dear friends,

In view of the fact that several admiring references have been made to Dr. Meredith Sprunger’s essays and lifework, as well as several comments regarding both dissemination and new institutions, the following material may be understood as implicitly relevant to the OP which started this thread. In my opinion, the mature and supremely valuable in-depth research and development of actionable plans from Meredith’s professional and prophetic vision will require a dedicated and sustained group research effort not practicable within the limitations of this, or any existing, forum that I’m aware of. Submitted here for the serious consideration of those interested or inclined…

Sprunger video – 30:21 minute Montreal presentation (1993)
Future of the FER – (text version)

selected excerpts:
“There has been increasing longing in the Urantia movement for a religious community which goes beyond the usual study group, one that furnishes a sense of spiritual family and communion, along with worship and a community identity
Study groups and Societies, which are primarily intellectual social groups, do not fill all the functions of the traditional religious institutions although they may serve as preliminary steps toward such religious institutions…

I believe the single most important activity of the Urantia movement, at this time, is to focus on the development of resources which may help actualize new religious institutions. Hopefully, such institutions will serve as vehicles through which the Fifth Epochal Revelation can be carried out into the world and will enculturate our society…

We need dedicated students of the Urantia Book researching appropriate symbolism and socio-religious expression of the Fifth Epochal Revelation. I’m confident that sooner or later such new religious institutions will evolve in the Urantia movement…

There’s a great need for institutions in our day, religious institutions to serve on the growing edge of the spiritual development of our world, religious institutions which will appeal to the highest spiritual aspirations of humankind…

We must evolve religious institutions which will bring spiritual nourishment to hungry souls, within which we can achieve personal spiritual significance and a level of service and worship heretofore not possible by individuals working singly or in study groups or in outmoded religious institutions. With the Father’s guidance they will become social-religious vehicles carrying the Fifth Epochal Revelation throughout the world. This, I believe, is the most important challenge of our times. And looking at our society and all of its problems, we are in desperate need of these kinds of institutions leavening our entire society and world…

(T)he lessons of history and the teachings of the Urantia Book tell us that the most effective agents of social change are new religious institutions embodying larger spiritual truths. The Supreme works from the grassroots up, not from the top down. This approach is not as romantic as our idealistic vision, but it is the only realistic process that builds the foundation for social and spiritual growth in any society or culture. This can be verified by history, repeatedly…

There will be many types of new religious organizations stemming from the Fifth Epochal Revelation. Research teams need to prepare materials for possible use by such new religious organizations…

Ideally, there should be a number of teams doing different types of research. Even if they should engage in similar studies, the diverse materials which they will come up with will enrich the resource pool which is available to all…

(I)t is now time, in my judgment, to initiate the next step in creating the social institutional foundations for the outreach of the FER. It is time to promote research in discovering appropriate symbolism and socio-religious expression of the FER

The authors of the UB recognize that every epochal revelation stimulates the creation of new religious institutions and declare that the restatement of the religion of Jesus must develop a new and appropriate symbolism…

Robert Greenleaf, in his book Servant Leadership, has a vision of such an institution. “As a gathering of persons who have accepted a common purpose and a common discipline to guide the pursuit of that purpose to the end that each involved person reaches higher fulfillment as a person through serving and being served by this common venture than would be achieved alone or in a less committed relationship.”…

There are many areas of research for those interested in building resources to use in initiating a new religious organization. These materials should not be seen as definitive but serve as stimuli for creative thinking whereby these groups may be helped to make their own carefully considered decisions. The organization of dedicated research teams to search for appropriate symbolism and socio-religious expression of the FER will hopefully prepare the soil for the advent of grassroots religious institutions which will become the channels of spiritual power bringing the FER to our troubled and spiritually hungry world…

Study groups and Urantia Societies are simply not adequate to meet the religious needs of most individuals. They are self-contained and limited communities which have the potential of being forerunners to the religious institutions which are necessary to enculturate human society. The future of the FER rests upon the spiritual and evangelical dynamics of new religious institutions which will carry it to the four corners of the world. I believe the birth of such religious institutions is a necessary step in the fulfillment of the mission of the Urantia movement.”

In good spirit,
MMelody

#31 Cal

Cal

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Howard, don't you think the Angels and Adjusters know who is ready, right for it, and who isn't? They find ways to connect people with the book, especially if there is an interest, which is to say, they are ready and asking. No?

