204 replies to this topic

#1 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

I'd like this to be a thread in which we can share why we read the Urantia Book instead of following some "new age" sect like the Raelians or Hare Krishnas or how we find something in the Urantia Book that was missing for us in traditional religions.

I was raised in the Catholic faith. As a result, I've always had an interest in mysticism and also in finding a middle way between religion and science. I believe the Urantia Book is a very mystical text and its harmony of religion and science is something that was foreshadowed by the Catholic priest Teilhard de Chardin.

I started reading the Urantia Book at a time when I had strong doubts in my Christian faith. I was reading books by historical Jesus scholars like Shelby Spong and Dom Crossan who left me questioning whether Jesus really was the Son of God or whether he rose from the dead. I discovered the Urantia Book by accident by looking up "the religion of Jesus vs. religion about Jesus" on Google.

I started reading the Urantia Book at its Jesus section and was amazed of how it brought Jesus to life as a flesh and blood historical person but also as the loving Savior of the world. Since then, I've read the Jesus section almost in its entirety, and I no longer doubt that Jesus is the Son of God or that he rose from the dead, albeit in a morontial form.

The Urantia Book gives me comfort and assurance about the afterlife and I'm simply amazed by the detail it gives for the morontial existence and for the future age of light and life on earth. I previously believed that the afterlife was a time of spiritual progress and that the ultimate goal of human evolution is the Kingdom of God on earth but the Urantia Book confirmed and gave detail to these beliefs.

The first chapters on the nature of God give the most clear explanation of God's love and care for all beings that I've ever read from any source. The book's explanation of there being life on other worlds confirmed what I had read in the writings of Erik Von Daniken and had believed since I was a small child. I appreciate the fairness and tolerance it gives to the various world religions in trying to see the truth and common ground shared between them.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that the Urantia Book enhanced my Christian faith, rather than replacing it, and has answered more spiritual questions than any source I've ever seen. If God wanted to update the Bible with modern science and learning, the Urantia Book would have to be that new revelation. I don't believe the Urantia Book is infallible and it never claims to be, yet I must say it is perhaps the most important spiritual book of the 20th century.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'd like this to be a thread in which we can share why we read the Urantia Book instead of following some "new age" sect like the Raelians or Hare Krishnas or how we find something in the Urantia Book that was missing for us in traditional religions.

I was raised in the Catholic faith. As a result, I've always had an interest in mysticism and also in finding a middle way between religion and science. I believe the Urantia Book is a very mystical text and its harmony of religion and science is something that was foreshadowed by the Catholic priest Teilhard de Chardin.

I started reading the Urantia Book at a time when I had strong doubts in my Christian faith. I was reading books by historical Jesus scholars like Shelby Spong and Dom Crossan who left me questioning whether Jesus really was the Son of God or whether he rose from the dead. I discovered the Urantia Book by accident by looking up "the religion of Jesus vs. religion about Jesus" on Google.

I started reading the Urantia Book at its Jesus section and was amazed of how it brought Jesus to life as a flesh and blood historical person but also as the loving Savior of the world. Since then, I've read the Jesus section almost in its entirety, and I no longer doubt that Jesus is the Son of God or that he rose from the dead, albeit in a morontial form.

The Urantia Book gives me comfort and assurance about the afterlife and I'm simply amazed by the detail it gives for the morontial existence and for the future age of light and life on earth. I previously believed that the afterlife was a time of spiritual progress and that the ultimate goal of human evolution is the Kingdom of God on earth but the Urantia Book confirmed and gave detail to these beliefs.

The first chapters on the nature of God give the most clear explanation of God's love and care for all beings that I've ever read from any source. The book's explanation of there being life on other worlds confirmed what I had read in the writings of Erik Von Daniken and had believed since I was a small child. I appreciate the fairness and tolerance it gives to the various world religions in trying to see the truth and common ground shared between them.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that the Urantia Book enhanced my Christian faith, rather than replacing it, and has answered more spiritual questions than any source I've ever seen. If God wanted to update the Bible with modern science and learning, the Urantia Book would have to be that new revelation. I don't believe the Urantia Book is infallible and it never claims to be, yet I must say it is perhaps the most important spiritual book of the 20th century.

