• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Perhaps we could focus on the truths about fear presented within our beloved Revelation? From the first paper to the last page, this is a topic of much import.

What is the source of fear? What is the nature of fear? Of what is there to be afraid? What is the effect(s) of fear? Beyond animalistic "fight or flight" material or mortal fear....why do we embrace it? How does the priesthood (and others) use fear as a tool of manipulation?

A word search for "fear" brings over 10 pages of quotes from front to back....so this must have been important for the revelators, eh?

I look forward to some interesting discussion and appropriate quotes for our truth seeking together. In fraternity and the pursuit of harmony....Peace.

B)
Peace be upon you."

#2 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

It was this fear that Jesus was trying to eradicate by preaching that we are sons of God, not the devil. It still has not sunk in entirely, but that is precisely because man is a myth maker. We have no adequate myth to replace it at this time, which is one of the reasons why we need revelation.

#3 Bill Martin

Bill Martin

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:destiny interception, kindred spirits, Sailing my ketch, cooking, reading ( a book a day, if possible), helping fellow sojurners on the path of righteousness.I am most interested in building strong relationships with fellow kingdom builders knowing that we will be serving together, off and on, through time and into eternity.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Fear is the "great trickster." Fear is the "little death."

P.556 - §4 2." Few persons live up to the faith which they really have. Unreasoned fear is a master intellectual fraud practiced upon the evolving mortal soul."
Slowly but surely the Power of Love is overcoming the Love of Power

#4 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

(63.4) 5:1.6 If mortal man is wholeheartedly spiritually motivated, unreservedly consecrated to the doing of the Father’s will, then, since he is so certainly and so effectively spiritually endowed by the indwelling and divine Adjuster, there cannot fail to materialize in that individual’s experience the sublime consciousness of knowing God and the supernal assurance of surviving for the purpose of finding God by the progressive experience of becoming more and more like him.

Assurance.....how paternal and comforting. Odd that while fear is natural enough......what is the source of that which we also instinctively give to others who are in the grip of fear? Do not parents, friends, lovers, and even strangers reach out to comfort and console the victims of fear? The antidote to fear is love and faith in love delivers the experience and perception of life through that confident and "sublime" lense. Peace.
Peace be upon you."

#5 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

5:4.1 The morality of the religions of evolution drives men forward in the God quest by the motive power of fear. The religions of revelation allure men to seek for a God of love because they crave to become like him.

Here's the fraud - the difference between being driven by evolutionary forces and being allured by spiritual forces. Driving forces of fear respond to the animal level mind whereas alluring forces of love respond to the spiritual level of mind. The animal level of mind is only real on material levels and it cannot survive. It is primarily concerned with self-perpetuation on a material level. The spiritual level of mind is real on cosmic levels and it does survive. It is primarily concerned with self-perpetuation on a cosmic level.

Fraud develops when some people claim to have secret knowledge. Secret knowledge can be obtained and displayed in many different ways, but it must illustrate the difference between these two levels of existence as well as exhibit a level of control over them. Fraud needs to use fear in order to maintain the illusion of secrecy and supremacy. Revelation and truth blows the lid off of this stuff.

#6 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

(1823.3) 165:5.3 “Consider the lilies, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin; yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is cut down and cast into the fire, how much more shall he clothe you, the ambassadors of the heavenly kingdom. O you of little faith! When you wholeheartedly devote yourselves to the proclamation of the gospel of the kingdom, you should not be of doubtful minds concerning the support of yourselves or the families you have forsaken. If you give your lives truly to the gospel, you shall live by the gospel. If you are only believing disciples, you must earn your own bread and contribute to the sustenance of all who teach and preach and heal. If you are anxious about your bread and water, wherein are you different from the nations of the world who so diligently seek such necessities? Devote yourselves to your work, believing that both the Father and I know that you have need of all these things. Let me assure you, once and for all, that, if you dedicate your lives to the work of the kingdom, all your real needs shall be supplied. Seek the greater thing, and the lesser will be found therein; ask for the heavenly, and the earthly shall be included. The shadow is certain to follow the substance.

