• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

A Excellent Expression of Insights Brother Bradly
Wise Words of Wisdom !
Refreshing , Thanks

Also ...

48:7.13 11. The weak indulge in resolutions, but the strong act. Life is but a day’s work — do it well. Theactisours; the consequences God’s.

117:5.5 Man does not unite with the Supreme and submerge his personal identity, but the universe repercussions of the experience of all men do thus form a part of the divine experiencing of the Supreme. “Theactisours, the consequences God’s.”

Edited by Coop, 18 December 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#82 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Coop, and like you Absonite, this was a big one for me. I've always been a "fix it control freak" and my profession is risk management or paid paranoid! But I learned long ago one cannot control all the variables and unknowns which always affect outcomes, regardless of how well one chooses. My grannie used to say, "Let go...and let God." But I am stubborn. My first efforts were a complete elimination of material attachments, a simplification of choices and priorites (food, shelter, companionship). Slowly, I began to "see" and "hear" the intersections of choice more clearly and started making choices by different criteria while avoiding more than I embraced (there's a defensive strategy in billiards called "the lie or the leave") - playing to not lose rather than to win.

Perhaps this helped, don't know. But I came home the prodigal son and re-engaged with family and career and community and was far more successful at that which I had fled and abandoned before (this long after TUB found me and about the time I came to believe its truth). One cannot hide from reality. One cannot grow under a rock. And so I learned that it is learning that is required for perfecting....not avoidance of consequences but embracing better consequences by understanding and awareness. There is much yet to learn, obviously, but I no longer fear error and laying aside the fear, while actively applying discernment by experience, I have come to make far better choices far more often which has delivered the promised rewards or fruit of the spirit. There is that which is inferior and superior in every single choice. The superior delivers up the superior result and vice versa. Life is good.
Peace be upon you."

#83 Coop

Coop

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

118:8.5 The whole principle of biologic evolution makes it impossible for primitive man to appear on the inhabited worlds with any large endowment of self-restraint. Therefore does the same creative design which purposed evolution likewise provide those external restraints of time and space, hunger and fear, which effectively circumscribe the subspiritual choice range of such uncultured creatures. As man’s mind successfully overstrides increasingly difficult barriers, this same creative design has also provided for the slow accumulation of the racial heritage of painfully garnered experiential wisdom

— in other words, for the maintenance of a balance between the diminishing external restraints and the augmenting internal restraints.

118:8.6 The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake — material inertia — which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression;

and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom

will bear witness to the {inexorable restoration} of the {imbalance} between {self-liberty and self-control.}

Edited by Coop, 18 December 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#84 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

This definitely can be a snafu of language and relevancy.

The word response might be very useful, and neutral, enough here to help:

Freewill functions at the level of discernment (which includes attention, analysis, and decisions relevant to personal preferences). Discerning the circumstances of a situation - and choosing to give control to the indwelling Fragment, based upon that which has been discerned - spiritually upgrades what otherwise merely would be either action or reaction, into response. So, one's ability to respond (one's respond-ability: one's responsibility) occurs from discerning, and allowing the Fragment to pilot through, every situation.

If the goal is then presented as being responsible - indeed, as being personally responsible, which means: volitionally engaging life as personality partnershipping with one's pre-personal Fragment, for the sake of appropriately and spiritually responding to situations - then that might seem far more both linguistically appealing and impactfully relevant to those who are turned off by the superior/inferior language.

Edited by Absonite, 18 December 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#85 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

"Spiritual growth is first an awakening to needs, next a discernment of meanings, and then a discovery of values. "

The Urantia Book, (1095.6) 100:2.2

This is complex stuff....at least for me. To make a choice changes the dynamic within the flux of interactions, reactions, and responses. Every choice made changes every choice to come....and not just my choices but everybody's interact into new realities of intersection. Herein lies those meanings and values. Not choosing is also a choice and also affects the dynamic. It is all about change and one's awareness of the changes to "navigate" the waters and the conditions in the moment. There is no stasis to preserve or cling to except in the mind's denial of reality and truth. For yesterday's "best" choice is a different best today due to the new dynamic of variables and other interactions, even those due to no action.

This fluidity within time is a true challenge for the pilgrims of time and space. The motive of fear of outcome and the need to control outcomes both detract, dimminish, and can destroy any proactive value potential in the choice before us. Casting the mind forward into "time potentials" while expanding one's "time unit" perception is but the beginning. This is the "awareness" that must precede the "experiential wisdom" in Coop's quote above. We have to realize that feelings, thoughts, words, deeds, AND choices ALL matter.....and we begin real progress in the spirit when we accept this truth and reality. We change the future with every decision and action. Awareness comes first, error comes next, improvement comes, we grow and mature, and we become proactive partners with Father in delivering the potential therein.

