#21 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Good Day Fellow Students, Forum Members and Visitors,

Abraham might never have been remembered in history if Machiventa hadn't "chosen" him. His people must have taken great pride in that fact and created from it the chosen people idea. Their scribes and priests certainly reinforced it in scripture. From the Bible's old testament:

1 Kings 3:8 "And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude."

Deuteronomy 7:6 "For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God: the Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth."

Deuteronomy 14:2 "For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth."

Isaiah 41:8-9 "But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.
Thou whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away."

Isaiah 43:20-21 "The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen. This people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise."

Isaiah 44:1 "Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen."

Psalms 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."

Psalms 105:06 "O ye seed of Abraham his servant, ye children of Jacob his chosen."

Psalms 105:43 "And he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness."

Now we know why Palestine was (and still is) so prominent in Urantian culture--Geography! Machiventa might have incarnated elsewhere but Palestine was then at the center of world travel, business and industry. But it is also now regarded as the source and seat of Urantia's three great monotheistic religions, on which so much of western culture is founded.

We now know the Melchizedeks were watching, and predicting a prodigy. How could they know that?! And, most notably, this sentence tells us that genes play a part in intellect, motivation, wisdom and virtue.

...For some time the Melchizedek receivers had been observing the ancestors of Abraham, and they confidently expected offspring in a certain generation who would be characterized by intelligence, initiative, sagacity, and sincerity.... P.1018 - 8

I don't doubt in the least that Melchizedeks and other Celestials are still watching and predicting, basing their plans on the re-emergence of such prodigies latent in our DNA.

A distorted form of the story about Terah and Abraham (Abram) appears in the Bible:

Genesis 12:1-2 "Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing."

Genesis 11:32 "And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran. "

Genesis 12:4-5 "So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came."

Genesis 12:8 "And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the Lord, and called upon the name of the Lord."

From Wikipedia:

...Most of what is told about Terah is recorded in Genesis 11:26-28. Terah's father was Nahor, son of Serug, descendants of Shem.[v.10] They and many of their ancestors were polytheistic.[3] Regarding his children, Terah had three sons: Abram, Haran, and Nahor II.[v.26] He also had a daughter-in-law Sarai, wife of Abram.[4] The entire family, including grandchildren, lived in Ur of the Chaldees.[v.31] One of his grandchildren was Lot, whose father Haran, Terah's son, died while living in Ur.[v.28]

Terah's son, Abram, had an encounter with God who directed him to take the entire family and leave Haran to the land of Canaan.[5] Terah coordinated the journey intending to go to this new land, however, he ended up staying in Haran (biblical place),[v.31] a city that was along the way. He died in Haran at 205 years of age.

...Terah's occupation

Terah was a wicked [6] idolatrous priest[7] who manufactured idols.[8][9] In Jewish tradition, Abram is considered to be the eldest of three sons who was opposed to his father’s idol shop. After Abram smashed his father’s idols and chased customers away, Terah brought his unruly son before Nimrod, who threw him into a fiery furnace, yet Abram miraculously escaped.[10] The Zohar says that when God saved Abram from the furnace, Terah repented [11] and Rabbi Abba B. Kahana said that God assured Abram that his father Terah had a portion in the World to Come.[12]

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terah

About Nahor:

...In the account of Terah's family, mentioned in Gen.11:26-32, Nahor II is listed as the son of Terah, amongst two other brothers, Abram and Haran.[v.26,27] His grandfather was Nahor I, son of Serug. Nahor married the daughter of his brother Haran, Milcah, his niece.[v.29] They were all born and raised in the city of Ur. When Abram, had an encounter with God,[3] this brother directed his family to leave their native land and go to the land of Canaan. Terah, their father, coordinated the gathering of his family to journey west to their destination.[v.31] They followed the Euphrates River, with their herds, to the Padan-Aram region. This was about halfway along the Fertile Crescent between Mesopotamia and the Mediterranean, in what is now southeastern Turkey.[4] In this region, Nahor and his family settled except for his brother Haran, who had died sometime ago back in Ur.[V.28] The city where they settled, Haran, is the place that Nahor's father eventually died.[V.32]

Nahor II continued his own travels and settled in the region of Aram Naharaim where he founded the town, Nahor.[Gen.24:10]

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahor

Nahor appears in many books of the Christian Bible:

Genesis 11:29 Abram and Nahor both married. The name of Abram's ...
..... Abram and Nahor both married. ... Meanwhile, Abram and Nahor both married. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-29.htm - 16k

Genesis 22:20 Some time later Abraham was told, "Milcah is also a ...
Some time later Abraham was told, "Milcah is also a mother;
she has borne sons to your brother Nahor ...
//bible.cc/genesis/22-20.htm - 15k

1 Chronicles 1:26 Serug, Nahor, Terah
Serug, Nahor, Terah ..... ...
//bible.cc/1_chronicles/1-26.htm - 14k

Genesis 31:53 May the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God ...
May the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between
us." So Jacob took an oath in the name of the Fear of his father Isaac. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/31-53.htm - 16k

Genesis 29:5 He said to them, "Do you know Laban, Nahor's grandson ...
He said to them, "Do you know Laban, Nahor's grandson?"
"Yes, we know him," they answered. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/29-5.htm - 15k

Genesis 11:25 And after he became the father of Terah, Nahor lived ...
And after he became the father of Terah, Nahor lived
119 years and had other sons and daughters. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-25.htm - 15k

Genesis 11:23 And after he became the father of Nahor, Serug lived ...
And after he became the father of Nahor, Serug lived
200 years and had other sons and daughters. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-23.htm - 15k

Genesis 24:47 "I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She said ...
"I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel son
of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.' "Then I put the ring in her nose and the ...
//bible.cc/genesis/24-47.htm - 16k

Genesis 11:22 When Serug had lived 30 years, he became the father ...
When Serug had lived 30 years, he became the father of Nahor. ... When
Serug was 30 years old, he became the father of Nahor. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-22.htm - 14k

Genesis 11:24 When Nahor had lived 29 years, he became the father ...
When Nahor had lived 29 years, he became the father of Terah. ... When
Nahor was 29 years old, he became the father of Terah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-24.htm - 14k

Genesis 24:24 She answered him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, the ...
She answered him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milcah bore
to Nahor ... replied. "My grandparents are Nahor and Milcah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/24-24.htm - 15k

Genesis 11:26 After Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father ...
After Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. ... After
Terah was 70 years old, he became the father of Abram, Nahor, and Haran. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-26.htm - 15k

Genesis 11:27 This is the account of Terah. Terah became the ...
... Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. ... Terah was the father of
Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran was the father of Lot. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/11-27.htm - 15k

Genesis 22:23 Bethuel became the father of Rebekah. Milcah bore ...
... Milcah bore these eight sons to Abraham's brother Nahor. ... (Bethuel fathered Rebekah.)
These eight Milcah bore to Nahor, Abraham’s brother. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/22-23.htm - 15k

Luke 3:34 the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham ...
the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son
of Nahor ... Abraham was the son of Terah. Terah was the son of Nahor. ...
//bible.cc/luke/3-34.htm - 16k

Genesis 24:15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out ...
... came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son
of Milcah, who was the wife of Abraham's brother Nahor. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/24-15.htm - 16k

Genesis 24:10 Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and ...
... He set out for Aram Naharaim and made his way to the town of Nahor. ... There he
went to the town where Abraham's brother Nahor had settled. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/24-10.htm - 16k

Joshua 24:2 Joshua said to all the people, "This is what the LORD ...
... to all the people, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Long ago your
forefathers, including Terah the father of Abraham and Nahor, lived beyond ...
//bible.cc/joshua/24-2.htm - 17k

Genesis 22:24 His concubine, whose name was Reumah, also had sons ...
... Nahor had four other children from his concubine Reumah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/22-24.htm - 15k

Luke 3:35 the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the ...
... Nahor was the son of Serug. Serug was the son of Reu. ...
//bible.cc/luke/3-35.htm - 16k

Source: http://bible.cc/search.php?q=Nahor

NB: The Ovid in today's reading is not the Roman known for erotic poetry and classic mythology.

Compare this with the Biblical version of the story:

...Upon arriving at Salem, Abraham and Lot chose a hilly fastness near the city where they could defend themselves against the many surprise attacks of northern raiders.... P.1019 - 3

Genesis 12:4-5 "So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came."

Genesis 12:8 "And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the Lord, and called upon the name of the Lord."

Bible verse source/more: http://urantiabook.o.../pmny093_5.html

In tomorrow's reading, part 2 of: THE SELECTION OF ABRAHAM Abraham makes a sojourn to Egypt and then returns to conquer Canaan, to Machiventa's displeasure.

