Photo

Does the Urantia Book take sin seriously?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*

Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

I did that and he sent it back.
. . . .
Actually, it was four people who did that, but one just died on Wednesday and now I'm faced with having to go to the funeral, which will open up the nastiness all over again. You see, this is a large net because there are others who are caught in it, others who are stuck in the land of limbo with conflicted loyalties. It is a huge conundrum. I think I have enough backbone to do it, but I wonder about stirring up more evil by doing what I think is decent and good.
. . . .

(1801.5) 163:2.2 One earnest disciple came to Jesus, saying: “Master, I would be one of your new apostles, but my father is very old and near death; could I be permitted to return home to bury him?” To this man Jesus said: “My son, the foxes have holes, and the birds of heaven have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head. You are a faithful disciple, and you can remain such while you return home to minister to your loved ones, but not so with my gospel messengers. They have forsaken all to follow me and proclaim the kingdom. If you would be an ordained teacher, you must let others bury the dead while you go forth to publish the good news.” And this man went away in great disappointment.

Edited by As-Within-So-Without, 27 July 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#42 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

"Indifference can be tricky don't you think?" Definitely!! I can be indifferent to that which I should not and not be indifferent to that which deserves nothing more, both. Part of our discernment education no doubt. But what angers me concerns me most. And my response to any direct threat to wife or child or friend is so......well primitively barbaric including violence potential. I frighten myself to no end. So far to go to become like our Master, one of infinite poise and unshakeable stability no matter the circumstance.

I too participate in excision and am not so sure such is evil. If sin does not exist in reality and is made "indifferent" to truth, then are we to be bothered by or engaged in the evil and sin of others....or ignore it as indifferent to our own reality? Truth and reality are also so indifferent, no? Are we to engage it in battle for vanquishment? Are we to correct and criticize it? Are we to brood on it and feel bad for ourselves or others? Hmmmmmmm....I wonder too. The evil and sin of my children is my business (to a certain age)....but who else's? Why am I to be victimized by others when I can simply avoid it?

That is until I can't, eh? Enter grace and poise....and indifference to opinions or other's misbehaviors! Peace.
Peace be upon you."

#43 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

How do we "turn the other cheek" or carry the pack the extra mile or display a positive toward a negative? When we are in a social setting of family or friends or even strangers and someone with a low opinion of us displays it through comment or inuendo or act, how do we respond? Retort, condescension, attack, embarrass, coy snideness.....all acts of ego defense or ego attack have a rather predictable outcome, no? And to be unresponsive invites more of the same or shows acquiesence, no? So, a positive response - not reaction - is called for....what would that be?

First I assume the total lack of emotional reaction is crucial....no anger, no fear, no hurt feelings, no self defense. Second would be a discernment of cause or reason from an objective position. Third would be to generate feelings of care for the soul so exposing evil and sin. This results in a poise and objectivity for next steps. Now the wise as a serpent moment....and I am lost here. Help!! Peace.
Peace be upon you."

#44 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

This results in a poise and objectivity for next steps. Now the wise ...

... eventually love like a parent, not a sibling, or competitor.
Jesus talked about "fatherly love", whenever we're ready.

Nigel

#45 Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*

Guest_As-Within-So-Without_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

(1446.3) 131:3.1 Ganid was shocked to discover how near Buddhism came to being a great and beautiful religion without God, without a personal and universal Deity. However, he did find some record of certain earlier beliefs which reflected something of the influence of the teachings of the Melchizedek missionaries who continued their work in India even to the times of Buddha. Jesus and Ganid collected the following statements from the Buddhist literature:

(1446.4) 131:3.2 “Out of a pure heart shall gladness spring forth to the Infinite; all my being shall be at peace with this supermortal rejoicing. My soul is filled with content, and my heart overflows with the bliss of peaceful trust. I have no fear; I am free from anxiety. I dwell in security, and my enemies cannot alarm me. I am satisfied with the fruits of my confidence. I have found the approach to the Immortal easy of access. I pray for faith to sustain me on the long journey; I know that faith from beyond will not fail me. I know my brethren will prosper if they become imbued with the faith of the Immortal, even the faith that creates modesty, uprightness, wisdom, courage, knowledge, and perseverance. Let us forsake sorrow and disown fear. By faith let us lay hold upon true righteousness and genuine manliness. Let us learn to meditate on justice and mercy. Faith is man’s true wealth; it is the endowment of virtue and glory.

(1446.5) 131:3.3 “Unrighteousness is contemptible; sin is despicable. Evil is degrading, whether held in thought or wrought out in deeds. Pain and sorrow follow in the path of evil as the dust follows the wind. Happiness and peace of mind follow pure thinking and virtuous living as the shadow follows the substance of material things. Evil is the fruit of wrongly directed thinking. It is evil to see sin where there is no sin; to see no sin where there is sin. Evil is the path of false doctrines. Those who avoid evil by seeing things as they are gain joy by thus embracing the truth. Make an end of your misery by loathing sin. When you look up to the Noble One, turn away from sin with a whole heart. Make no apology for evil; make no excuse for sin. By your efforts to make amends for past sins you acquire strength to resist future tendencies thereto. Restraint is born of repentance. Leave no fault unconfessed to the Noble One.