(1823.4) 165:5.4 “You are only a small group, but if you have faith, if you will not stumble in fear, I declare that it is my Father’s good pleasure to give you this kingdom. You have laid up your treasures where the purse waxes not old, where no thief can despoil, and where no moth can destroy. And as I told the people, where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

(1102.9) 100:7.12 Jesus was consistently cheerful, notwithstanding he sometimes drank deeply of the cup of human sorrow. He fearlessly faced the realities of existence, yet was he filled with enthusiasm for the gospel of the kingdom. But he controlled his enthusiasm; it never controlled him. He was unreservedly dedicated to “the Father’s business.” This divine enthusiasm led his unspiritual brethren to think he was beside himself, but the onlooking universe appraised him as the model of sanity and the pattern of supreme mortal devotion to the high standards of spiritual living. And his controlled enthusiasm was contagious; his associates were constrained to share his divine optimism.

(1103.1) 100:7.13 This man of Galilee was not a man of sorrows; he was a soul of gladness. Always was he saying, “Rejoice and be exceedingly glad.” But when duty required, he was willing to walk courageously through the “valley of the shadow of death.” He was gladsome but at the same time humble.

(1103.2) 100:7.14 His courage was equaled only by his patience. When pressed to act prematurely, he would only reply, “My hour has not yet come.” He was never in a hurry; his composure was sublime. But he was often indignant at evil, intolerant of sin. He was often mightily moved to resist that which was inimical to the welfare of his children on earth. But his indignation against sin never led to anger at the sinner.

(1103.3) 100:7.15 His courage was magnificent, but he was never foolhardy. His watchword was, “Fear not.” His bravery was lofty and his courage often heroic. But his courage was linked with discretion and controlled by reason. It was courage born of faith, not the recklessness of blind presumption. He was truly brave but never audacious.

Fear Not....indeed. Peace to all and good cheer!! We live in the Kingdom....Act within that Fact....and all will be well, no? Peace.
Peace be upon you."

#7 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hi all!

Honestly I prefer accentuate, faith-confidence. I think the focus on the negative and therefore opposite
(for this topic, Fear Not!!) this does not help, what occurs is that we are constantly thinking contrary to truth. And this power between us through talks.In my view, this is not good when the subject is treated repeatedly.
Sorry, but I say this with the utmost respect and good intention.

We have a lot Truth - Beauty- Goodness written in Revelations.

(2076.4) 195:5.13 When there is so much good truth to publish and proclaim, why should men dwell so much upon the evil in the world just because it appears to be a fact? The beauties of the spiritual values of truth are more pleasurable and uplifting than is the phenomenon of evil.

(1104.3) 101:0.3 Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that “true light which lights every man who comes into the world.” And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.

1106.3) 101:2.4 There are two basic reasons for believing in a God who fosters human survival:

(1106.4) 101:2.5 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

(1106.5) 101:2.6 2. The revelation of truth, whether by direct personal ministry of the Spirit of Truth, by the world bestowal of divine Sons, or through the revelations of the written word.

Much love.

Alina

Edited by Alina, 16 October 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#8 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yes sweet Sister Alina! How's that song go? "You've got to....accentuate the positive!" Or an old timey favorite of mine, "Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, the sunny side of life!" There are those that seem to seek the shadow or that which casts shadow when, truly, such is only there to "accentuate" that which shines. And so much shines in life. As you shine your light here for us all. Perhaps you could give a positive way to present the thread title? Be Fearless. Courage. Brave Heart. Hear Me Roar. Life is Great. The Shining Truth. Steady As She Goes. Others? Always appreciate your perspective Alina! Peace.

Edited by fanofVan, 16 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Peace be upon you."

#9 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

:o Wouuu... fanofVan, if I had known that you would write me this, I would not have written my previous post! :D
Actually it is not totally ignore everything. No,we need to know! right?
We can not live in a bubble.But always remember the other side of the coin.
The fear is very human, and sometimes rightly also prevents us from making mistakes, and even leads us to seek higher and bright horizons. Who has not ever been afraid?
But I think some disappear the enough. when we know,when we have the knowledge that the vestments of the evil in itself is meaningless, because the choice is ours!

I would not change the title, you're done!I think it's the focus, nothing else,as I wrote in my previous post.For example, the Kingdom of Heaven, as Jesus wants, within our inner freedom is a good incentive and puts a counterweight on some fears.
I believe that freedom, True freedom, is a decisive factor.

Jesus’ Concept of the Kingdom

(1859.11) 170:2.1 The Master made it clear that the kingdom of heaven must begin with, and be centered in, the dual concept of the truth of the fatherhood of God and the correlated fact of the brotherhood of man. The acceptance of such a teaching, Jesus declared, would liberate man from the age-long bondage of animal fear and at the same time enrich human living with the following endowments of the new life of spiritual liberty:

(1859.12) 170:2.2 1. The possession of new courage and augmented spiritual power. The gospel of the kingdom was to set man free and inspire him to dare to hope for eternal life.