Thanks for reading. Forum Member's thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today's OPAD presentation are invited. Join the Forum

Much love, Rick/OPAD host

Overview of Paper 93: Machiventa Melchizedek

1. The Machiventa Incarnation
2. The Sage of Salem
3. Melchizedek’s Teachings
4. The Salem Religion

5. The Selection of Abraham
6. Melchizedek’s Covenant with Abraham
7. The Melchizedek Missionaries
8. Departure of Melchizedek
9. After Melchizedek’s Departure
10. Present Status of Machiventa Melchizedek

[Presented by a Melchizedek of Nebadon.]

Reader Tools, References & Links

#22 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi Rick!
I did not remember this:

(1055.1) 96:2.3 It was only after the days of Machiventa Melchizedek and Abraham that certain tribes of Semites, because of their peculiar religious beliefs, were called the children of Israel and later on Hebrews, Jews, and the “chosen people.” Abraham was not the racial father of allthe Hebrews; he was not even the progenitor of all the Bedouin Semites who were held captive in Egypt.True, his offspring, coming up out of Egypt, did form the nucleus of the later Jewish people, but the vast majority of the men and women who became incorporated into the clans of Israel had never sojourned in Egypt. They were merely fellow nomads who chose to follow the leadership of Moses as the children of Abraham and their Semite associates from Egypt journeyed through northern Arabia.

(1055.2) 96:2.4 The Melchizedek teaching concerning El Elyon, the Most High, and the covenant of divinefavor through faith, had been largely forgotten by the time of the Egyptian enslavement of the Semite peoples who were shortly to form the Hebrew nation.But throughout this period of captivity these Arabian nomads maintained a lingering traditional
belief in Yahweh as their racial deity.

(1055.3) 96:2.5 Yahweh was worshiped by more than one hundred separate Arabian tribes, and except for the tinge of the El Elyon concept of Melchizedek which persisted among the more educated classes of Egypt, including the mixed Hebrew and Egyptian stocks, the religion of the rank and file of the Hebrew captive slaves was a modified version of the old Yahweh ritual of magic and sacrifice.

Greetings,

Alina

#23 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

Welcome to UAI Forum's One-Page-A-Day Online Study Session

Today's Presentation:

PAPER 93 - MACHIVENTA MELCHIZEDEK

5. THE SELECTION OF ABRAHAM

[Part 2 0f 2]

P.1019 - §4 Not long after they had established themselves near Salem, Abraham and Lot journeyed to the valley of the Nile to obtain food supplies as there was then a drought in Palestine. During his brief sojourn in Egypt Abraham found a distant relative on the Egyptian throne, and he served as the commander of two very successful military expeditions for this king. During the latter part of his sojourn on the Nile he and his wife, Sarah, lived at court, and when leaving Egypt, he was given a share of the spoils of his military campaigns.

P.1019 - §5 It required great determination for Abraham to forego the honors of the Egyptian court and return to the more spiritual work sponsored by Machiventa. But Melchizedek was revered even in Egypt, and when the full story was laid before Pharaoh, he strongly urged Abraham to return to the execution of his vows to the cause of Salem.

P.1019 - §6 Abraham had kingly ambitions, and on the way back from Egypt he laid before Lot his plan to subdue all Canaan and bring its people under the rule of Salem. Lot was more bent on business; so, after a later disagreement, he went to Sodom to engage in trade and animal husbandry. Lot liked neither a military nor a herder's life.

P.1019 - §7 Upon returning with his family to Salem, Abraham began to mature his military projects. He was soon recognized as the civil ruler of the Salem territory and had confederated under his leadership seven near-by tribes. Indeed, it was with great difficulty that Melchizedek restrained Abraham, who was fired with a zeal to go forth and round up the neighboring tribes with the sword that they might thus more quickly be brought to a knowledge of the Salem truths.

P.1019 - §8 Melchizedek maintained peaceful relations with all the surrounding tribes; he was not militaristic and was never attacked by any of the armies as they moved back and forth. He was entirely willing that Abraham should formulate a defensive policy for Salem such as was subsequently put into effect, but he would not approve of his pupil's ambitious schemes for conquest; so there occurred a friendly severance of relationship, Abraham going over to Hebron to establish his military capital.

P.1020 - §1 Abraham, because of his close connection with the illustrious Melchizedek, possessed great advantage over the surrounding petty kings; they all revered Melchizedek and unduly feared Abraham. Abraham knew of this fear and only awaited an opportune occasion to attack his neighbors, and this excuse came when some of these rulers presumed to raid the property of his nephew Lot, who dwelt in Sodom. Upon hearing of this, Abraham, at the head of his seven confederated tribes, moved on the enemy. His own bodyguard of 318 officered the army, numbering more than 4,000, which struck at this time.

P.1020 - §2 When Melchizedek heard of Abraham's declaration of war, he went forth to dissuade him but only caught up with his former disciple as he returned victorious from the battle. Abraham insisted that the God of Salem had given him victory over his enemies and persisted in giving a tenth of his spoils to the Salem treasury. The other ninety per cent he removed to his capital at Hebron.

P.1020 - §3 After this battle of Siddim, Abraham became leader of a second confederation of eleven tribes and not only paid tithes to Melchizedek but saw to it that all others in that vicinity did the same. His diplomatic dealings with the king of Sodom, together with the fear in which he was so generally held, resulted in the king of Sodom and others joining the Hebron military confederation; Abraham was really well on the way to establishing a powerful state in Palestine.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

#24 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Alina, the chosen people idea lives on. Even today most sects, east or west, believe God, or gods, look upon them with favor, while looking on other faiths as lacking (and is it possible to remember all in this massive book?!)

...Not long after they had established themselves near Salem, Abraham and Lot journeyed to the valley of the Nile to obtain food supplies as there was then a drought in Palestine.... P.1019 - 4

The stories of Abraham in Egypt, Lot his nephew, Hebron as Abraham's fortress, the defeat of surrounding tribes, and tithing to Melchizedek, are recorded in the Christian Bible, mostly Genesis:

...Genesis 13:1-2 "And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife, and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the south.

And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold."

Genesis 12:10 "And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land."

Genesis 13:5-12 "And Lot also, which went with Abram, had flocks, and herds, and tents.
And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell together.
And there was a strife between the herdmen of Abram's cattle and the herdmen of Lot's cattle: and the Canaanite and the Perizzite dwelled then in the land.
And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.
Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.
And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.
Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.
Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom."

Genesis 13:18 "Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the Lord. "

Genesis 14:13-16 "And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people."

Genesis 14:8-12 "And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.
And the vale of Siddim was full of slimepits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.
And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way.
And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed."

Hebrews 7:2 (Compare) "To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace."

Posted Image
Meeting of Abram and Melchizedek (painting circa 1464–1467 by Dieric Bouts the Elder)

Posted Image
Depiction of the separation of Abraham and Lot by Wenceslaus Hollar.

Images source: http://en.wikipedia....i/Abraham#Islam

About the "Battle of Siddim":

...The Battle of Siddim, or Battle of the Vale of Siddim refers to an event in the Hebrew Bible book of Genesis 14:1-12 that occurred in the days of Abram and Lot. The Vale of Siddim was the battleground for the cities of the Jordan Plain revolting against the Elamite empire and its Mesopotamian allies.

...The Mesopotamian forces overwhelmed the kings of the Jordan plain driving some them into asphalt or tar pits that littered the vale. Those who escaped, fled to the mountains including the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah. The cities of Sodom of Gomorrah were then spoiled of their goods and provisions as well as the taking of captives. Among the captives was Abram's nephew, Lot. (Genesis 14:10–12)

When word reached Abram, he immediately mounted a rescue operation, arming 318 of his trained servants who went in pursuit of the Mesopotamian armies that were returning to their homelands. They caught up with them in the city of Dan, flanking the enemy on multiple sides, during a night raid. The attack ran its course as far as Hobah, north of Damascus where he defeated Chedorlaomer and his forces. Abram recovered all the goods, even the captives who included Lot. (Genesis 14:13–17)

Posted Image
Abram Makes the Enemies Flee Who Hold His Nephew (1613 etching by Antonio Tempesta at the National Gallery of Art)

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....attle_of_Siddim

Hebron is another storied city that appears not only in Jewish and Christian scripture, but also in Islamic tradition. Hebron is now the seat of the government of the Palestinian territories. From Wikipedia:

...Hebron is located in the southern West Bank, 30 km (19 mi) south of Jerusalem. Nestled in the Judean Mountains, it lies 930 meters (3,050 ft) above sea level. It is the largest city in the West Bank and home to an estimated 175,000 Palestinians,[2][1] and over 500 Jewish settlers concentrated in and around the old quarter.[3][4][5][6] The city is most notable for containing the traditional burial site of the biblical Patriarchs and Matriarchs and is therefore considered the second-holiest city in Judaism after Jerusalem.[7] The city is also venerated by Muslims for its association with Abraham[8] and was traditionally viewed as one of the "four holy cities of Islam."

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia..../Hebron#History

Hebron today:

Posted Image

...Hebron — located south of Jerusalem in the Judean hills — is home to approximately 130,000 Arabs, 530 Jews, and three Christians. An additional 6,000 Jews reside in the adjacent community of Kiryat Arba.