Yet what if you yourself (anybody reading this) are the way that the angels and Adjusters are hoping (even needing) to connect other people with the book in order for it to be accomplished? Jesus does tell us to actively think in terms of other people's needs for truth and their being in spiritual darkness as a challenge for us, even people who don't even seem like they would have an interest or are ready (maybe especially them), and even goes so far as to imply we're cowards if we don't.

Jesus' response about a "cruel and unjust foreman" a young man hoped God would remove from his life:

Paper 130 section 2 -- "Maybe you are the salt which is to make this brother more agreeable to all other men; that is, if you have not lost your savor. ... There is no adventure in the course of mortal existence more enthralling than to enjoy the exhilaration of becoming the material life partner with spiritual energy and divine truth in one of their triumphant struggles with error and evil. It is a marvelous and transforming experience to become the living channel of spiritual light to the mortal who sits in spiritual darkness. If you are more blessed with truth than is this man, his need should challenge you. Surely you are not the coward who could stand by on the seashore and watch a fellow man who could not swim perish! How much more of value is this man's soul floundering in darkness compared to his body drowning in water!"

Interestingly on this topic he took out both a big carrot ("no adventure more enthralling") and big stick ("surely you are not a coward") to doubly prod the point home that when you're blessed with being given truth you're also being given a combo opportunity + challenge to share it. I don't think this would necessarily mean the UB itself being given out at all circumstances to every person you meet, there's also the need to be "as wise as serpents and harmless as doves" and to give "spiritual milk to spiritual babes" but I agree there is a large wide gulf between the number of people in the world who would directly find the book of value and people who even know about it, and other people's efforts (any of our own) to narrow the gulf are doing work with angels and Adjusters.

Edited by Cal, 30 November 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#32 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

So often you hear reader/believers say "the book found me". There is something to that, imo.

Do you have something personally against having the Urantia Book available in every major bookstore and public library? Do you have something against having Urantia Book study groups in church basements, community centers and other places in which the general public congregates? If so, why?

Having a study group inside a church basement or community center instead of inside a private home doesn't mean that the church endorses or supports the Urantia Book. It's just a means of taking advantage of the public spaces that are available so that people can be attracted to the book instead of never hearing about it. AA meetings are often held in public places and yet the program is based on attraction rather than promotion. Even having a Urantia study group listed in the yellow pages like AA is wouldn't amount to advertising.

Edited by Howard509, 01 December 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Teilhard de Chardin

#33 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Do you have something personally against having the Urantia Book available in every major bookstore and public library? Do you have something against having Urantia Book study groups in church basements, community centers and other places in which the general public congregates? If so, why?

Having a study group inside a church basement or community center instead of inside a private home doesn't mean that the church endorses or supports the Urantia Book. It's just a means of taking advantage of the public spaces that are available so that people can be attracted to the book instead of never hearing about it. AA meetings are often held in public places and yet the program is based on attraction rather than promotion. Even having a Urantia study group listed in the yellow pages like AA is wouldn't amount to advertising.

All major bookstores have it already. And with the advent of personal and mobile computers times are rapidly changing, bookstores are quickly fading and closing, libraries are becoming Web-nodes over night. Yes, having SGs wherever they are welcome is good, imo. In fact, those are an excellent way to attract readers! But aren't yellow pages being quickly replaced by Google, Bing, etc, which are much faster and more comprehensive.

#34 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

All major bookstores have it already. And with the advent of personal and mobile computers times are rapidly changing, bookstores are quickly fading and closing, libraries are becoming Web-nodes over night. Yes, having SGs wherever they are welcome is good, imo. In fact, those are an excellent way to attract readers! But aren't yellow pages being quickly replaced by Google, Bing, etc, which are much faster and more comprehensive.

The point still stands that the general population is woefully unaware of the Urantia Book, even the many people who would be most likely to read it if they had the chance. What makes the Seth Material, Conversations With God and A Course in Miracles so popular? I don't see anything inherent to these books that makes them superior to the Urantia Book. Why would I be so serious about having widespread knowledge and availability of the Urantia Book if I didn't personally believe and take seriously the spiritual truths contained therein?