(1859.13) 170:2.3 2. The gospel carried a message of new confidence and true consolation for all men, even for the poor.

(1859.14) 170:2.4 3. It was in itself a new standard of moral values, a new ethical yardstick wherewith to measure human conduct. It portrayed the ideal of a resultant new order of human society.

(1859.15) 170:2.5 4. It taught the pre-eminence of the spiritual compared with the material; it glorified
spiritual realities and exalted superhuman ideals.

(1860.1) 170:2.6 5. This new gospel held up spiritual attainment as the true goal of living. Human life received a new endowment of moral value and divine dignity.

(1860.2) 170:2.7 6. Jesus taught that eternal realities were the result (reward) of righteous earthly striving. Man’s mortal sojourn on earth acquired new meanings consequent upon the recognition of a noble destiny.

(1860.3) 170:2.8 7. The new gospel affirmed that human salvation is the revelation of a far-reaching divine purpose to be fulfilled and realized in the future destiny of the endless service of the salvaged sons of God.

(1860.4) 170:2.9 These teachings cover the expanded idea of the kingdom which was taught by Jesus. This great concept was hardly embraced in the elementary and confused kingdom
teachings of John the Baptist

What do you think, this help overcome some fears?
Many of these points are still little known? or it seems to me.

Greetings,

Alina

#10 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

:o Wouuu... fanofVan, if I had known that you would write me this, I would not have written my previous post! :D
Actually it is not totally ignore everything. No,we need to know! right?
We can not live in a bubble.But always remember the other side of the coin.
The fear is very human, and sometimes rightly also prevents us from making mistakes, and even leads us to seek higher and bright horizons. Who has not ever been afraid?
But I think some disappear the enough. when we know,when we have the knowledge that the vestments of the evil in itself is meaningless, because the choice is ours!

I would not change the title, you're done!I think it's the focus, nothing else,as I wrote in my previous post.For example, the Kingdom of Heaven, as Jesus wants, within our inner freedom is a good incentive and puts a counterweight on some fears.
I believe that freedom, True freedom, is a decisive factor.

Jesus’ Concept of the Kingdom

What do you think, this help overcome some fears?
Many of these points are still little known? or it seems to me.

Greetings,

Alina

Bingo Alina !

This is a grand quote; equal to the idea of a grand future!

"JR"
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#11 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yes, it should. And so it has. I became confident in my (then unknown and yet certain) destiny as God's beloved child......thanks to my biblical christian exposure to the Jesusonian message "hidden" within His words therein. Always uplifting, confident, even certain, our Master displayed the joy of cosmic reality, truth, beauty, goodness, and endless love. Oh dear - what to fear? The misadventures and misfortunes by inferior choices are so gently laid aside by any who but seek that which abides in love and faith in our gentle Father. Any negativity has no value except to contrast the much greater positive. For the Kingdom is ruled by love and sweetness and the ministry of countless unseen friends who labor that we might Fear Not, eh? This is critical to the Master's teaching that we must be child like to enter....for we must trust everything and doubt nothing, as only little children do. By such faith, all is well and will forever be so, no? There are so many here who shine the light and share their love. Thanks and blessings to all.
Peace be upon you."

#12 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi all!

Thank you JR! :)
This is a grand quote; equal to the idea of a grand future!

FanofVan -Thanks brother for your words! Also for this topic! :)
The truth is that, The truth will set you free, but first, as I understand it we must go a long way.
We are imperfect creatures big and small at the same time.We are fighters, we are adventurers of time and space, and as such we have our successes and failures, but adventurers finally, we will always be trying. It will not be as rock climbing, this is difficult for me, but it is more difficult to try to rise above our current spiritual abilities to go on and on,,, the path that Jesus drew us previously.
So, we have a great advantage in the legacy He left us!
"Fear not" is one of his phrases that resonate in our minds.
But our purpose, our faith will always lead us,

(48.1) 3:2.9 We are all a part of the family of God, and we must therefore sometimes share in the family discipline. Many of the acts of God which so disturb and confuse us are the result of the decisions and final rulings of all-wisdom, empowering the Conjoint Actor to execute the choosing of the infallible will of the infinite mind, to enforce the decisions of the personality of perfection, whose survey, vision, and solicitude embrace the highest and eternal welfare of all his vast and far-flung creation.