Hebron is the site of the oldest Jewish community in the world, which dates back to Biblical times. The Book of Genesis relates that Abraham purchased the field where the Tomb of the Patriarchs is located as a burial place for his wife Sarah. According to Jewish tradition, the Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the Matriarchs Sarah, Rebekah, and Leah are buried in the Tomb.

Source/more: http://www.jewishvir...ory/hebron.html

In tomorrow's reading, a deal is struck whereby "Abram" is blessed with biological sons and the fatherhood of three great religious traditions along with his new name, Section 6 is titled: MELCHIZEDEK'S COVENANT WITH ABRAHAM .

Thanks for reading. Forum Member's thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today's OPAD presentation are invited. Join the Forum

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#25 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

Today's Presentation:

6. MELCHIZEDEK'S COVENANT WITH ABRAHAM

P.1020 - 4 Abraham envisaged the conquest of all Canaan. His determination was only weakened by the fact that Melchizedek would not sanction the undertaking. But Abraham had about decided to embark upon the enterprise when the thought that he had no son to succeed him as ruler of this proposed kingdom began to worry him. He arranged another conference with Melchizedek; and it was in the course of this interview that the priest of Salem, the visible Son of God, persuaded Abraham to abandon his scheme of material conquest and temporal rule in favor of the spiritual concept of the kingdom of heaven.

P.1020 - 5 Melchizedek explained to Abraham the futility of contending with the Amorite confederation but made it equally clear that these backward clans were certainly committing suicide by their foolish practices so that in a few generations they would be so weakened that the descendants of Abraham, meanwhile greatly increased, could easily overcome them.

P.1020 - 6 And Melchizedek made a formal covenant with Abraham at Salem. Said he to Abraham: "Look now up to the heavens and number the stars if you are able; so numerous shall your seed be." And Abraham believed Melchizedek, "and it was counted to him for righteousness." And then Melchizedek told Abraham the story of the future occupation of Canaan by his offspring after their sojourn in Egypt.

P.1020 - 7 This covenant of Melchizedek with Abraham represents the great Urantian agreement between divinity and humanity whereby God agrees to do everything; man only agrees to believe God's promises and follow his instructions. Heretofore it had been believed that salvation could be secured only by works--sacrifices and offerings; now, Melchizedek again brought to Urantia the good news that salvation, favor with God, is to be had by faith. But this gospel of simple faith in God was too advanced; the Semitic tribesmen subsequently preferred to go back to the older sacrifices and atonement for sin by the shedding of blood.

P.1021 - 1 It was not long after the establishment of this covenant that Isaac, the son of Abraham, was born in accordance with the promise of Melchizedek. After the birth of Isaac, Abraham took a very solemn attitude toward his covenant with Melchizedek, going over to Salem to have it stated in writing. It was at this public and formal acceptance of the covenant that he changed his name from Abram to Abraham.

P.1021 - 2 Most of the Salem believers had practiced circumcision, though it had never been made obligatory by Melchizedek. Now Abraham had always so opposed circumcision that on this occasion he decided to solemnize the event by formally accepting this rite in token of the ratification of the Salem covenant.

P.1021 - 3 It was following this real and public surrender of his personal ambitions in behalf of the larger plans of Melchizedek that the three celestial beings appeared to him on the plains of Mamre. This was an appearance of fact, notwithstanding its association with the subsequently fabricated narratives relating to the natural destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. And these legends of the happenings of those days indicate how retarded were the morals and ethics of even so recent a time.

P.1021 - 4 Upon the consummation of the solemn covenant, the reconciliation between Abraham and Melchizedek was complete. Abraham again assumed the civil and military leadership of the Salem colony, which at its height carried over one hundred thousand regular tithe payers on the rolls of the Melchizedek brotherhood. Abraham greatly improved the Salem temple and provided new tents for the entire school. He not only extended the tithing system but also instituted many improved methods of conducting the business of the school, besides contributing greatly to the better handling of the department of missionary propaganda. He also did much to effect improvement of the herds and the reorganization of the Salem dairying projects. Abraham was a shrewd and efficient business man, a wealthy man for his day; he was not overly pious, but he was thoroughly sincere, and he did believe in Machiventa Melchizedek.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us!]

#26 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

Strange doings to achieve their ends, eh? Abraham wants many heirs, Machiventa wants many Sons of God. Apparently Machiventa possessed the power and ability to make either Sarah or Abraham, or both, fertile, in their old age. From the first book of the Christian Bible's old testament:

Genesis 17:16 "And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

Not only could Machiventa work seeming miracles on Sarah's old womb, he could foresee the future in detail!

...And then Melchizedek told Abraham the story of the future occupation of Canaan by his offspring after their sojourn in Egypt.... P.1020 - 6

And lo, Machiventa's promise comes true:

...It was not long after the establishment of this covenant that Isaac, the son of Abraham, was born in accordance with the promise of Melchizedek.... P.1021 - 1

In today's reading appears the oft repeated idea (in the UB at least) that faith is the only price required for salvation, the only thing men and women need to enter into the divine, eternal family. But Abraham felt he needed to pay more, in pain and suffering:

...Now Abraham had always so opposed circumcision that on this occasion he decided to solemnize the event by formally accepting this rite in token of the ratification of the Salem covenant.... P.1021 - 2

Genesis 17:10-12 "This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

To this day, many peoples still have their baby boys' foreskins removed, but now with the acquiescence of the medical profession which cites hygienic benefits.

So what happened at this celestial appearance?:

...It was following this real and public surrender of his personal ambitions in behalf of the larger plans of Melchizedek that the three celestial beings appeared to him on the plains of Mamre.... P.1021 - 3

It's confusing, the "Lord" somehow becomes three beings. From the Bible:

Genesis 18:1 "And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant: Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree: And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant.

About the Biblical story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, from Wikipedia:

...In Genesis 18, God sends three men, thought by most commentators to have been angels appearing as men,[21] to Abraham in the plains of Mamre.

After the angels received the hospitality of Abraham and Sarah, his wife, God reveals to Abraham that he will destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, because their cry is great, "and because their sin is very grievous."[Gen 18:20] In response, Abraham reverently inquires of God if he would spare the city if 50 righteous people were found in it, to which God agrees he would not destroy it for the sake of the righteous yet dwelling therein. Abraham then inquires of God for mercy at lower numbers (first 45, then 40, then 30, then 20, and finally at 10), with God agreeing each time.[Gen 18:22-33][22] Two of the angels of God proceed to Sodom and are met by Abraham's nephew Lot, who convinces the angels to lodge with him, and they eat with his family.

Genesis 19:4-5 describes what followed, which confirms its end (RSV):

But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; and they called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them (KJV: know them, RSV: know them, NIV: can have sex with them, NJB: can have intercourse with them)."

In response, Lot refuses to give his guests to the inhabitants of Sodom and, instead, offers them his two virgin daughters to "do to them whatever you like."[Gen 19:8]NASB However, they refuse this offer and threaten to do worse to Lot than they would have done to his guests, and then lunged toward Lot to break down the door. Lot's angelic guests rescue him and strike the men with blindness.

Then (not having found even 10 righteous people in the city), they command Lot to gather his family and leave, revealing that they were sent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. As they make their escape, the angels command Lot and his family not to look back under any circumstance. However, as Sodom and Gomorrah are destroyed by God with fire and brimstone, Lot's wife looks back at the city in defiance of the angels' specific command, and she becomes a pillar of salt.

The Palestine area has always been plagued by earthquakes, and ignorant people have always attributed them to bad behavior on someone's part:

...If the cities actually existed, they might have been destroyed as the result of a natural cataclysm. Geologists have confirmed that no volcanic activity occurred within the last 4000 years. However, it is possible that the towns were destroyed by an earthquake in the region, especially if the towns lay along a major fault, the Jordan Rift Valley. However, there is a lack of contemporary accounts of seismic activity within the necessary timeframe to corroborate this theory.[14]

Posted Image
The Sodom and Gomorrah motif from the Nuremberg Chronicle by Hartmann Schedel, 1493. Note Lot's wife, already transformed into a salt pillar, in the center.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....om_and_Gomorrah

Abram/Abraham will live forever in the history of Urantia, as the father of modern monotheism, as well as Isaac and Jacob:

...Genesis 17 "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

One other note about Abraham before the story line departs from his life. He is a significant part of Islamic tradition:

...There are numerous references to Abraham in the Qur'an, including, twice, to the Scrolls of Abraham (87: 18–19; 53: 36–37); in the latter passage, it is mentioned that Abraham "fulfilled his commandments" (53: 37), a reference to all the trials that Abraham had succeeded in. In a whole series of chapters, the Qur'an relates how Abraham preached to his community as a youth and how he specifically told his father, named Azar in 6:74, to leave idol-worship and come to the worship of God (37: 83–98; 26: 69–89).[23] Some passages of the Qur'an, meanwhile, deal with the story of how God sent angels to Abraham with the announcement of the punishment to be imposed upon Lot's people in Sodom and Gomorrah (51: 24–34; 25: 51–60).[24] Other verses mention the near-sacrifice of Abraham's son (37: 100–111), whose name is not given but is presumed to be Ishmael as the following verses mention the birth of Isaac.[25] The Qur'an also repeatedly establishes Abraham's role as patriarch and mentions numerous important descendants who came through his lineage, including Isaac (25: 53), Jacob (29: 49)[26] and Ishmael (2: 132–133). In the later chapters of the Qur'an, Abraham's role becomes yet more prominent. The Qur'an mentions that Abraham and Ishmael were the reformers who set up the Kaaba in Mecca as a center of pilgrimage for monotheism (2: 124–141; 3: 65–68, 95–97).[27] The Qur'an consistently refers to Islam as the "religion of Abraham" (millat Ibrahim) (2: 135) and Abraham is given a title as Hanif (The Pure; 3: 67). The Qur'an also mentions Abraham as one whom God took as a friend (Khalil; 4: 125), hence Abraham's title in Islam, Khalil-Allah (Friend of God). The term is considered by some to be a derivation of the Patriarch's Hebrew title, Kal El, which means "voice of God".[28][29] Other instances in the Qur'an which are described in a concise manner are the rescue of Abraham from the fire into which he was thrown by his people (37: 97; 21: 68–70); his pleading for his father (28: 47); his quarrel with an unrighteous and powerful king (2: 58) and the miracle of the dead birds (2: 260).

All these events and more have been discussed with more details in Muslim tradition, and especially in the Stories of the Prophets and works of universal Islamic theology.[30] Certain episodes from the life of Abraham have been more heavily detailed in Islamic text, such as the arguments between Abraham and the evil king Nimrod, the near-sacrifice of his son, and the story of Hagar and Ishmael, which Muslims commemorate when performing pilgrimage in Mecca. In some cases, some believe these legends in Islamic text may have influenced later Jewish tradition.[31]

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham

Tomorrow's reading comprises two Sections that tell of the initial successes, and latter failures of: THE MELCHIZEDEK MISSIONARIES who went out of Salem carrying the saving message of faith in the one God. And of the: DEPARTURE OF MELCHIZEDEK

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#27 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Today's Presentation:

7. THE MELCHIZEDEK MISSIONARIES

P.1021 - 5 Melchizedek continued for some years to instruct his students and to train the Salem missionaries, who penetrated to all the surrounding tribes, especially to Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Asia Minor. And as the decades passed, these teachers journeyed farther and farther from Salem, carrying with them Machiventa's gospel of belief and faith in God.

P.1021 - 6 The descendants of Adamson, clustered about the shores of the lake of Van, were willing listeners to the Hittite teachers of the Salem cult. From this onetime Andite center, teachers were dispatched to the remote regions of both Europe and Asia. Salem missionaries penetrated all Europe, even to the British Isles. One group went by way of the Faroes to the Andonites of Iceland, while another traversed China and reached the Japanese of the eastern islands. The lives and experiences of the men and women who ventured forth from Salem, Mesopotamia, and Lake Van to enlighten the tribes of the Eastern Hemisphere present a heroic chapter in the annals of the human race.

P.1022 - 1 But the task was so great and the tribes were so backward that the results were vague and indefinite. From one generation to another the Salem gospel found lodgment here and there, but except in Palestine, never was the idea of one God able to claim the continued allegiance of a whole tribe or race. Long before the coming of Jesus the teachings of the early Salem missionaries had become generally submerged in the older and more universal superstitions and beliefs. The original Melchizedek gospel had been almost wholly absorbed in the beliefs in the Great Mother, the Sun, and other ancient cults.

P.1022 - 2 You who today enjoy the advantages of the art of printing little understand how difficult it was to perpetuate truth during these earlier times; how easy it was to lose sight of a new doctrine from one generation to another. There was always a tendency for the new doctrine to become absorbed into the older body of religious teaching and magical practice. A new revelation is always contaminated by the older evolutionary beliefs.

8. DEPARTURE OF MELCHIZEDEK

P.1022 - 3 It was shortly after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah that Machiventa decided to end his emergency bestowal on Urantia. Melchizedek's decision to terminate his sojourn in the flesh was influenced by numerous conditions, chief of which was the growing tendency of the surrounding tribes, and even of his immediate associates, to regard him as a demigod, to look upon him as a supernatural being, which indeed he was; but they were beginning to reverence him unduly and with a highly superstitious fear. In addition to these reasons, Melchizedek wanted to leave the scene of his earthly activities a sufficient length of time before Abraham's death to insure that the truth of the one and only God would become strongly established in the minds of his followers. Accordingly Machiventa retired one night to his tent at Salem, having said good night to his human companions, and when they went to call him in the morning, he was not there, for his fellows had taken him.

#28 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Fraternal Greetings Fellow Students, Forum Members and Guests,

Obviously Machiventa had no trouble convincing the people of that time he was a wise, unique being of unknown origin and destiny, a super-man with a mission. Apparently that served his purpose---until they wanted to deify him out of fear and suspicion! That might happen even today, eh?

About the "Andites", from Paper 78:4:

...The Andite races were the primary blends of the pure-line violet race and the Nodites plus the evolutionary peoples. In general, Andites should be thought of as having a far greater percentage of Adamic blood than the modern races. In the main, the term Andite is used to designate those peoples whose racial inheritance was from one-eighth to one-sixth violet. Modern Urantians, even the northern white races, contain much less than this percentage of the blood of Adam.... P.871 - 7

About Lake Van:

...Lake Van is the largest lake in Turkey, located in the far east of the country in Van district. It is a saline and soda lake, receiving water from numerous small streams that descend from the surrounding mountains. Lake Van is one of the world's largest endorheic lakes (having no outlet). The original outlet from the basin was blocked by an ancient volcanic eruption.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Van

Posted Image

Map source: http://www.biblemyst...brary/babel.htm

About the Faroe Islands:

...The Faroe Islands are an island group situated between the Norwegian Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, approximately halfway between Scotland and Iceland. The islands form a self-governing country under the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Denmark. The total area is approximately 1,400 km² (540 sq mi) with a 2010 population of almost 50,000 people.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....i/Faroe_Islands

Posted Image

Map source: http://wikitravel.org/en/Faroe_Islands

About Andonites, they were the offspring of Andon and Fonta, the first humans to evolve on Urantia. From Paper 63:4:

...Primitive man--the Andonites--had black eyes and a swarthy complexion, something of a cross between yellow and red.... P.713 - 7

Andonite descendants live today as the northern tribes of Inuit people, once called Eskimos.

...The original Melchizedek gospel had been almost wholly absorbed in the beliefs in the Great Mother, the Sun, and other ancient cults.... P.1022 - 1

Evidently the Great Mother cult was still popular when Greece and Rome were in their ascendency. From Wikipedia:

...Cybele was an originally Anatolian mother goddess. Little is known of her oldest Anatolian cults, other than her association with mountains, hawks and lions. She was Phrygia's State deity; her Phrygian cult was adopted and adapted by Greek colonists of Asia Minor, and spread from there to mainland Greece and its more distant western colonies from around the 6th century BCE.

In Greece, Cybele met with a mixed reception. She was partially assimilated to aspects of Gaia (the "Earth"), her Minoan equivalent Rhea, and the Corn-Mother goddess Demeter. Some city-states, notably Athens, evoked her as a protector but her most celebrated Greek rites and processions show her as an essentially foreign, exotic mystery-goddess, who arrives in a lion-drawn chariot to the accompaniment of wild music, wine, and a disorderly, ecstatic following. Uniquely in Greek religion, she had a transgendered or eunuch mendicant priesthood. Many of her Greek cults included rites to her divine "Phrygian" castrate shepherd-consort Attis, whose rites and myths appear to have been Greek inventions. In Greece, Cybele is associated with mountains, town and city walls, fertile nature, and wild animals, especially lions.

In Rome, Cybele was known as Magna Mater ("Great Mother"). The Roman State adopted and developed a particular form of her cult, and claimed her conscription as a key religious component in their success against Carthage during the Punic Wars. Roman mythographers reinvented her as a Trojan goddess, and thus an ancestral goddess of the Roman people by way of the Trojan prince Aeneas. With Rome's eventual hegemony over the Mediterranean world, Romanised forms of Cybele's cults spread throughout the Roman Empire. The meaning and morality of her cults and priesthoods were topics of debate and dispute in Greek and Roman literature, and remain so in modern scholarship.