Love your post Absonite....response-ability indeed!! B)
Peace be upon you."

#86 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

A recent quote of the day by our dear Sister Meredith:

In religion, Jesus advocated and followed the method of experience, even as modern science pursues the technique of experiment. We find God through the leadings of spiritual insight, but we approach this insight of the soul through the love of the beautiful, the pursuit of truth, loyalty to duty, and the worship of divine goodness. But of all these values, love is the true guide to real insight. P.2076 - §5

Peace be upon you."

#87 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

118:6.6 In the mortal life, paths of differential conduct are continually opening and closing, and during the times when choice is possible the human personality is constantly deciding between these many courses of action.

There really is a best way, it's God's way, and I think we can all agree on that. But on the way to discovery of the best way, first we encounter good ways and better ways and sometimes not so good ways and even bad ways. The hardest lesson to learn is to recognize when a path of differential conduct is actually opening or closing. Most of us prefer to procrastinate or wait until we're backed against a wall and must make a choice. I use to love to say, "Let's see if it's better tomorrow," as if something magical would happen while I slept . . . little fix-it elves who just appear out of nowhere and solve little problems. And low and behold, I discovered that sometimes it is okay to do just that, to let things go for a while, to not make a decision, to do nothing. You all remember that time when the apostles were fighting with John the Baptist's disciples? Jesus took them into the hills for a weekend, and when they returned they forgot what it was that they were all upset about. Things did get fixed seemingingly magically, problems solved themselves somehow. So here is an example of learning to recognize when a path of differential conduct is closed and we should leave it closed.

143:3.6 The third day when they started down the mountain and back to their camp, a great change had come over them. They had made the important discovery that many human perplexities are in reality nonexistent, that many pressing troubles are the creations of exaggerated fear and the offspring of augmented apprehension. They had learned that all such perplexities are best handled by being forsaken; by going off they had left such problems to solve themselves.

And then there are times when a path of differential conduct is open and we should seize the moment. This is not really so much about being in control; it's more about self-control and self-mastery. You really have to have at some time discovered and recognized the good, better or best way. Somewhere inside of you, that wisdom is growing, and that place is called the soul. I can't stress enough the importance of striving to become conscious of your soul. The soul has powers of influence which are very reliable.

It's also not about being passive, which is negative.

103:2.1 Religion is never a passive experience, a negative attitude.

The spiritual life is an active and positive one. It's a life of difficult decisions and confusing choices, but that's the way it's supposed to be. "Trouble will invigorate you; disappointment will spur you on; difficulties will challenge you; and obstacles will stimulate you." (130:6.4)

159:5.9 Jesus required his followers to react positively and aggressively to every life situation. The turning of the other cheek, or whatever act that may typify, demands initiative, necessitates vigorous, active, and courageous expression of the believer’s personality.

#88 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

This is why I think - response - is such a good word: because it suggests to me a decision made, in light of discernment and spiritually indwelt guidance, to life situations.

Responding - being response-able - is being active, not passive. Reaction seems passive in conparison. Responding seems more like being active in a progressive way.

Edited by Absonite, 18 December 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#89 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Response is okay. TUB calls it relational. All truth this side of Paradise is relational. If a personality is relating it is socializing. If a personality is socializing it is partaking in the power-personality synthesis of the Supreme.

56:10.13-16 The recognition of true relations implies a mind competent to discriminate between truth and error. The bestowal Spirit of Truth which invests the human minds of Urantia is unerringly responsive to truth—the living spirit relationship of all things and all beings as they are co-ordinated in the eternal ascent Godward.

Every impulse of every electron, thought, or spirit is an acting unit in the whole universe. Only sin is isolated and evil gravity resisting on the mental and spiritual levels. The universe is a whole; no thing or being exists or lives in isolation. Self-realization is potentially evil if it is antisocial. It is literally true: “No man lives by himself.” Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification. Said Jesus: He who would be greatest among you, let him become server of all.”

Even truth, beauty, and goodness—man’s intellectual approach to the universe of mind, matter, and spirit—must be combined into one unified concept of a divine and supreme ideal. As mortal personality unifies the human experience with matter, mind, and spirit, so does this divine and supreme ideal become power-unified in Supremacy and then personalized as a God of fatherly love.

All insight into the relations of the parts to any given whole requires an understanding grasp of the relation of all parts to that whole; and in the universe this means the relation of created parts to the Creative Whole. Deity thus becomes the transcendental, even the infinite, goal of universal and eternal attainment.

