• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Did anyone else discover that there is a limit upon the number of posts one person may "Like" per day? As I was reading an amazing string of posts in the OPAD, I was hit with the following error message:

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

How very discouraging! I was feeling very well-fed at the feast of bright, shining comments and insights by fellow posters; when the all-you-can-eat buffet was abruptly interrupted by an impersonal edict that said, in effect, "...you can only appreciate a great post X number of times per day!"

Now, I have to exercise caution in paying my respects for intellectual gems from fellow posters? How rude!!

What's up with this? Furthermore, why am I limited to making ONLY 10 posts per day? What happens if I am shut-in for a day, and have a generous block of time available to me to read and reply to these awesome topics? The class rules say I may raise my hand only x number of times; AND I may only be appreciative and complimentary a limited number of times, too? What next, grading on the curve?

"JR" Sherrod, the mildly annoyed guy
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#2 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I agree. It is frustrating JR. I decided months ago that when I'm down to 2 or 3 posts, it's time to log out of the forum and do something else. That's how I protest what I think is unfair; I read and post on political forums instead. But then again, we did have a fella here who posted scores and scores of meaningless posts everyday and that was annoying too. Maybe we should weight posters like the universe weights voters. High quality posters with a lot of "likes" can get a bonus post every now and then . . . and . . . eh . . . never mind . . . 10's enough really. It forces me to socialize my personality in other ways. But I do commiserate with you, I really do.

#3 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, I agree. It is frustrating JR. I decided months ago that when I'm down to 2 or 3 posts, it's time to log out of the forum and do something else. That's how I protest what I think is unfair; I read and post on political forums instead. But then again, we did have a fella here who posted scores and scores of meaningless posts everyday and that was annoying too. Maybe we should weight posters like the universe weights voters. High quality posters with a lot of "likes" can get a bonus post every now and then . . . and . . . eh . . . never mind . . . 10's enough really. It forces me to socialize my personality in other ways. But I do commiserate with you, I really do.

Simply incredible! I was able to "LIKE" your post, Bonita. How's that for a kicker?

I think you have a good insight, too. Maybe it's time for me to get off the PC and out the door. Have an awesome day, Bonita!

"JR"
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#4 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

"moderation eventuates in charm." (556.11) 48:7.11

One way to help you share yourselves around? :rolleyes:
Ok, so how many posts & likes would you like?
PS: be careful what you wish for.
Nigel

#5 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

it sems that i also reached max of likes in a day :)

regarding number if posts un last almost a year i only once was left out w/o posts.

Bonitas idea about greading members is not bad but not so easy ti do.

Nigel, lets experiment with 15 posts and unlimited likes.

we do have to think about members social life to ;)

peace
Peace be upon you

#6 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

"moderation eventuates in charm." (556.11) 48:7.11

One way to help you share yourselves around? :rolleyes:
Ok, so how many posts & likes would you like?
PS: be careful what you wish for.
Nigel

Well, hello Nigel!

I must be honest; and admit that I've only run into the upper limit on "LIKE"s just today. It has been more often for the "POSTS." I agree with Pike, I think 15 "POSTS" should be plenty - at least, it should be plenty until I run into the upper limit again! :D As for the "LIKE"s... Unlimited please.

Thank you, sir!!

"JR"

#7 Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*

Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

It might be easier to assign the "likes" to the poster being liked rather than the liker. Easier to limit based on the total number of posts which I believe is "10", then the unlimited request may work out in the data base limitation, depending on architecture. Should you reach a limit it will not keep the liker from showing their reflections. Also, if possible for future development, add a sub-window pop-up to add emotions to "likes" for emphasis?

#8 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

All I can say is that I'm from a country that values free speech. The idea of putting limits on speech is foreign to me. I do understand that the forum has a responsibility to maintain civil and respectful speech, but I don't understand the idea of preventing too much speech. It's a head-scratcher. Posted Image

#9 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

All I can say is that I'm from a country that values free speech.

And I live in hope of free speakers choosing to reflect before speaking.
Imagine, a world of free thought and speech, self-adjusted for quality.
Prosaic experience as springboard for the poetic essence.

Imagine

#10 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

And I live in hope of free speakers choosing to reflect before speaking.

Yeah, it would be nice.

p317:01 The great man is not he who "takes a city" or "overthrows a nation," but rather "he who subdues his own tongue."

We'll get there some day but squelching speech, just like squelching rebellions, won't make it happen. People have to learn to choose the better way on their own and they do that best in an environment with minimal pressures, like limits on speech or being forced to comply with someone else's ideas of appropriateness. That being said, private theme-based forums do have a right to channel speech in the direction of their choosing and those who don't like it are free to seek alternatives that suit them better.