(1447.1) 131:3.4 “Cheerfulness and gladness are the rewards of deeds well done and to the glory of the Immortal. No man can rob you of the liberty of your own mind. When the faith of your religion has emancipated your heart, when the mind, like a mountain, is settled and immovable, then shall the peace of the soul flow tranquilly like a river of waters. Those who are sure of salvation are forever free from lust, envy, hatred, and the delusions of wealth. While faith is the energy of the better life, nevertheless, must you work out your own salvation with perseverance. If you would be certain of your final salvation, then make sure that you sincerely seek to fulfill all righteousness. Cultivate the assurance of the heart which springs from within and thus come to enjoy the ecstasy of eternal salvation.

(1447.2) 131:3.5 “No religionist may hope to attain the enlightenment of immortal wisdom who persists in being slothful, indolent, feeble, idle, shameless, and selfish. But whoso is thoughtful, prudent, reflective, fervent, and earnest — even while he yet lives on earth — may attain the supreme enlightenment of the peace and liberty of divine wisdom. Remember, every act shall receive its reward. Evil results in sorrow and sin ends in pain. Joy and happiness are the outcome of a good life. Even the evildoer enjoys a season of grace before the time of the full ripening of his evil deeds, but inevitably there must come the full harvest of evil-doing. Let no man think lightly of sin, saying in his heart: ‘The penalty of wrongdoing shall not come near me.’ What you do shall be done to you, in the judgment of wisdom. Injustice done to your fellows shall come back upon you. The creature cannot escape the destiny of his deeds.

(1447.3) 131:3.6 “The fool has said in his heart, ‘Evil shall not overtake me’; but safety is found only when the soul craves reproof and the mind seeks wisdom. The wise man is a noble soul who is friendly in the midst of his enemies, tranquil among the turbulent, and generous among the grasping. Love of self is like weeds in a goodly field. Selfishness leads to grief; perpetual care kills. The tamed mind yields happiness. He is the greatest of warriors who overcomes and subdues himself. Restraint in all things is good. He alone is a superior person who esteems virtue and is observant of his duty. Let not anger and hate master you. Speak harshly of no one. Contentment is the greatest wealth. What is given wisely is well saved. Do not to others those things you would not wish done to you. Pay good for evil; overcome evil with the good.

(1447.4) 131:3.7 “A righteous soul is more to be desired than the sovereignty of all the earth. Immortality is the goal of sincerity; death, the end of thoughtless living. Those who are earnest die not; the thoughtless are dead already. Blessed are they who have insight into the deathless state. Those who torture the living will hardly find happiness after death. The unselfish go to heaven, where they rejoice in the bliss of infinite liberality and continue to increase in noble generosity. Every mortal who thinks righteously, speaks nobly, and acts unselfishly shall not only enjoy virtue here during this brief life but shall also, after the dissolution of the body, continue to enjoy the delights of heaven.”

#46 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

@ Van. Far be it for me to give anyone advice that I rearly follow hahah, but I will give advice that others have told me regarding this problem. Jesus did not go around talking to everyone about his gospel. You can avoid people and that does not make you a jerk :). Life is to short to spend on people who are unwilling to treat you etleast as human being. You should realize anyone who is that shallow that they go around looking down on random people are in pain themselves and are not experiencing the joy of sonship, it is infact the trolls of the world who are in the deepest and saddest pain, we should not take pity on them but realize that they are in a dark and sad place. The life spring of being a faith son is the true joy of living, the path of selfishness is only sin and unromantic living. Ignoring god only leads to unhappiness and anxiety, it is no wonder so many people walk around lashing out anyone they come across.

Edited by boomshuka, 28 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#47 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

"Be perfect, such as I am perfect"

this statement fall in my mind every time in situations like you are going thrue.
as much situation upsets me I am in advantage because I know that moral/character test is in front of me.
I then pray for guidence, I pray for selfcontrol,clear mind and of course for "problematic" person.
when the situation passes I analyse how did I do.

Do you remeber the part in the book where is described how to certain types of persons repeats certain type of situations?
i noticed when i finally master solution to certain problems the problems stop showing up again (or I just do not notice it anymore :) )

peace
Peace be upon you

#48 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

I really don't think we are meant to ignore evil; we're meant to destroy it. And therein lies the rub. We are allowed to retaliate, but we must retaliate with love and goodness, a positive attack. We are meant to fire back at these people, but with love bombs meant to stun their souls into waking up to reality. How to go about doing that, however, is a fascinating challenge.

140:5.24 Fatherly love delights in returning good for evil — doing good in retaliation for injustice.

#49 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

46:8.4 There will come an end for rebels and rebellion. The Supreme Rulers are merciful and patient, but the law of deliberately nourished evil is universally and unerringly executed. “The wages of sin is death” — eternal obliteration.

53:9.8 But for ages the seven prison worlds of spiritual darkness in Satania have constituted a solemn warning to all Nebadon, eloquently and effectively proclaiming the great truth “that the way of the transgressor is hard”; “that within every sin is concealed the seed of its own destruction”; that “the wages of sin is death.”

WHY , seven prison worlds of spiritual darkness ?

I wonder how the prison world serves as a warning to Urantians as we are the only ones who cannot visit it during our lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users