I think, in your case, the revelation performed exactly as intended, your faith was lagging because the old revelations were being beaten back by non superstitious, non mystical science, like much of the rest of our populace is beginning to let go of belief in hell, charms and magic. The Revelators and every other celestial in the region surely began to realize in the 18th and 19th century, if not before, that mankind was headed toward an age of fast progress and needed an updated version of truth.

But this is too tepid:

"...I must say it is perhaps the most important spiritual book of the 20th century."

I would remove the word perhaps and extend the time to the 21st century and well beyond. This Revelation has only begun its ministry, but I don't find one sentence in it the least bit "mystical". And it's not simply a spiritual book, it is a book of history and destiny! To me the Papers destroy all things mystical with raw facts and real truth. Congratulations on finding and recognizing it, having the courage to confront and correct the old, the distorted, the out of date.

#3 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

I think, in your case, the revelation performed exactly as intended, your faith was lagging because the old revelations were being beaten back by non superstitious, non mystical science, like much of the rest of our populace is beginning to let go of belief in hell, charms and magic. The Revelators and every other celestial in the region surely began to realize in the 18th and 19th century, if not before, that mankind was headed toward an age of fast progress and needed an updated version of truth.

But this is too tepid:

I would remove the word perhaps and extend the time to the 21st century and well beyond. This Revelation has only begun its ministry, but I don't find one sentence in it the least bit "mystical". And it's not simply a spiritual book, it is a book of history and destiny! To me the Papers destroy all things mystical with raw facts and real truth. Congratulations on finding and recognizing it, having the courage to confront and correct the old, the distorted, the out of date.

I believe the Urantia Book is mystical in this sense:

mys·ti·cism
   [mis-tuh-siz-uhm] mystics.
a doctrine of an immediate spiritual intuition of truths believed to transcend ordinary understanding, or of a direct, intimate union of the soul with God through contemplation or ecstasy.
obscure thought or speculation.

mysticism (ˈmɪstɪˌsɪzəm)n 1. belief in or experience of a reality surpassing normal human understanding or experience, esp a reality perceived as essential to the nature of life 2. a system of contemplative prayer and spirituality aimed at achieving direct intuitive experience of the divine 3. obscure or confused belief or thought

http://dictionary.re...e/mysticism?s=t

Edited by Howard509, 26 November 2012 - 05:38 AM.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

It is to be hoped that the christian UB student will discover the Jesusonian gospel within the Revelation...if they have not yet discerned its distinction from the Judeao/Paulinian doctrines imbedded within christianity already. For truly one cannot validate nor justify redemption and salvation by the blood of any, especially the innocent nor can one cling to original sin or armageddon's judgement to come.....none of which are Jesusonian as presented within christianity itself. One would hope that the Revelation will appeal to those, who like Howard, are less attached to the priests and preachers of fear and their littanies and rites, but remain faithful to their belief in Jesus, the Son of Man and God. The value of any religion or congregation is defined by its effect upon the individual religionist....not by its truth content. Religion must be a personal experience...it may be shared in certain ways within congregation but 100 million catholics or baptists or Jews or budhists have 100 million religions and religious experiences. Let us hope other or all religionists will also come to the Revelation for enlightenment and upliftment into greater truth and spirit progress. Those of us who persist in our studies of the Revelation and come, eventually, to believe in its entirety as well as its truths within the whole find a sublime religious experience unfold. The Revelation is not a religion per se, but it provides all that any need to progress in the spirit and discover Father within and experience religion as it was intended....personal relationship with Father and Michael by their gifts of mind and spirit ministry to each, freely and fully without regard to mortal or religious affiliations or institutions. The Revelation liberates the slaves of church and makes them free will masters of their own destiny...many, to return to church as renewed and reinvigorated soldiers of the cross. Fear is vanquished by the Revelation....fear is still the primary motivater of far too many religions and their priests/preachers. Anything based in fear casts shadow and dimminishes truth thereby. All religions would profit and prosper by reducing fear content and increasing love content. So glad the Revelation has helped you Howard.....as it has me.
Peace be upon you."