Posted Image

Cybele enthroned, with lion, cornucopia and Mural crown. Roman marble, c. 50 CE. Getty Museum

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybele

About the cult of sun worship:

...Sol was the solar deity in Ancient Roman religion. It was long thought that Rome actually had two different, consecutive sun gods. The first, Sol Indiges, was thought to have been unimportant, disappearing altogether at an early period. Only in the late Roman Empire, scholars argued, did solar cult re-appear with the arrival in Rome of the Syrian Sol Invictus picked up from pagan worship of Mithras.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....%28mythology%29

...A new revelation is always contaminated by the older evolutionary beliefs.... P.1022 - 2

We see a certain amount of contamination even with our new revelation. Jesus well encapsulated this natural retrogressive tendency with his statement about new and old wine skins. From Paper 147:7:

...Neither do men put new wine into old wine skins, lest the new wine burst the skins so that both the wine and the skins perish. The wise man puts the new wine into fresh wine skins.... P.1655 - 4

Finally, after ninety eventful years, and the built up of a corps of missionaries to carry the light of truth all around Urantia, Machiventa suddenly and without the least fanfare, disappeared. How did that affect Abraham and Machiventa's mission? That's the subject of tomorrow's reading. Section 9 is titled: AFTER MELCHIZEDEK'S DEPARTURE

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#29 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Today's Presentation:

9. AFTER MELCHIZEDEK'S DEPARTURE

[Part 1 of 2]

P.1022 - 4 It was a great trial for Abraham when Melchizedek so suddenly disappeared. Although he had fully warned his followers that he must sometime go as he had come, they were not reconciled to the loss of their wonderful leader. The great organization built up at Salem nearly disappeared, though the traditions of these days were what Moses built upon when he led the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt.

P.1022 - 5 The loss of Melchizedek produced a sadness in the heart of Abraham that he never fully overcame. Hebron he had abandoned when he gave up the ambition of building a material kingdom; and now, upon the loss of his associate in the building of the spiritual kingdom, he departed from Salem, going south to live near his interests at Gerar.

P.1022 - 6 Abraham became fearful and timid immediately after the disappearance of Melchizedek. He withheld his identity upon arrival at Gerar, so that Abimelech appropriated his wife. (Shortly after his marriage to Sarah, Abraham one night had overheard a plot to murder him in order to get his brilliant wife. This dread became a terror to the otherwise brave and daring leader; all his life he feared that someone would kill him secretly in order to get Sarah. And this explains why, on three separate occasions, this brave man exhibited real cowardice.)

P.1023 - 1 But Abraham was not long to be deterred in his mission as the successor of Melchizedek. Soon he made converts among the Philistines and of Abimelech's people, made a treaty with them, and, in turn, became contaminated with many of their superstitions, particularly with their practice of sacrificing first-born sons. Thus did Abraham again become a great leader in Palestine. He was held in reverence by all groups and honored by all kings. He was the spiritual leader of all the surrounding tribes, and his influence continued for some time after his death. During the closing years of his life he once more returned to Hebron, the scene of his earlier activities and the place where he had worked in association with Melchizedek. Abraham's last act was to send trusty servants to the city of his brother, Nahor, on the border of Mesopotamia, to secure a woman of his own people as a wife for his son Isaac. It had long been the custom of Abraham's people to marry their cousins. And Abraham died confident in that faith in God which he had learned from Melchizedek in the vanished schools of Salem.

P.1023 - 2 It was hard for the next generation to comprehend the story of Melchizedek; within five hundred years many regarded the whole narrative as a myth. Isaac held fairly well to the teachings of his father and nourished the gospel of the Salem colony, but it was harder for Jacob to grasp the significance of these traditions. Joseph was a firm believer in Melchizedek and was, largely because of this, regarded by his brothers as a dreamer. Joseph's honor in Egypt was chiefly due to the memory of his great-grandfather Abraham. Joseph was offered military command of the Egyptian armies, but being such a firm believer in the traditions of Melchizedek and the later teachings of Abraham and Isaac, he elected to serve as a civil administrator, believing that he could thus better labor for the advancement of the kingdom of heaven.

#30 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Much to Abraham's dismay Machiventa was gone! Then his teachings became diluted and confused:

...The great organization built up at Salem nearly disappeared.... P.1022 - 4

The ways of the celestials are truly inscrutable. Why did Machiventa have to suddenly leave to the ravages of ignorance and confusion all he had long worked to create? The same vacuum of wisdom and leadership descended on Adam and Eve when the Melchizedek receivers departed from the Garden--even as Adam pleaded with them to stay. It can only be my limited cosmic perspective that asks such questions.

About Gerar:

...Gerar - meaning "lodging-place" - was a Philistine town and district in what is today south central Israel. Archaeological evidence[citation needed] points to the town having come into existence with the arrival of the Philistines at around 1200 BC and having been little more than a village until 800-700 BC.

Biblically, the town features in two of the three wife-sister narratives in Genesis. The Bible records that Abraham and Isaac each stayed at Gerar, near what became Beersheba, and that each passed his wife off as his sister, leading to complications involving Gerar's Philistine king, Abimelech. (Genesis 20:1, and Genesis 26:1) The Haggada identifies the two references to Abimelech as two separate people, the second being the first Abimelech's son, and that his original name was Benmelech["son of the King"], but he changed his name to his father's, which clearly evidences that the name means "my father is the king".

According to Easton's Bible Dictionary[1] the Biblical valley of Gerar (Genesis 26:17) was probably the modern Wadi el-Jerdr. The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia,[2] Dr. William Smith's Bible Dictionary,[3] and Thompson's Chain Topics[4] all state simply that it was "south of Gaza". The Bible Places web site says it is generally accepted that Tel Haror is the site of ancient Gerar.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerar

More about Abimelech:

...Abimelech (also spelled Abimelek or Avimelech "father/leader of a king; my father/leader, a king") was a common name of the Philistine kings.

Abimelech was most prominently the name of a king of Gerar who is mentioned in two of the three wife-sister narratives in Genesis. The Haggada identifies them as separate people, the second being the first Abimelech's son, and that his original name was Benmelech ("son of the King") but changed his name to his father's. At the time of Abimelech, there was an Egyptian governor of Tyre named Abimilki. They could possibly be the same person. Abimilki's name appears on the Amarna tablets.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abimelech

Abimelech in the Christian Bible:

...Judges 9:20 But if you have not, let fire come out from Abimelech ...
But if you have not, let fire come out from Abimelech and consume you, citizens
of Shechem and Beth Millo, and let fire come out from you, citizens of Shechem ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-20.htm - 17k
Genesis 21:25 Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of ...
Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of
water that Abimelech's servants had seized. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/21-25.htm - 15k
Judges 9:23 God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the ...
God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the citizens of
Shechem, who acted treacherously against Abimelech. ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-23.htm - 16k
Judges 9:29 If only this people were under my command! Then I ...
... I would say to Abimelech, 'Call out your whole army!'" .. ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-29.htm - 16k
Judges 9:28 Then Gaal son of Ebed said, "Who is Abimelech, and who ...
Then Gaal son of Ebed said, "Who is Abimelech, and who is Shechem, that
we should be subject to him? ... Why should we serve Abimelech? ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-28.htm - 17k
Judges 10:1 After the time of Abimelech a man of Issachar, Tola ...
After the time of Abimelech a man of Issachar, Tola son of Puah, the son of Dodo,
rose to save Israel. He lived in Shamir, in the hill country of Ephraim. ...
//bible.cc/judges/10-1.htm - 16k
Genesis 26:1 Now there was a famine in the land--besides the ...
Now there was a famine in the land--besides the earlier famine of Abraham's
time--and Isaac went to Abimelech king of the Philistines in Gerar. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/26-1.htm - 16k
Judges 9:1 Abimelech son of Jerub-Baal went to his mother's ...
Abimelech son of Jerub-Baal went to his mother's brothers in Shechem
and said to them and to all his mother's clan ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-1.htm - 16k
Genesis 21:22 At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of ...
At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces said
to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/21-22.htm - 16k
Judges 9:3 When the brothers repeated all this to the citizens of ...
When the brothers repeated all this to the citizens of Shechem, they were inclined
to follow Abimelech, for they said, "He is our brother ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-3.htm - 16k
Genesis 20:2 and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, "She is my ...
and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, "She is my sister." Then
Abimelech king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/20-2.htm - 15k
Judges 9:19 if then you have acted honorably and in good faith ...
if then you have acted honorably and in good faith toward Jerub-Baal and his family
today, may Abimelech be your joy, and may you be his, too! ...
//bible.cc/judges/9-19.htm - 16k
2 Samuel 11:21 Who killed Abimelech son of Jerub-Besheth? Didn'ta ...
Who killed Abimelech son of Jerub-Besheth? ... Wasn't Abimelech son of Gideon killed
at Thebez by a woman who threw a millstone down on him from the wall? ...
//bible.cc/2_samuel/11-21.htm - 19k
Genesis 20:3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and ...
But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, "You are as good
as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman ...
//bible.cc/genesis/20-3.htm - 16k
Genesis 20:17 Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech ...
Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and
his slave girls so they could have children again ...
//bible.cc/genesis/20-17.htm - 15k
Genesis 20:4 Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said ...
Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, "Lord, will you destroy
an innocent nation? ... Now Abimelech had not approached her. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/20-4.htm - 15k
Genesis 20:14 Then Abimelech brought sheep and cattle and male and ...
Then Abimelech brought sheep and cattle and male and female slaves and gave
them to Abraham, and he returned Sarah his wife to him. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/20-14.htm - 15k
Genesis 21:29 and Abimelech asked Abraham, "What is the meaning of ...
and Abimelech asked Abraham, "What is the meaning of these
seven ewe lambs you have set apart by themselves ...
//bible.cc/genesis/21-29.htm - 15k
Genesis 26:26 Meanwhile, Abimelech had come to him from Gerar ...
Meanwhile, Abimelech had come to him from Gerar, with Ahuzzath his personal
adviser and Phicol the commander of his forces. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/26-26.htm - 15k
Genesis 26:10 Then Abimelech said, "What is this you have done to ...
Then Abimelech said, "What is this you have done to us? One of the ... "How
could you do this to us?" Abimelech exclaimed. "One of my ...
//bible.cc/genesis/26-10.htm - 16k

