3 replies to this topic

#1 ripley

ripley

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

I was walking with my friends past a bookstore, when I suddenly heard myself saying 'there it is!'. That was the Urantia Book on display in the store window. I had never heard of it and I didn't know what it was about. Nevertheless I just had to rush in and buy it. That could very well have been the most significant event of my life. From then on the UB has been my treasure.

It was 1991 and it took many years for me to finish it especially because my native tongue is Finnish and this is the English edition. Later to my delightful surprise I found out that Finnish was among the first languages it was translated to. Nowadays I mostly read the online version.

I've always been interested in art, philosophy and the meaning of life. Before UB ancient Eastern philosophies had given a lot of insight to my seeking of the path but I felt there were still some parts of deeper truth missing. Overall I don't really believe you can learn from books how to live, unless supported by your own experience, direct or indirect. I have a strong confidence in intuition as my guidance as opposed to pure reason. So maybe there are some causes to why I feel I'm just in the beginning of my journey.

Count me as a starter in the concepts of UB wisdom. The more I have 'learned' about life and everything the more it has become evident how little I actually know and understand. I guess it's part of being a human to become aware of your limitations. My world vision has been greatly enhanced by reading the UB though - at least that's how I see it now.

I've defined myself as an artist and as I am inspired by the UB so is my art - in a sense. However it's little more complicated than just that, even controversial as I really can't relate to anything concrete to support the connection. I don't feel comfortable at all e.g. depicting anything from it let alone adding citations to my works. My art is more like a child's play than anything else. It was like that even long before I had read the UB. My personal mission as an artist could be put to words as 'visualizing the invisible'. If that makes any more sense than any other definition. Maybe I'll post some examples for you to decide and see what I mean.

All in all I anticipate some interesting conversation with you on this forum. Thank you everyone for being here and good luck in your efforts whatever they are on this path called life on Urantia.

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

A beautiful testament ripley,

Glad you found the Forum. The book resonated deeply with me also, and on first sight. Opening its pages, reading those first words was very much a "personal religious experience", that was in 1987. I haven't stopped reading, studying and practicing since.

We are very fortunate to have this new revelation. And to recognize it as such--many people don't, won't, or can't, for one reason or another. It's so liberating and enlightening, so satisfying and instructive, I have to, want to, give great gratitude daily, for those who conceived, prepared and delivered this unique book full of cosmic facts, authoritative reliable revelations about the grand agondonter journey from Urantia to Paradise and the love of God for ALL his babies everywhere.

Interesting to note that the Finns were early adopters, created one of the first translations, work hard at creating other translations while tilling the European soil, preparing the ancient Andite home, from the Caspian to Spain, from Crete to Sweden.

Thank you all for your steady light, compassionate concern and unflagging determination.

Fraternal regards and welcome to the Forum, Rick

#3 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

My art is more like a child's play than anything else. It was like that even long before I had read the UB. My personal mission as an artist could be put to words as 'visualizing the invisible'.

Isaac Newton is said to have felt something similar while he explored relationships among material things. As you attempt visualization of things numinous, I will cheer from the sidelines :D

Welcome to the forum!
Nigel

#4 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

hello and welcome,

when you will read how other people find the book you will notice how different but the same situations are.

in most cases TUB finds you.

anyhow, welcome to training grounds.

peace be with you
Peace be upon you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users