#5 Geoff

Geoff

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Innovation

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi Howard, et al,

For me it was Anglican rather than Catholic. I never gave mysticism any credibility. The biblical contradictions made me question the Bible. I could see no need for a God. I could rationalize creation and evolution without his intervention. The UB turned the tables around. It was not so much that I needed God, it was that God needed me.God, as a singularity, could not experience interactions (the epitome of which is Love) with others. The internal logical consistency (e.g. the day date combination matches) and the science convinced me of its authenticity and allowed me to look past its creation mechanism. Now, the more I read, the more I am inspired. It just makes so much sense! It is exciting!

Geoff

#6 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I believe the Urantia Book is mystical in this sense:

mys·ti·cism
   [mis-tuh-siz-uhm] mystics.
a doctrine of an immediate spiritual intuition of truths believed to transcend ordinary understanding, or of a direct, intimate union of the soul with God through contemplation or ecstasy.
obscure thought or speculation.

mysticism (ˈmɪstɪˌsɪzəm)n 1. belief in or experience of a reality surpassing normal human understanding or experience, esp a reality perceived as essential to the nature of life 2. a system of contemplative prayer and spirituality aimed at achieving direct intuitive experience of the divine 3. obscure or confused belief or thought

http://dictionary.re...e/mysticism?s=t

I agree with you Howard. But I should warn you that among TUB purists the word mysticism creates a sense of revulsion. I long ago abandoned the use of the word and now substitute the phrase, practice of the presence of God, which is much less antagonizing, albeit, just as mystifying. The key is to stress socialization of the personality along with the practice of the presence of God, the Mystery Monitor. Somewhere on this forum I devoted an entire thread to that subject.

91:7.1 Mysticism, as the technique of the cultivation of the consciousness of the presence of God, is altogether praiseworthy, but when such practices lead to social isolation and culminate in religious fanaticism, they are all but reprehensible.

#7 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Point taken, Friends. Let the UB be a mystical book if you wish, but please, let it be by the author's definition:

...Mysticism, as the technique of the cultivation of the consciousness of the presence of God, is altogether praiseworthy, but when such practices lead to social isolation and culminate in religious fanaticism, they are all but reprehensible.

These common definitions could mean anything, from prayer and worship to examining animal entrails and practicing magic, no?

1.belief in or experience of a reality surpassing normal human understanding or experience, esp a reality perceived as essential to the nature of life

2. a system of contemplative prayer and spirituality aimed at achieving direct intuitive experience of the divine

3. obscure or confused belief or thought

And if I must wear the purist label, let it be for concern of the consequences of mixing the old and false mysticism with the newer and truer.

#8 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

These common definitions could mean anything, from prayer and worship to examining animal entrails and practicing magic, no?

Magic has to do with the occult supernatural and belief systems. Experience with the supernatural is unexplainable, therefore minds are prone to invent explanations. It's understandable and actually quite a necessary part of the evolution of religion. Unfortunately, some are are still caught in the cultural snares of occultism and magical thinking. It's a process and a very delicate one at that. You can't simply pry away these beliefs and plug the hole with something else; it just doesn't work that way.

And if I must wear the purist label, let it be for concern of the consequences of mixing the old and false mysticism with the newer and truer.

As much as I understand your concern and as much as I desire it myself, I'm afraid that it is rather unlikely.

92:7.2 New religions cannot be invented; they are either evolved, or else they are suddenly revealed. All new evolutionary religions are merely advancing expressions of the old beliefs, new adaptations and adjustments. The old does not cease to exist; it is merged with the new, even as Sikhism budded and blossomed out of the soil and forms of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and other contemporary cults.