Source: http://bible.cc/search.php?q=abimelech

About Isaac (who is cited in a dozen UB paragraphs):

...Isaac as described in the Hebrew Bible, was the only son Abraham had with his wife Sarah, and was the father of Jacob and Esau. Isaac was one of the three patriarchs of the Israelites. According to the Book of Genesis, Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born, and Sarah was beyond childbearing years.
Isaac was the only biblical patriarch whose name was not changed, and the only one who did not leave Canaan. Compared to those of Abraham and Jacob, Isaac's story relates fewer incidents of his life. He died when he was 180 years old, making him the longest-lived patriarch.

...When Isaac was 40, Abraham sent Eliezer, his steward, into Mesopotamia to find a wife for Isaac, from his nephew Bethuel's family. Eliezer chose Rebekah for Isaac. After many years of marriage to Isaac, Rebekah had still not given birth to a child and was believed to be barren. Isaac prayed for her and she conceived. Rebekah gave birth to twin boys, Esau and Jacob. Isaac was 60 years old when his two sons were born. Isaac favored Esau, and Rebekah favored Jacob.[12]

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac

...Abraham's last act was to send trusty servants to the city of his brother, Nahor, on the border of Mesopotamia, to secure a woman of his own people as a wife for his son Isaac.... P.1023 - 1

From Genesis:

...Genesis 24:2-4 "And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh: And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell: But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac."

...Joseph was offered military command of the Egyptian armies, but being such a firm believer in the traditions of Melchizedek and the later teachings of Abraham and Isaac, he elected to serve as a civil administrator.... P.1023 - 2

Joseph in Genesis:

...39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you.

40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.”

41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.”

42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck.

43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command,c and men shouted before him, “Make wayd!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt.

Source: http://niv.scripture.../genesis/41.htm

Joseph in Islam:

...Joseph is one of the most revered men in Islamic history. Having come through an especially noble line of patriarchs - Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - Joseph too was awarded the gift of prophecy like his forefathers. Joseph's Qur'anic narrative is perhaps one of the Book's most detailed accounts of the life and deeds of a prophet. Joseph, as a figure, is symbolic of the virtue of beauty - his life being a thing of beauty in itself. Most importantly, though, Joseph is admired as a great preacher of the Islamic faith, who had an extremely strong commitment to God and one who tried to get people to follow the path of righteousness.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia...._view_of_Joseph

More about Joseph, and Machiventa's legacy, in tomorrow's reading, part 2 of Section 9: AFTER MELCHIZEDEK'S DEPARTURE

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#31 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

Today's Presentation:

9. AFTER MELCHIZEDEK'S DEPARTURE

[Part 2 of 2]

P.1023 - 3 The teaching of Melchizedek was full and replete, but the records of these days seemed impossible and fantastic to the later Hebrew priests, although many had some understanding of these transactions, at least up to the times of the en masse editing of the Old Testament records in Babylon.

P.1023 - 4 What the Old Testament records describe as conversations between Abraham and God were in reality conferences between Abraham and Melchizedek. Later scribes regarded the term Melchizedek as synonymous with God. The record of so many contacts of Abraham and Sarah with "the angel of the Lord" refers to their numerous visits with Melchizedek.

P.1023 - 5 The Hebrew narratives of Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph are far more reliable than those about Abraham, although they also contain many diversions from the facts, alterations made intentionally and unintentionally at the time of the compilation of these records by the Hebrew priests during the Babylonian captivity. Keturah was not a wife of Abraham; like Hagar, she was merely a concubine. All of Abraham's property went to Isaac, the son of Sarah, the status wife. Abraham was not so old as the records indicate, and his wife was much younger. These ages were deliberately altered in order to provide for the subsequent alleged miraculous birth of Isaac.

P.1023 - 6 The national ego of the Jews was tremendously depressed by the Babylonian captivity. In their reaction against national inferiority they swung to the other extreme of national and racial egotism, in which they distorted and perverted their traditions with the view of exalting themselves above all races as the chosen people of God; and hence they carefully edited all their records for the purpose of raising Abraham and their other national leaders high up above all other persons, not excepting Melchizedek himself. The Hebrew scribes therefore destroyed every record of these momentous times which they could find, preserving only the narrative of the meeting of Abraham and Melchizedek after the battle of Siddim, which they deemed reflected great honor upon Abraham.

P.1024 - 1 And thus, in losing sight of Melchizedek, they also lost sight of the teaching of this emergency Son regarding the spiritual mission of the promised bestowal Son; lost sight of the nature of this mission so fully and completely that very few of their progeny were able or willing to recognize and receive Michael when he appeared on earth and in the flesh as Machiventa had foretold.

P.1024 - 2 But one of the writers of the Book of Hebrews understood the mission of Melchizedek, for it is written: "This Melchizedek, priest of the Most High, was also king of peace; without father, without mother, without pedigree, having neither beginning of days nor end of life but made like a Son of God, he abides a priest continually." This writer designated Melchizedek as a type of the later bestowal of Michael, affirming that Jesus was "a minister forever on the order of Melchizedek." While this comparison was not altogether fortunate, it was literally true that Christ did receive provisional title to Urantia "upon the orders of the twelve Melchizedek receivers" on duty at the time of his world bestowal.

#32 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

It's such a sweet advantage to know the real meaning and have the genuine facts about the seemingly strange activities reported in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible, the Torah and the Qur'an.

...The record of so many contacts of Abraham and Sarah with "the angel of the Lord" refers to their numerous visits with Melchizedek.... P.1023 - 4

From the Old Testament's first book:

...Genesis 16:7 "And the angel of the Lord found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur."

Genesis 16:9-11 "And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction."

Genesis 22:11 "And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I."

Genesis 22:15 "And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time."

Genesis 12:7 "And the Lord appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him."

Genesis 13:14 "And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward."

Genesis 15:1 "After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

Genesis 15:4 "And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir."

Genesis 15:7 "And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it."

Genesis 16:12-13 "And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren. And she called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?"

Genesis 17:1-22 "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant. And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear? And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham."

Genesis 18:1 "And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day."

Genesis 18:9-10 "And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent. And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him."

Genesis 18:17 "And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do."

Genesis 18:20 "And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous."

About the Old Testament records of Abraham's and Sarah's age:

...Genesis 17:1"And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect."

Genesis 17:16-17 "And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?"

Genesis 21:1-8 "And the Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did unto Sarah as he had spoken. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him. And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac. And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him. And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him. And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me. And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age. And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned."

Genesis 18:10-12 "And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him. Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?"

Genesis 23:1 "And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah."

Bible Sources: http://urantiabook.o.../pmny093_9.html

About the concubine, Keturah:

...Genesis 25:1 Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. ... Abraham married another wife, whose name was Keturah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/25-1.htm - 14k

1 Chronicles 1:33 The sons of Midian: Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida ... ... and Eldaah. All these were descendants of Keturah. ... and Eldaah. All these were descendants of Abraham through his concubine Keturah. ...
//bible.cc/1_chronicles/1-33.htm - 16k

1 Chronicles 1:32 The sons born to Keturah, Abraham's concubine ... The sons born to Keturah, Abraham's concubine: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian,
Ishbak and Shuah. The sons of Jokshan: Sheba and Dedan. ...
//bible.cc/1_chronicles/1-32.htm - 16k

Genesis 25:4 The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida ... The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida and Eldaah. All these were descendants of Keturah. ... These were all descendants of Abraham through Keturah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/25-4.htm - 15k

Genesis 25:2 She bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak ... ... Keturah gave birth to these sons of Abraham: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. ...
//bible.cc/genesis/25-2.htm - 15k

Source: http://bible.cc/search.php?q=keturah

The Biblical and Qur'anic versions of Abraham, Sarah and Hagar (Hagar is cited only once in the UB):

...Hagar according to the Abrahamic faiths, was the second wife of Abraham, (Genesis 16:3) and the mother of his first son, Ishmael. Her story is recorded in the Book of Genesis, mentioned in Hadith, and alluded to in the Qur'an. Hagar's son, Ishmael, is the patriarch of the Ishmaelites.