103:5.11 But man is not saved or ennobled by pressure. Spirit growth springs from within the evolving soul. Pressure may deform the personality, but it never stimulates growth. Even educational pressure is only negatively helpful in that it may aid in the prevention of disastrous experiences. Spiritual growth is greatest where all external pressures are at a minimum. “Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” Man develops best when the pressures of home, community, church, and state are least. But this must not be construed as meaning that there is no place in a progressive society for home, social institutions, church, and state.

Personally, I've never liked being told what to do, what to think or what to say. I'm fiercely independent and opinionated . . . really can't change that, it's hereditary.

#11 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hello Nigel,

I see that I have 14 more available posts today :)
I didn't try the likes :)

but anyway thank you for being so agile

Peace
Peace be upon you

#12 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

I see that I have 14 more available posts today :)

Shhh... don't want to excite the natives :ph34r:
Nigel

#13 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Every post on this thread got my like. I like a lot, even if I don't agree with the content. If the intention is good in my humble estimation, it deserves a like from an admin, just for taking the time and trouble to post. Your input here has value, I don't like to see it go unacknowledged. Not every word of every post here gets read, but most I do.

So, after 5 years, I'm just learning about these like limits. When we first came back online last Jan, I got that sign too JR, but then could like, later :huh:

But shortly thereafter that ceased, and this is first word of it since. Nigel is great, he takes care of a lot of the bells and whistles that improve the Forum's utility and further UAI's general purpose--focusing on study and spread of these new teachings. We on the Forum staff are a small team working in deep, unknown waters, and Nigel has been an excellent pilot with a very deft touch at the helm. Which is to say, we're working out the Forum's parameters behind the public face. More on the like limits soon. (do I get a like? What about a :wub: button, Nigel?)

#15 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Nigel, you're a swell guy! You listened, er... read? Anyway, I am a happy guy today, because I now have more room for my feet in my mouth! :lol: Thanks!!

#16 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I believe we should have progressive levels (circles) of "posting" based on members "likes" of your work, assigned liberty of more posts as you achieve more posting "like" stars.Reflective minds seldom speak unless they have a contribution to make. Perhaps this could reward good behaviour and still keep a handle on the "page-long" posters in a dialogue with themselves...
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#17 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

HI ALL

I '' Like '' ALL The New An Improved Ideas

But to be honest , I '' LIKE '' The Way Things are Setup Here Now

Although Change Can Often BE A Good Thing
Sometimes Too Much Change Doesnt mean that Its Better Or More Progressive

IMHO Anyone That Feels That They Really Need to make More than 10 posts A Day
Should Step Away From Their Computer for Awhile an Re think Their Personal Life Prioreties eh

Take some Time And DO Something , Take A Walk In The Woods , Fly a kite with a Child ,
Feed The Cat an Walk the Dog , Call A Friend or Loved one , Cook Some Chicken Soup ,
Visit a Neighbor , Draw , Paint , Dance ,
Smell the Flowers , Bird Watch ,
Talk an actualy Listen To Loved ones ,

Eat , Pray often and Love

Live an Love Life

Laugh often

Humor ~ Seriously Dont take Ourself Too Seriously ,

BE / Become ALL You Can BE

Take some Time And DO Something

Hows That Song Go ?

They Paved Paradise and put Up A Parking Lot !

I '' LIKE '' IT The Way IT IS !

But then thats Just My Humble Opinion ,
Yet Opinions Are '' LIKE '' Bellybuttons , Everybodys Got One eh lol

NAMASTE TO YOU ALL

'' LIKE '' ?

#18 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Music Video: "A Short History of America" cartoon poster by R. Crumb with music by Joni Mitchell,
"The Big Yellow Taxi"

("They take paradise and put up a parking lot!")

http://youtu.be/mRkq595NhD0

ORIGINAL LYRICS
© 1966-69 Siquomb Publishing Co. BMI

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot,
With a pink hotel, a boutique,
And a swinging hot spot.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum.
And they charged all the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em.
Hey, farmer, farmer, put away that D.D.T., now!
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees, please!
Late last night I heard the screen door slam.
And a big yellow taxi took away my old man.

AS PERFORMED BY BOB DYLAN:

They paved paradise, they put up a parking lot,
A big hotel, a boutique,
And a swinging hot spot.
Don't it always go to show
You'll never know what you got till it's gone?
They paved paradise, they put up a parking lot. They took all the trees, they put 'em in a tree museum.
They charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em.
They paved paradise, they put up a parking lot.
Hey, farmer, farmer, put away that D.D.T.!
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees, please!
Don't it always go to show You'll never know what you got till it's gone?
Late last night I heard my screen door slam.
A big yellow bulldozer took away the house and the land.

Edited by Coop, 21 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#19 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I '' LIKE'D '' My Own '' Like '' LOL

#20 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members