#9 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I agree with you Howard. But I should warn you that among TUB purists the word mysticism creates a sense of revulsion. I long ago abandoned the use of the word and now substitute the phrase, practice of the presence of God, which is much less antagonizing, albeit, just as mystifying. The key is to stress socialization of the personality along with the practice of the presence of God, the Mystery Monitor. Somewhere on this forum I devoted an entire thread to that subject.

91:7.1 Mysticism, as the technique of the cultivation of the consciousness of the presence of God, is altogether praiseworthy, but when such practices lead to social isolation and culminate in religious fanaticism, they are all but reprehensible.

I've heard Urantians use the term "stillness meditation."

Teilhard de Chardin

#10 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I would remove the word perhaps and extend the time to the 21st century and well beyond.

I don't want to go too far in praising the Urantia Book, given that it's a means rather than an end.

In this article, Meredith Sprunger explained that, like any text, the Urantia Book isn't immune to scholarly evaluation. It has certain details that may not be historically or scientifically accurate. What matters is the overall spiritual picture that the book presents.

http://urantia-book....ers/doc590.html

As Bill Sadler Jr. wrote in this article, our belief in the Father is more important than our belief in the Urantia Book itself.

www.urantiausa.com/pdfs/Not%20A%20Church%20Or%20Sect.pdf

Edited by Howard509, 26 November 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Teilhard de Chardin

#11 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I've heard Urantians use the term "stillness meditation."

Be careful with that.

#12 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Howard says, " It has certain details that may not be historically or scientifically accurate. What matters is the overall spiritual picture that the book presents." This is but an opinion...yours....and while you are entitled to it, again you infer without evidence and then declare, also without evidence. Getting a little tiresome actually. Please present any evidence of inaccuracies you claim...or even that text you believe inaccurate. And there is nothing in our Revelation that does NOT matter. You could restate this, "in my opinion" or "in my experience" as to what is or is not important to you. You have no right and no capability to determine what's important to any other believer, seeker, student, or pilgrim. Your ego is way out in front of your words here. Pilgrim Sadler was accurate...your extrapolation is inaccurate. Can you discern the difference? The Revelation is a gift from Nebadon's Master Son, local universe Creator Son....and was written by those who witnessed, participated in, were present or otherwise have contemporeneous knowledge of that which they wrote. It was also thoroughly edited prior to delivery and even during delivery to make it as replete as possible given one million words and restrictions on content. You who do not believe the Revelation is a Revelation should have a little respect for those who do so believe....especially as you mine those concepts you find true while holding on to your misconceptions of prejudice. None need believe. But nonbelievers need to dispute text with clarity of position and conflicting "facts" or "truths" for comparison, not by unsubstantiated declarations. Please state your opinions as opinions. An opinion is not fact, and a fact is not truth, and truths are not TRUTH - which no mortal mind can approach, let alone grasp.

There are many forms and disciplines of "meditation"....but Jesus/Michael actually had conversation and adoring worship and reflective thought IMO and not much "meditation" which is a tool to calm and quiet the chaotic noise within mortal mind....concentration to emptiness and silence of mind.....very effective for anxiety release and control of emotion by mind. Unfortunately, few meditative disciplines (but there are those too) teach the disciple to reach beyond the quieted mind to God mind to create communion and communication with Father. Meditation is a "means rather than an end" when properly employed. And it is a tool of the novice for a master enters such a state effortlessly and at will and regardless of material chaos all about. I recommend both meditation and yoga as tools to prepare the mind and material temple for development of will, focus, concentration, health, and discernment. But it is no solution to spiritization and soul building until taken further than the "stillness" of mind to connect the mind and spirit circuits to Father and His ministries.
Peace be upon you."