...Hagar was an Egyptian handmaiden of Sarai, the first wife of Abraham, who served her mistress less than ten years since coming out of Egypt. Hagar was offered, by her mistress, to Abram to be as a second wife.[Gen.16:3] Sarai presented this offering to her husband because she had been barren for so long and sought a way to fulfill God's promise, especially since they were getting older. (Genesis 16:1-3)

When Hagar realized that she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. Sarai sensed her slave's attitude which caused her to suffer greatly. Sarai then consulted her husband about the matter who gave her permission to do with Hagar as she saw fit. Sarai dealt with her harshly, which resulted in Hagar fleeing from Abram’s settlement. (Genesis 16:4-6)

Hagar fled into the desert on her way to Shur. En route, an angel of Yahweh appeared to Hagar at the well of a spring. He instructed her to return to Sarai her mistress, so that she may bear a child who "shall be a wild donkey of a man, his hand against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he shall dwell over against all his kinsmen." [Gen.16:12] Then she was told to call her son Ishmael. Afterward, Hagar referred to God as "El Roi".[1] She then did as she was instructed by returning to Abram in order to have her child. When Abram was eighty-six years of age, Hagar gave birth to his firstborn son named Ishmael. (Genesis 16:7-16)

Hagar freed

When Isaac was born to Sarah (Sarai), the relationship between Hagar and her mistress had come to a climax. At a celebration after Isaac was weaned, Sarah found the teenage Ishmael mocking her son. She was so upset by it that she demanded from her husband, who was now referred to as Abraham, to send Hagar and her son away. She declared that Ishmael would not share in Isaac's inheritance. Abraham was greatly distressed by his wife's words and sought the advice of God. Yahweh told Abraham not to be distressed but to do as his wife commanded because not only would Isaac carry the Abrahamic line, but a nation would come from the line of Ishmael as well. (Genesis 21:9-13)

Early the next morning, Abraham brought Hagar and Ishmael out together. He released Hagar and her son from being slaves of their household. Hagar would now be a free woman, and Ishmael a free man as a teenager. Under Mesopotamian law, their freedom absolved them from laying claim to any inheritance that Abraham and Sarah had. Abraham gave Hagar bread and water for a journey into the wilderness of Beersheba. She and her son wandered aimlessly until the bottle of water was completely consumed. In a moment of despair, she burst in tears. Her son then called to God and upon hearing him, an angel of Yahweh confirmed to Hagar that her son would become a great nation. A well of water then appeared so that it saved their lives. Hagar found her son a wife from her native home in the land of Egypt and they settled in the Desert of Paran. (Genesis 21:14-21)

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagar

The "Babylonian Captivity", from Wikipedia (bolding mine):

...The Babylonian Captivity and the subsequent return to Israel were seen as one of the pivotal events in the biblical drama between Yahweh and his people of Israel. Just as they had been predestined for, and saved from, slavery in Egypt, in the logic of the Bible it had been prophesied that the Israelites would go into captivity to the Babylonians for their idolatry and disobedience to Yahweh, and then be delivered once more. The Babylonian Captivity had a number of serious effects on Judaism and the Jewish culture. For example, the current Hebrew script was adopted during this period, replacing the traditional Israelite script. This period saw the last high-point of Biblical prophecy in the person of Ezekiel, followed by the emergence of the central role of the Torah in Jewish life; according to many historical-critical scholars, it was edited and redacted during this time, and saw the beginning of the canonization of the Bible, which provided a central text for Jews.

This process coincided with the emergence of scribes and sages as Jewish leaders (see Ezra). Prior to exile, the people of Israel had been organized according to tribe; afterwards, they were organized by clans, only the tribe of Levi continuing in its 'special role'. After this time, there were always sizable numbers of Jews living outside Eretz Israel; thus, it also marks the beginning of the "Jewish diaspora", unless this is considered to have begun with the Assyrian Captivity of Israel.

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....onian_captivity

The battle of Siddim was cited in Section 5 of this Paper:

...The Battle of Siddim, or Battle of the Vale of Siddim refers to an event in the Hebrew Bible book of Genesis 14:1-12 that occurred in the days of Abram and Lot. The Vale of Siddim was the battleground for the cities of the Jordan Plain revolting against the Elamite empire and its Mesopotamian allies.

... The Mesopotamian forces overwhelmed the kings of the Jordan plain driving some them into asphalt or tar pits that littered the vale. Those who escaped, fled to the mountains including the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah. The cities of Sodom of Gomorrah were then spoiled of their goods and provisions as well as the taking of captives. Among the captives was Abram's nephew, Lot. (Genesis 14:10–12)

When word reached Abram, he immediately mounted a rescue operation, arming 318 of his trained servants who went in pursuit of the Mesopotamian armies that were returning to their homelands. They caught up with them in the city of Dan, flanking the enemy on multiple sides, during a night raid. The attack ran its course as far as Hobah, north of Damascus where he defeated Chedorlaomer and his forces. Abram recovered all the goods, even the captives who included Lot. (Genesis 14:13–17)

Source/more: http://en.wikipedia....attle_of_Siddim

...But one of the writers of the Book of Hebrews understood the mission of Melchizedek, for it is written: "This Melchizedek, priest of the Most High, was also king of peace; without father, without mother, without pedigree, having neither beginning of days nor end of life but made like a Son of God, he abides a priest continually.... " P.1024 - 2

Reference to Machiventa in the Book of Hebrews:

...Hebrews 7:1-3 "For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace. Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually."

After the order of Melchizedek, also from the Book of Hebrews:

...Hebrews 5:6 "As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

Hebrews 6:20 "Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

Hebrews 7:17 "For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

Hebrews 7:21 "(For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)"

...While this comparison was not altogether fortunate, it was literally true that Christ did receive provisional title to Urantia "upon the orders of the twelve Melchizedek receivers" on duty at the time of his world bestowal.... P.1024 - 2

Hmm...unsure who is being quoted in the sentence above. No references are found outside the UB.

Tomorrow's reading is the last of Paper 93, it summarizes the effects of his incarnation, even ventures to speculate about Machiventa's future "in person" appearance on Urantia. Section 10 is titled: PRESENT STATUS OF MACHIVENTA MELCHIZEDEK

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#33 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

Today's Presentation:

10. PRESENT STATUS OF MACHIVENTA MELCHIZEDEK

P.1024 - 3 During the years of Machiventa's incarnation the Urantia Melchizedek receivers functioned as eleven. When Machiventa considered that his mission as an emergency Son was finished, he signalized this fact to his eleven associates, and they immediately made ready the technique whereby he was to be released from the flesh and safely restored to his original Melchizedek status. And on the third day after his disappearance from Salem he appeared among his eleven fellows of the Urantia assignment and resumed his interrupted career as one of the planetary receivers of 606 of Satania.

P.1024 - 4 Machiventa terminated his bestowal as a creature of flesh and blood just as suddenly and unceremoniously as he had begun it. Neither his appearance nor departure were accompanied by any unusual announcement or demonstration; neither resurrection roll call nor ending of planetary dispensation marked his appearance on Urantia; his was an emergency bestowal. But Machiventa did not end his sojourn in the flesh of human beings until he had been duly released by the Father Melchizedek and had been informed that his emergency bestowal had received the approval of the chief executive of Nebadon, Gabriel of Salvington.

P.1024 - 5 Machiventa Melchizedek continued to take a great interest in the affairs of the descendants of those men who had believed in his teachings when he was in the flesh. But the progeny of Abraham through Isaac as intermarried with the Kenites were the only line which long continued to nourish any clear concept of the Salem teachings.

P.1024 - 6 This same Melchizedek continued to collaborate throughout the nineteen succeeding centuries with the many prophets and seers, thus endeavoring to keep alive the truths of Salem until the fullness of the time for Michael's appearance on earth.

P.1025 - 1 Machiventa continued as a planetary receiver up to the times of the triumph of Michael on Urantia. Subsequently, he was attached to the Urantia service on Jerusem as one of the four and twenty directors, only just recently having been elevated to the position of personal ambassador on Jerusem of the Creator Son, bearing the title Vicegerent Planetary Prince of Urantia. It is our belief that, as long as Urantia remains an inhabited planet, Machiventa Melchizedek will not be fully returned to the duties of his order of sonship but will remain, speaking in the terms of time, forever a planetary minister representing Christ Michael.