(48.2) 3:2.10 Thus it is that your detached, sectional, finite, gross, and highly materialistic viewpoint and the limitations inherent in the nature of your being constitute such a handicap that you are unable to see, comprehend, or know the wisdom and kindness of many of the divine acts which to you seem fraught with such crushing cruelty, and which seem to be characterized by such utter indifference to the comfort and welfare, to the planetary happiness and personal prosperity, of your fellow creatures. It is because of the limits of human vision, it is because of your circumscribed understanding and finite comprehension, that you misunderstand the motives, and pervert the purposes, of God. But many things occur on the evolutionary worlds which are not the personal doings of the UniversalFather.

The Faith of Jesus

(2089.1) 196:0.11 In the earthly life of Jesus, religion was a living experience, a direct and personal movement from spiritual reverence to practical righteousness. The faith of Jesus bore the transcendent fruits of the divine spirit. His faith was not immature and credulous like that of a child, but in many ways it did resemble the unsuspecting trust of the child mind. Jesus trusted God much as the child trusts a parent. He had a profound confidence in the universe — just such a trust as the child has in its parental environment. Jesus’ wholehearted faith in the fundamental goodness of the universe very much resembled the child’s trust in the security of its earthly surroundings. He depended on the heavenly Father as a child leans upon its earthly parent, and his fervent faith never for one moment doubted the certainty of the heavenly Father’s overcare. He was not disturbed seriously by fears, doubts, and skepticism. Unbelief did not inhibit the free and original expression of his life. He combined the stalwart and intelligent courage of a full-grown man with the sincere and trusting optimism of a believing child. His faith grew to such heights of trust that it was devoid of fear.

Love to all!

Alina

Edited by Alina, 16 October 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#13 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I think part of the fear that we see just comes from being told by the world that you cannot know these things of spiritual value. The u.b is stating that even though"there are very few mortals" who are actually taking that faith step and cultivating a cosmic way of thinking which leads to the knowingness of reality, that if we really give the 5th epochal revelation a chance we can begin to know some of these realities. It takes courage to stand face to face with the most powerful being in the universe, but once we start to say "hey I can have the courage to cultivate these independant ways of cosmic thinking" I believe we can use those ways of thinking to feel the personality of the father and all the realities in the u.b,and than all those spirit agencies really begin to work for us.
If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#14 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for this topic, fanofvan!

I don't know about you, but I do know about myself. The revelators tell us animal fear bulks large in the mental life of people. I know this by experience. Everything may be going along just great and wonderful on any given day, when suddenly something happens to a family member or something happens in the news, and bam! I get discombobulated. I get on an emotional zigzag. I get anxious. I get fearful. In this way fear really is an enslaver!

They [angels] share most of your emotions and experience some additional ones. The only emotion actuating you which is somewhat difficult for them to comprehend is the legacy of animal fear that bulks so large in the mental life of the average inhabitant of Urantia. The angels really find it hard to understand why you will so persistently allow your higher intellectual powers, even your religious faith, to be so dominated by fear, so thoroughly demoralized by the thoughtless panic of dread and anxiety. P.1243 - §2

I was strongly impressed by a story told by a woman who was tragically and accidentally treated with an extremely large dose of cancer medicine which killed her. The doseage couldn't be reversed. She told her story of fear - she said fear is like an angry tiger that jumps onto your back, sinks its claws into your flesh and does not let go.

I think some people are more afflicted with fear - tend to react to situations more fearfully - than others. I know for myself, I often have to talk myself out of it. It's a mental and emotional thing. And it's disconcerting when it pops up. Sometime it just seems to drift into my scene like dust. As a young person I was dominated by fear. I was so timid and anxious. I am a completely self-confident person now. So much has been lifted from my back since I found Jesus! Jesus continues to be my dust-cloth, wiping away those bothersome bits..

All the best,
Meredith

#15 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi!
boomshuka and Meredith it's true what you say! More in line with what I think, impossible!
You're right Meredith sometimes fear the influence comes from other people, not originate us.
Look, I tell you something. when I told FaofVan that this issue had to take it on the positive side, it was actually a little fear reaction on my part.I thought the previous topic, now closed ,was moving, in a certain way, here! :unsure:

boom, the UB. says there are "few mortals who dare to add those credits, and we are immensely rich but do not know!