#13 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Howard says, " It has certain details that may not be historically or scientifically accurate. What matters is the overall spiritual picture that the book presents." This is but an opinion...yours....and while you are entitled to it, again you infer without evidence and then declare, also without evidence. Getting a little tiresome actually. Please present any evidence of inaccuracies you claim...or even that text you believe inaccurate. And there is nothing in our Revelation that does NOT matter. You could restate this, "in my opinion" or "in my experience" as to what is or is not important to you. You have no right and no capability to determine what's important to any other believer, seeker, student, or pilgrim. Your ego is way out in front of your words here. Pilgrim Sadler was accurate...your extrapolation is inaccurate. Can you discern the difference? The Revelation is a gift from Nebadon's Master Son, local universe Creator Son....and was written by those who witnessed, participated in, were present or otherwise have contemporeneous knowledge of that which they wrote. It was also thoroughly edited prior to delivery and even during delivery to make it as replete as possible given one million words and restrictions on content. You who do not believe the Revelation is a Revelation should have a little respect for those who do so believe....especially as you mine those concepts you find true while holding on to your misconceptions of prejudice. None need believe. But nonbelievers need to dispute text with clarity of position and conflicting "facts" or "truths" for comparison, not by unsubstantiated declarations. Please state your opinions as opinions. An opinion is not fact, and a fact is not truth, and truths are not TRUTH - which no mortal mind can approach, let alone grasp.

There are many forms and disciplines of "meditation"....but Jesus/Michael actually had conversation and adoring worship and reflective thought IMO and not much "meditation" which is a tool to calm and quiet the chaotic noise within mortal mind....concentration to emptiness and silence of mind.....very effective for anxiety release and control of emotion by mind. Unfortunately, few meditative disciplines (but there are those too) teach the disciple to reach beyond the quieted mind to God mind to create communion and communication with Father. Meditation is a "means rather than an end" when properly employed. And it is a tool of the novice for a master enters such a state effortlessly and at will and regardless of material chaos all about. I recommend both meditation and yoga as tools to prepare the mind and material temple for development of will, focus, concentration, health, and discernment. But it is no solution to spiritization and soul building until taken further than the "stillness" of mind to connect the mind and spirit circuits to Father and His ministries.

If you want to know my opinion, please read the article by Sprunger and perhaps comment on it. As for stillness mediation, while I don't know a whole lot about the practice, it's frequently recommended by Urantians as based in Jesus' spiritual practice.

Teilhard de Chardin

#14 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Regardless of whether the Urantia Book is of celestial or human origin, it's clearly written by someone with a vast knowledge of the Bible, Christian theology and church history. I believe the Urantia Book deserves its place among the great works of Christian literature, even if it's not strictly a traditional interpretation of Christianity. Christians around the world have found a renewal of their faith from reading the Urantia Book.

Teilhard de Chardin

#15 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Mormon is my background.
Mormons understand brotherhood but it gets a little difficult outside of membership.
Even as a child, the rituals did not make any sense to me.
As far as a literary work, I place the Urantia Book above everything else as it is absolutely unique.
My best friend taught comparative literature in Germany and died before he could work on it but I think he would have agreed.
But it is not the literary nature of the book so much as it is the message.
I fear the idea of any organized religion getting thier hands on it and incorporating it into their teachings.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#16 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

UB appealed to me because of its cosmology, angelic hierarchy, and after-life narrative.

Edited by brooklyn_born, 26 November 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#17 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I knew Dr. Sprunger....he believed the Revelation is revelation and criticized those, like you, he considered "reductionists". Please do not presume to convert a graduated believer into a dead skeptic, especially one so dear to so many. From your link and the article:

From a scientific, empirical point of view Dr. Rheaume's manuscript has numerous weaknesses. I am making these comments based on a study of his conclusions and summary; after a complete reading of his analysis some of these judgments may need to be adjusted. Among these weaknesses I would list the following:

1. He does not adequately document errors or discrepancies in The Urantia Book concerning Biblical, scientific, historical, and logical material.
2. He does not adequately perceive The Urantia Book as one of the most thorough integration of science, philosophy, and religion in contemporary literature.
3. He does not have a very realistic empirical knowledge of the limits of human creativity regarding authorship nor an adequate comparison with parallel philosophic-religious literature.