P.1025 - 2 As his was an emergency bestowal on Urantia, it does not appear from the records what Machiventa's future may be. It may develop that the Melchizedek corps of Nebadon have sustained the permanent loss of one of their number. Recent rulings handed down from the Most Highs of Edentia, and later confirmed by the Ancients of Days of Uversa, strongly suggest that this bestowal Melchizedek is destined to take the place of the fallen Planetary Prince, Caligastia. If our conjectures in this respect are correct, it is altogether possible that Machiventa Melchizedek may again appear in person on Urantia and in some modified manner resume the role of the dethroned Planetary Prince, or else appear on earth to function as vicegerent Planetary Prince representing Christ Michael, who now actually holds the title of Planetary Prince of Urantia. While it is far from clear to us as to what Machiventa's destiny may be, nevertheless, events which have so recently taken place strongly suggest that the foregoing conjectures are probably not far from the truth.

P.1025 - 3 We well understand how, by his triumph on Urantia, Michael became the successor of both Caligastia and Adam; how he became the planetary Prince of Peace and the second Adam. And now we behold the conferring upon this Melchizedek of the title Vicegerent Planetary Prince of Urantia. Will he also be constituted Vicegerent Material Son of Urantia? Or is there a possibility that an unexpected and unprecedented event is to take place, the sometime return to the planet of Adam and Eve or certain of their progeny as representatives of Michael with the titles vicegerents of the second Adam of Urantia?

P.1025 - 4 And all these speculations associated with the certainty of future appearances of both Magisterial and Trinity Teacher Sons, in conjunction with the explicit promise of the Creator Son to return sometime, make Urantia a planet of future uncertainty and render it one of the most interesting and intriguing spheres in all the universe of Nebadon. It is altogether possible that, in some future age when Urantia is approaching the era of light and life, after the affairs of the Lucifer rebellion and the Caligastia secession have been finally adjudicated, we may witness the presence on Urantia, simultaneously, of Machiventa, Adam, Eve, and Christ Michael, as well as either a Magisterial Son or even Trinity Teacher Sons.

P.1025 - 5 It has long been the opinion of our order that Machiventa's presence on the Jerusem corps of Urantia directors, the four and twenty counselors, is sufficient evidence to warrant the belief that he is destined to follow the mortals of Urantia on through the universe scheme of progression and ascension even to the Paradise Corps of the Finality. We know that Adam and Eve are thus destined to accompany their earth fellows on the Paradise adventure when Urantia has become settled in light and life.

P.1025 - 6 Less than a thousand years ago this same Machiventa Melchizedek, the onetime sage of Salem, was invisibly present on Urantia for a period of one hundred years, acting as resident governor general of the planet; and if the present system of directing planetary affairs should continue, he will be due to return in the same capacity in a little over one thousand years.

P.1026 - 1 This is the story of Machiventa Melchizedek, one of the most unique of all characters ever to become connected with the history of Urantia and a personality who may be destined to play an important role in the future experience of your irregular and unusual world.

P.1026 - §2 [Presented by a Melchizedek of Nebadon.]

#34 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

...And on the third day after his disappearance from Salem he appeared among his eleven fellows of the Urantia assignment and resumed his interrupted career as one of the planetary receivers of 606 of Satania.... P.1024 - 3

So where was Machiventa for those three days? Same place as Jesus?

...But Machiventa did not end his sojourn in the flesh of human beings until he had been duly released by the Father Melchizedek and had been informed that his emergency bestowal had received the approval of the chief executive of Nebadon, Gabriel of Salvington.... P.1024 - 4

Makes one wonder if he would have been told to remain in the flesh if Father Mel and Gabriel had not given their approval.

About the Kenites, they are mentioned in several places, especially as the line who fostered the formation of the Jews belief in one God. Their teachings even reached the times of the Master's incarnation. From Paper 131:2:

...The Kenites of Palestine salvaged much of the teaching of Melchizedek, and from these records, as preserved and modified by the Jews, Jesus and Ganid made the following selection: P.1444 - 1

This is an intriguing statement, how exactly did he accomplish this collaboration, and does this still occur today?:

...This same Melchizedek continued to collaborate throughout the nineteen succeeding centuries with the many prophets and seers.... P.1024 - 6

For more about the "four and twenty", see Paper 45:4:

...These twenty-four counselors have been recruited from the eight Urantia races, and the last of this group were assembled at the time of the resurrection roll call of Michael, nineteen hundred years ago.... P.513 - 5

Apparently the "second Adam" concept is not new. From the Bible's New Testament:

1 Corinthians 15:45-47 "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven."

Occasionally I hear a presumed prophet declaring the Lucifer rebellion has already been adjudicated. Such a declaration flies in the face of this statement, no?

...It is altogether possible that, in some future age when Urantia is approaching the era of light and life, after the affairs of the Lucifer rebellion and the Caligastia secession have been finally adjudicated, we may witness the presence on Urantia, simultaneously, of Machiventa, Adam, Eve, and Christ Michael, as well as either a Magisterial Son or even Trinity Teacher Sons.... P.1025 - 4

And there are other statements in the book that indicate the Lucifer rebellion will not be concluded until every sympathizer in all Nebadon has either been dissuaded or has been irretrievably lost to Lucifer's cause.

Hmm...curiosity makes one wonder when exactly this will, or did, happen:

...if the present system of directing planetary affairs should continue, he will be due to return in the same capacity in a little over one thousand years.... P.1025 - 6

So now we know the truth about our "irregular and unusual world", and how fortunate we were to be born here, even as we have to struggle in a sick environment of potential and real evil, tragic and numbing events, insane and stifling culture, even in such conditions we try and succeed in claiming our birthright as Sons and Daughters of the good God who created a Universe where such things can happen. In and through it all, we have to give due credit to Machiventa without whom we might have drifted even father from reality, salvation, light and life.

For the next five Papers we will follow in the wake of his 94 year emergency incarnation, going to the East first. Paper 94 is titled: THE MELCHIZEDEK TEACHINGS IN THE ORIENT

2. The Sage of Salem
4. The Salem Religion

#35 ignaciomancilla

ignaciomancilla

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello Rick!

im Ignacio and want to make you two questionos about Maquiventa Melquisedek...

first one. Do you think is possible that Maquiventa M. at this time here in earth is our planetary Prince?

second one. when any personality aventually been our planetary Prince, will came with his entourage as Caligastia came before with one?

this questions are in order that in the book says to us that is almost a fact that Maquiventa became our planetary Prince.
and that will make me very happy.

#36 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hello Ignacio!

Good questions. Does this paragraph from Paper 93:10 answer your first one?

...As his was an emergency bestowal on Urantia, it does not appear from the records what Machiventa's future may be. It may develop that the Melchizedek corps of Nebadon have sustained the permanent loss of one of their number. Recent rulings handed down from the Most Highs of Edentia, and later confirmed by the Ancients of Days of Uversa, strongly suggest that this bestowal Melchizedek is destined to take the place of the fallen Planetary Prince, Caligastia. If our conjectures in this respect are correct, it is altogether possible that Machiventa Melchizedek may again appear in person on Urantia and in some modified manner resume the role of the dethroned Planetary Prince, or else appear on earth to function as vicegerent Planetary Prince representing Christ Michael, who now actually holds the title of Planetary Prince of Urantia. While it is far from clear to us as to what Machiventa's destiny may be, nevertheless, events which have so recently taken place strongly suggest that the foregoing conjectures are probably not far from the truth.... P.1025 - 2

Your second question we can speculate about. Caligastia came with a team, but Adam and Eve came alone, and Machiventa, and Michael...So much depends on the planet's level of spiritual development, no?

#37 ignaciomancilla

ignaciomancilla

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

jejeje, thanks Rick for your answers...

for the second one then you are tryng to tell us that ALL the angels will have to came with the Planetary Prince to help him with us... jajaja.

#38 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Must be a big job, Ignacio. So big. Calling all angels :wub:

#39 ignaciomancilla

ignaciomancilla

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Actually one of the biggers problems in humanity i think is that we dont know where does we came and where does we goes, this grows confusion and adherence to material things, in ancient when caligastia came, when Adan and Eva came, when Maquiventa came, when Jesus came,humanity had the great opportunity to see an to live great things, great persons, and now at this moment when we have a huge world population with all these huge desviations... it seems to me that maybe we deserve this kind of opportunity as the coming of a great personality to light us the way... just as some one light our brothers before. this is the reason of my question, because even though I strongly believe in the revelations of urantia, here nobody believes in them and sometimes I feel lonely without someone to share my thoughts and ideas.
And i really, really want to we have a planetary Prince living here with his team leading all us to the way to paradise.

#40 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hello ignaciomancilla,

I understand your feeling of loneliness without someone to share your thoughts and ideas! I read and studied the UB for 12 years, before I found someone to talk to about my thoughts and ideas! I started a study group. At that time I had several names of people. I called them and invited them to my home. What a great thrill to have other readers to talk to. That was 21 years ago. But prior to that, I did not know another soul who had ever heard of the book. Thank God for the Internet. With the Internet people can meet in places such as this forum.

I know there are people in your area who are readers. Urantia Foundation can help you, if you are interested in contacting them.

All the best,
Meredith

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users