(556.6) 48:7.6 4. Few mortals ever dare to draw anything like the sum of personality credits established by the combined ministries of nature and grace. The majority of impoverished souls are truly rich, but they refuse tobelieve it.

I think some is due to lack of knowledge, by ignorance, but others persons do not want or do not dare because every achievement requires many efforts, not everyone is willing to do.The will, the yearning to improve ourselves is the driving force.May be fear, but there are other difficulties that,some
more,some less,but we must overcome and cultivate the best we have.

I iseems we should, slowly, reaching the three levels of the cosmic mind. Causation Duty-Worship (192.1-2-3-4-)

(192.5) 16:6.9 These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking.

Thanks all!

Alina

#16 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Good quotes Alina, of coarse most people do not even believe they have a personality. They think that their "self" is their personality :( . Once people realize that their personality is literally the gift of god, living in the personality circuit of god and therefor a part of eternity, perhaps they will get a glimpse of it in eternity and use that vision of personality and integrate it into their self-hood. The u.b talks about being able to see the end from the beginning, the end for us IMO is our majestic finite personality spread out across eternity and this personality seems pretty amazing :). Even if it is just a "shadow" of god-like personality. Of coarse there are other amazing parts of us, but I like this one especially :).

Edited by boomshuka, 17 October 2012 - 10:51 AM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#17 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

A little tune made popular by Maybelle Carter: The Sunny Side

Well there's a dark and a troubled side of life.
There's a bright and a sunny side too.
But if you meet with the darkness and strife,
The sunny side we also may view.

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side,
Keep on the sunny side of life.
It will help us every day, it will brighten all the way,
If we keep on the sunny side of life.

Oh, the storm and its fury broke today,
Crushing hopes that we cherish so dear.
Clouds and storms will in time pass away.
The sun again will shine bright and clear.
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmod...sunny_side.html ]
If we'll keep on the sunny side of life.

Let us greet with a song of hope each day.
Though the moments be cloudy or fair.
Let us trust in our Saviour always,
To keep us, every one, in His care.

If we'll keep on the sunny side of life.

If we'll keep on the sunny side of life

Amen. :rolleyes:
Peace be upon you."

#18 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Fear not. A negative? An absence of something? No, I don't think so. It is something that must be transcended or absolved by its experience and consumption. Two issues that can be found within fear are important to its transcendence - hope and courage, eh?! The brave are not without fear - they apply their will to their fear and from this volitional choice comes courage, the courage to ACT despite the fear. Hope for the better demonstrates a yearning for more, for resolution, for a time without the grip of fear or its cause(s). Hope and courage are incremental steps toward an EXPERIENCE of overcoming fear. Once fear becomes mixed with courage and hope and our will leads us into action, this experience can increase faith. True faith does not contain fear - for fear requires some doubt as to outcome, no? But faith has no doubt and vanquishing doubt destroys fear. One must learn to - fear not - one must experience fear and overcome fear to - fear not. And when the blessings of such sublime confidence come by that truth experience, then what of hope and courage? Do they not wane? Are they not the crutches used to overcome the lame burdened by fear?

(2089.1) 196:0.11 In the earthly life of Jesus, religion was a living experience, a direct and personal movement from spiritual reverence to practical righteousness. The faith of Jesus bore the transcendent fruits of the divine spirit. His faith was not immature and credulous like that of a child, but in many ways it did resemble the unsuspecting trust of the child mind. Jesus trusted God much as the child trusts a parent. He had a profound confidence in the universe — just such a trust as the child has in its parental environment. Jesus’ wholehearted faith in the fundamental goodness of the universe very much resembled the child’s trust in the security of its earthly surroundings. He depended on the heavenly Father as a child leans upon its earthly parent, and his fervent faith never for one moment doubted the certainty of the heavenly Father’s overcare. He was not disturbed seriously by fears, doubts, and skepticism. Unbelief did not inhibit the free and original expression of his life. He combined the stalwart and intelligent courage of a full-grown man with the sincere and trusting optimism of a believing child. His faith grew to such heights of trust that it was devoid of fear.

(2089.3) 196:0.13 Jesus does not require his disciples to believe in him but rather to believe with him, believe in the reality of the love of God and in full confidence accept the security of the assurance of sonship with the heavenly Father. The Master desires that all his followers should fully share his transcendent faith. Jesus most touchingly challenged his followers, not only to believe what he believed, but also to believe as he believed. This is the full significance of his one supreme requirement, “Follow me.”