Almost every critical student of religion after reading The Urantia Book first tests the hypothesis that Dr. Sadler or a group of scholars wrote the book. Some twenty-five years ago we had a group of around a dozen theologically trained people who thoroughly examined this thesis. We came to the conclusion on empirical grounds that no one person could have written it. The background knowledge required is simply too comprehensive for one person to have mastered. The spiritual insights were at too high a level over too extensive a span to believe one person could have written it--there are no historical parallels that are this extensive. The coherence of this entire and complex book are amazing and surpass that of the best authors of past and present. Against such odds, if we still assume Dr. Sadler wrote the book, we would have to recognize him as one of the greatest geniuses who ever lived--which Dr. Rheaume not only does not do but seems to imply that the author needed only quite ordinary scholarly abilities to produce the book.

Dr. Rheaume's analysis can be classified among the many reductionistic, "nothing but," studies of spiritual truth in the past. Classic examples are David F. Strauss, Leben Jesu, 1835 and Ernest Renan, La Vie de Jesus, 184. They attempted to show that Jesus and his teachings were purely human and that the supernatural aspect is a myth created by the early church. Albert Schweitzer has pointed out in The Quest of the Historical Jesus (1910) that all attempts to interpret Jesus from a purely human point of view have failed to account for the facts of his life and the effect of his teachings and personality in history. I am confident that Rheaume's analysis and those like it in the future will meet with the same historical judgment.

Probably the most serious objective weakness of Dr. Rheaume's analysis is his failure to realize that authorship technically has nothing to do with the quality of a literary or religious production. Truth is not determined by the fact of authorship. Whether or not a religious work is designated as revelation is not determined by authorship. The authorship of much of the Bible and material in other sacred books is not known. Literature which is classified as revelation is the result of the judgment of many people over many years of experience. I am confident this judgment will be made of The Urantia Book in the centuries to come.

I share his confidence and it was reinforced significantly by Dr. Sprunger - in speech, in research, in writing, and in living, he exemplified his religion and his truth.
Peace be upon you."

#18 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello Nelson G! You said, in part:
“I fear the idea of any organized religion getting their hands on it and incorporating it into their teachings.”
I am intrigued. Why are you afraid? Through my reading of the Urantia Book, I have become convinced that the teachings will be more or less adopted by Urantian religions as the decades and centuries pass. Am I wrong?