Teilhard de Chardin

#35 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Advertising TUB would sensationalize, trivialize and marginalize it's true purpose, a huge, huge mistake. Allow the angels, Spirit of Truth and Thought Adjusters to do their own work. They don't need creatures interfering and trying to improve on it. As long as the book is available, there is no need to convince people to read it or draw them to it. It has its own mysterious allure. Just let it be.

#36 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

I, for one, am truly amazed by the great strides in publication, translation, digital/online access, multiple private websites, the classes and forums, etc. From where the fellowship of the Revelation was in the 70s to now is exponential and expanding by acceleration. One may promote the Revelation however one sees fit, eh? Or donate time and money to hundreds of different efforts already underway. One may start a church or TV ministry or a website to shout it from the rooftops. Much of what has been accomplished is by the cooperative efforts of mortals and celestials to feed the Jesusonian larvae still to emerge. Others adopt teachings of TUB within their faith or church. Many simply grow in the spirit and give love examples to our world. I find it interesting that there is not more confidence in the angels, midwayers, Spirit of Truth, and all of Father's agents of progress to manage human affairs. Their time unit perspective does not respond to mortal impatience and I am confident they can see great progress with the mustard seed which sprouted just over 50 years ago.
Peace be upon you."

#37 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Patience brother Howard.
Patience.

What is for us a year, it is just one glimpse in Universe time.

Patience
Peace be upon you

#38 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

There should be more secondary works for the Urantia Book in major bookstores. There are entire sections of secondary works for a A Course in Miracles. These secondary works for the Urantia Book exist but they are mostly only available online. Secondary works introduce a larger audience to the text by simplifying it and thus making it more easily applicable to the newcomer to their everyday lives.

This article talks about the fact that, if secondary works for the Urantia Book don't become more available in bookstores, it may go the way of Oahspe.

http://www.squarecir...ksWhatWorks.pdf

When I explain these concerns, they shouldn't sound far out or off the wall. I haven't said anything that others haven't already said.

Edited by Howard509, 01 December 2012 - 01:37 PM.

Teilhard de Chardin

#39 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

There should be more secondary works for the Urantia Book in major bookstores. There are entire sections of secondary works for a A Course in Miracles. These secondary works for the Urantia Book exist but they are mostly only available online. Secondary works introduce a larger audience to the text by simplifying it and thus making it more easily applicable to the newcomer to their everyday lives.

This article talks about the fact that, if secondary works for the Urantia Book don't become more available in bookstores, it may go the way of Oahspe.

http://www.squarecir...ksWhatWorks.pdf

When I explain these concerns, they shouldn't sound far out or off the wall. I haven't said anything that others haven't already said.

Woo-Hoo, Howard! I have never been to the Square Circles website; and I like it. It seems chock-full of interesting stuff, and I plan to scour it.

Let me say a tiny bit about one secondary work in progress, "Success...! in the School of Mortality." I am working to finalize this manuscript, and hope to publish it in 2013. I am not plugging my efforts, just adding my voice to the throng who are actually catching your vision for broad support for, and positive follow-on works inspired by the Urantia Book. It will happen, one day soon, that we will witness a huge assortment of non-fiction and fiction books inspired by TUB. Don't hold your breath, but be confident that your concerns for the positive spread of our Universe Sovereign's wonderful message is seeing results quickly, and from widely diverse places on our little rock!

As brother Pike said; "Patience brother Howard. Patience. What is for us a year, it is just one glimpse in Universe time."

I, myself, am quite enthused by the blossoming of interest in, and study of this great Blue Book!

Edited by JR Sherrod, 01 December 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#40 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

None criticize efforts to spread the Revelation. But many are spreading it and have been for a very long time and the concentric radius of ripples from the stone dropped in the pond some 55 years ago are expanded greatly and expanding still. Your concerns and priorities Howard provide a significant opportunity for you....promotion of secondary works as an outreach ministry in support of the Revelation's distribution and readership. Good idea. There are likely supporters for such an endeavor, which may need some leadership and management. Anything any can do to make it available to all who seek truth is adding to its future potential, eh? But it is for those who thirst and not those who seek nothing more than what they "believe" already. But the apetite for priestless religiosity and spiritization is growing I agree. I trust the timing and the celestial management of the Revelation will be fulfilled in its time and way. Those of us with the gift already, are obliged to learn and live the lessons therein and become worthy stewards of both the text and its truths.
Peace be upon you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users