(1861.3) 170:2.21 1. Faith, sincerity. To come as a little child, to receive the bestowal of sonship as a gift; to submit to the doing of the Father’s will without questioning and in the full confidence and genuine trustfulness of the Father’s wisdom; to come into the kingdom free from prejudice and preconception; to be open-minded and teachable like an unspoiled child.

(1108.3) 101:3.4 Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

(1108.4) 101:3.5 1. Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistictendencies. *
(1108.5) 101:3.6 2. Produces a sublime trust in the goodness of God even in the face of bitter disappointment and crushing defeat.
(1108.6) 101:3.7 3. Generates profound courage and confidence despite natural adversity and physical calamity.
(1108.7) 101:3.8 4. Exhibits inexplicable poise and sustaining tranquillity notwithstanding baffling diseases and even acute physical suffering.
(1108.8) 101:3.9 5. Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.
(1108.9) 101:3.10 6. Maintains a divine trust in ultimate victory in spite of the cruelties of seemingly blind fate and the apparent utter indifference of natural forces to human welfare.
(1108.10) 101:3.11 7. Persists in the unswerving belief in God despite all contrary demonstrations of logic and successfully withstands all other intellectual sophistries.
(1108.11) 101:3.12 8. Continues to exhibit undaunted faith in the soul’s survival regardless of the deceptive teachings of false science and the persuasive delusions of unsound philosophy.
(1108.12) 101:3.13 9. Lives and triumphs irrespective of the crushing overload of the complex and partial civilizations of modern times.
(1108.13) 101:3.14 10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political maladjustments.
(1108.14) 101:3.15 11. Steadfastly adheres to a sublime belief in universe unity and divine guidance regardless of the perplexing presence of evil and sin.
(1108.15) 101:3.16 12. Goes right on worshiping God in spite of anything and everything. Dares to declare, “Even though he slay me, yet will I serve him.”

(1108.16) 101:3.17 We know, then, by three phenomena, that man has a divine spirit or spirits dwelling within him: first, by personal experience — religious faith; second, by revelation — personal and racial; and third, by the amazing exhibition of such extraordinary and unnatural reactions to his material environment as are illustrated by the foregoing recital of twelve spiritlike performances in the presence of the actual and trying situations of real human existence. And there are still others.

(1124.6) 102:6.4 Faith transforms the philosophic God of probability into the saving God of certainty in the personal religious experience. Skepticism may challenge the theories of theology, but confidence in the dependability of personal experience affirms the truth of that belief which has grown into faith.

(1124.7) 102:6.5 Convictions about God may be arrived at through wise reasoning, but the individual becomes God-knowing only by faith, through personal experience. In much that pertains to life, probability must be reckoned with, but when contacting with cosmic reality, certainty may be experienced when such meanings and values are approached by living faith.

CONFIDENCE!!!! How does one ascend from fear through hope and courage into the experience of faith confidence? Fear is a learning tool. We feel what we feel, eh? But do we then focus the mind to discover the source of the feeling? Do we then manage our response to the feeling? And in our response, do we succomb to the feeling or do we overcome the feeling of fear by the agents of hope and will/courage? When we choose (ah, that free will thing again) to overcome it and learn thereby, does it not get easier and easier to overcome that which we "feel" less and less? I don't think this is ever an automatic or one time decision - we must learn sublime confidence in Father and His love and His power and His plan. When we finally become cosmic citizens within the friendly universe and we act sufficiently within that fact, then does not our confidence grow and grow, until it becomes that our confidence may become the source of other's hope and courage, leading them too into this ascendent and transcendent experience of sublime cosmic citizenship for those around us?

The sublime poise and confidence of the Kingdom Believer and Faith Child is a shining light on the path of our fellows, eh? It is testimony, witness, and ministry service to ACT WITHIN THE FACT. Perhaps Have Confidence would substitute for Fear Not, eh Sister Alina?? Peace to you my fellow students and cosmic brothers and sister.
Peace be upon you."

#19 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

A few more thoughts on fear to ponder and discover quotes together:

Let us break down fear into some variations - first is that fear from facing an uncertain outcome but a specific one; but then there is fretting, worry, anxiety that is more a state of mind than a momentary feeling. It is a persistant or chronic condition. Then there is the element of ego or self centeredness vs. the worry or fear we feel for others.