Anyway, here is my Urantia Book story . . .
I was not allowed to develop a relationship with any church in my youth; but I did occasionally get to attend church, first one, then another, while my parents didn’t attend any – ever! Following my enlistment in the US Air Force, I made a dedicated search through many religions and explored many churches, primarily Protestant. I sought God among Pentecostal, Episcopalian, Baptist, Southern Baptist, Catholic, Baha’i, and many others.
I went to “Tent Meetings” and saw many “Holy Rollers” and heard many “Hell-Fire and Brimstone” sermons, let me tell you! I have experienced “…the laying on of hands to drive out demons…” many times. I have heard the blatant gibberish of “Speaking in Tongues” in many places. I have been compelled to repeat holy words & phrases on my knees with my arms held way up high, over my head, until I literally fell prostrate from exhaustion. I was frequently told that I had “…experienced the POWER of God” and was exceptionally blessed – now make a “Love Offering” of money to show my genuine appreciation.
Nobody would believe me when I told them I felt nothing, that there was no supernatural or spiritual energy coursing through my body; or else they said I was demon-possessed or a dark spirit. I have had people throw up their right hand and yell “…get you behind me, Satan…” when I questioned their practices or rituals or beliefs.
I was starved for spiritual nourishment, and never fed! I always knew there was a God, and that Jesus really was God’s son who lived on Earth as a man; but I couldn’t find them in all those diverse churches. I even got baptized five times! To please those who seemed so earnest, I sometimes faked whatever they seemed to want to see in me or hear from me – then I never went back.
I have been in so many churches where there is preached FEAR of God. From my youth, I was told by my father, and by several diverse churches I went to, that God is jealous, vengeful, wrathful, and a stern taskmaster, etc.; and I was told to FEAR God and obey, or else face damnation to hell. Let me get this straight. I get to be a slave in this life, to exactingly obey and fear God; and still I can’t be good enough to be sent to heaven when I die? I will always goof up and “...come short of the glory of God.” Therefore, I get to worship and fear, pray and praise, and babble gibberish and faint from exhaustion, and hope, somehow, to please His son, Jesus, (who came to Earth solely and specifically to be brutally slaughtered in my behalf), just so that this same Son will remember me before God, so that I can be “saved” to go to Heaven to sing God’s praises while on my knees, forever, at his throne, as reward for my having been saved by the “blood of Jesus.”
I was continually mystified; and I wondered why it seemed that only I could see and feel the hopelessness, hypocrisy, and senselessness of such a situation? It is little wonder to me why so many folks are disillusioned about the messages of the many churches! Why would a vain and jealous God who demanded the eternal singing of his praises by prostrated supplicants be an inspiration to anyone? Shouldn’t there be something more to life and so very much more to eternity?
Eventually, I met a remarkable young woman who introduced me to the Missionaries from the Mormon Church. I joined, and I was quite happy there, for about twenty years.
It came as a profound delight that I discovered the Urantia Book in the “New Age” section of a Barnes & Noble bookstore in August of 2000. It has been my faithful companion and teacher ever since.
I believe I was prepared for the sublime repleteness of the FER by my learning within the Mormon church. I had accepted the principle of “continuing revelation” from God, so it was no trouble to view the Urantia Book as true revelation, too. Furthermore, I am convinced that others of the Mormon will be led to and delight in finding TUB, just as I was. Therefore, I keep my active membership and participation as a Mormon, to be ready whenever another soul becomes properly prepared for TUB, and I carefully introduce them.
It has been a real joy!!
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#19 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I knew Dr. Sprunger....he believed the Revelation is revelation and criticized those, like you, he considered "reductionists".

I am not a reductionist of the Urantia Book. A reductionist would be someone who rules out the possibility of a supernatural authorship from the start. Like Sprunger, I see that the spritual truth of the Urantia Book is more important than questions of inerrancy or authorship. I believe that the Urantia Book was given by spiritual beings through material means. Some of the human sources they used may have been flawed, as any human source would be. The celestials themselves were not God and therefore were not infallible. The humans responsible for receiving and transmitting the messages could have made errors in the process. I don't understand why, no matter how many times I tell you that I am not a skeptic of the Urantia Book, you do not believe me. If a person uses critical thinking skills when evaluating a spiritual text, what would you call that? The Urantia Book nowhere claims to be inerrant or infallible yet it provides spiritual truth just the same. If I were a reductionist of the text, I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

Edited by Howard509, 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Teilhard de Chardin

#20 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

“I fear the idea of any organized religion getting their hands on it and incorporating it into their teachings.”
I am intrigued. Why are you afraid? Through my reading of the Urantia Book, I have become convinced that the teachings will be more or less adopted by Urantian religions as the decades and centuries pass. Am I wrong?

I cannot say if you are right or wrong, only time will tell.
The organized religions of Christianity do not have a good track record over the last 2000 years - there is quite a bit if information in the Urantia Book in regard to the teachings of and about Jesus that plainly reveals what has happened. If organized religions taught more of Jesus, perhaps there would have never been a need for a secular revolution?
In my opinion the Urantia Book is more beneficial to the individual and individual survival. Orginaztional survival has its own agenda in this day and age and it has not change much over two millennia.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users