Is selfless fear or fear for others any better than fear for self?

What antidotes or treatments might the text suggest to dimminish the chronic ailment of anxieties?

Is a fear of our own errors/evil a positive stimulant for change and awareness?

Fearless is an odd concept, for cannot the egotist fool be too stupid and self absorbed in false confidence to feel fear? What's the difference in fearless and fear not? What's the difference in false confidence and sublime trust?

I am not without fear. I am not devoid of anxiety. But confidence and faith grow by experiencing and wrestling with the sources and the response choices I make, over and over and over. So I am not suggesting I can teach what I am learning....but together, perhaps we can identify how and what to learn from fear to replace it with the confidence of our Master.

(291.3) 26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing — absolutely nothing — is impossible.”

(1739.8) 156:5.13 God-knowing individuals are not discouraged by misfortune or downcast by disappointment. Believers are immune to the depression consequent upon purely material upheavals; spirit livers are not perturbed by the episodes of the material world. Candidates for eternal life are practitioners of an invigorating and constructive technique for meeting all of the vicissitudes and harassments of mortal living. Every day a true believer lives, he finds it easier to do the right thing.

(1740.2) 156:5.15 As the days pass, every true believer becomes more skillful in alluring his fellows into the love of eternal truth. Are you more resourceful in revealing goodness to humanity today than you were yesterday? Are you a better righteousness recommender this year than you were last year? Are you becoming increasingly artistic in your technique of leading hungry souls into the spiritual kingdom?

(555.4) 48:6.36 Even as mortals, so have these angels been father to many disappointments, and they will point out that sometimes your most disappointing disappointments have become your greatest blessings. Sometimes the planting of a seed necessitates its death, the death of your fondest hopes, before it can be reborn to bear the fruits of new life and new opportunity. And from them you will learn to suffer less through sorrow and disappointment, first, by making fewer personal plans concerning other personalities, and then, by accepting your lot when you have faithfully performed your duty.

(555.5) 48:6.37 You will learn that you increase your burdens and decrease the likelihood of success by taking yourself too seriously. Nothing can take precedence over the work of your status sphere — this world or the next. Very important is the work of preparation for the next higher sphere, but nothing equals the importance of the work of the world in which you are actually living. But though the work is important, the self is not. When you feel important, you lose energy to the wear and tear of ego dignity so that there is little energy left to do the work. Self-importance, not work-importance, exhausts immature creatures; it is the self element that exhausts, not the effort to achieve. ...........

Peace my faithful fellows! B)
Peace be upon you."

#20 Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*

Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Regarding the word fear, specifically when used in the Bible may have been misinterpreted in that while reading the Books of Enoch I came across the word fear but in many of their usage definition number four (4.) below is the closest definition. There was a specific passage which defined its usage when in reference to God. Therefore, in the UB this word may be so defined if one replaces a synonym as provided below for number four (4.) and fits the context or connotation of its usage.
Although the definition provided in Enoch was not exactly the same as listed below, it is the closest representation I can recall without having to go back and re-read.

Fear

http://dictionary.re...src=2894&l=dir

noun
1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid. Synonyms: foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. Antonyms: courage, security, calm, intrepidity.

2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights. Synonyms: phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear. Antonyms: liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.

3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.

4. reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. Synonyms: awe, respect, reverence, veneration.

5. something that causes feelings of dread or apprehension; something a person is afraid of: Cancer is a common fear.

6. anticipation of the possibility that something unpleasant will occur: Having grown up during the Great Depression, he had a constant fear of running out of money.

verb (used with object)

7. to regard with fear; be afraid of. Synonyms: apprehend, dread.

8. to have reverential awe of. Synonyms: revere, venerate, honor.

9. to consider or anticipate (something unpleasant) with a feeling of dread or alarm: It's about to snow again, I fear.

10. Archaic . to experience fear in (oneself): I fear me he will ne'er forgive us.

verb (used without object)

11. to have fear; be afraid: I'll go with you, so do not fear!

12. to feel apprehensive or uneasy (usually followed by for): In this time of economic instability, I fear for my children's future.

Idioms

13. for fear of / that, in order to prevent or avoid the risk of: She is afraid to say anything for fear of the consequences.

14. put the fear of God in / into, to cause to be greatly afraid.

Antonyms might be used for a similar connotation of "fear not".

Edited by As-Within-So-Without, 17 October 2012 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users