#90 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yes Bonita.....what's the difference between patience and procrastination? We must learn the distinction. I too have witnessed many "pressing" issues resolve themselves better than by any reaction or perhaps even action might have done so. We've discussed anxiety elsewhere and its negative influence, whereby we worry about many things which never occur. And too often we act to prevent what isn't going to occur anyway and thereby waste time and energy focused on the wrong "potentials". Often such worries are "me" focused too. So, from fear we focus on the wrong thing and act to prevent that which probably won't occur to protect or benefit ourself....in baseball, that's 3 strikes + a foul ball.

One might conclude that if all evil, sin, and iniquity have no substance or value in universe reality, then everything else DOES have importance and connectivity....all of everything has a meaning and value to discern. And everything around us in material form represents a form of pattern or interconnection which reflects universe realities at many levels. From another thread I read more than one person claim that education and credentials are not important (Louis' post was funny...letters behind your name means you are charged more....the Mercedes "surcharge" - I have actually done this - and I too disdain feighned and unearned titles of puffery). We are provided curiosity, intuition, and a processor for a reason, eh? We will not or should not ever stop learning. Expertise is education + experience which eventuates into wisdom given sufficient time. Those with reason must sharpen the reason saw and knowledge adds to the ability to reason, eh? Funny that the more ignorant the individual (not stupid, ignorant/uneducated), the more fearful, hateful, prideful, prejudiced, and self focused that person tends to be (sorry for the generality but this is generally true). Even funnier that great IQs often come with practical dysfuntionality. Both those who do not learn or do so slowly and those who can soak knowledge like a paper towel with a super processor both seem afflicted.

I don't come from a family of means or great education....but knowledge, skill, and experience are revered and my folk are "thumpers" so I was taught to lower my head to no one while I never dared looked down on anyone either. Ignorance lacks informational/data context which shrinks perspective, while the brilliant are often blinded to perspective and relationship perception by context/data overload. Most of humanity lies within the sweet spot but so many seem to not even be aware of that and those around them or dismiss everything as irrelevant if not a threat or opportunity for self. I'm beginning to understand how much "remedial" education will be required of me and most of my fellows as awareness, reason, discernment of meaning and value and potential, motivation, and identification of the superior among all possibilities is rarely mastered by local mortals. All of these, and more, are requried for the "unification" of our being before we can "become" much more than a lump of potential.

And then there is the pace of the day which too often precludes attention and awareness of others, situations, and interaction potentials....we hurry past what Father has brought to us or us to for recognition, contemplation, and relationship. Add hustle and bustle to ignorance, prejudice, and fear/anger/impatience....what a poisen cocktail we have constructed for our distracted amusement, none of which opens the door of the mind to spirit and progress. Eventually, we will be paired with another ascender and each will have a pair of seraphim and each will have the TA and the Supreme. Between now and finality, we must learn not only how to operate our own mind effectively but then learn to harmonize that with another intimately (relates to the sex rehab thread with the Material Sons and Daughters) and within an entire team - 2 morontia minds, 2 TAs, 4 seraphim, the Supreme....and the partridge in the pear tree probably!! We must graduate many classrooms to acquire what will be needed to learn to achieve fusion and finality.

I have begun by learning to see and hear that which is in front of me and to look for what there is to learn there, now. Then take a step and look again. And again. It doesn't take but a step or two to engage life in new ways into new meanings and outcomes. The learned who also act lead the rest of us forward or leave us behind. May we be wise enough to seek knowledge....if not a Mercedes! ;)
Peace be upon you."

#91 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

p2095:4 196:3.17 Every time man makes a reflective moral choice, he immediately experiences a new divine invasion of his soul.

p1210:1 110:6.6 Every decision you make either impedes or facilitates the function of the Adjuster; likewise do these very decisions determine your advancement in the circles of human achievement. It is true that the supremacy of a decision, its crisis relationship, has a great deal to do with its circle-making influence; nevertheless, numbers of decisions, frequent repetitions, persistent repetitions, are also essential to the habit-forming certainty of such reactions.

These are two very important quotes. For me, it's all about making life a perpetual prayer, to live life as in the constant presence of God. I talk everything over with God, share everything with him and dedicate everything to him. How can I go wrong? Granted, my gifts to God are about akin to the macaroni Christmas trees my kids gave me when they were four which I still adore twenty years later and still put out with my finest things every year. I'm sure every effort of mine is equally cherished by God. We'll laugh together about my crude efforts later. Right now, it's all good . . . paste, glitter and finger paints . . . I work with what I have every moment of every day towards totally loyal living.

p435:6 39:4.13 It is not so much what you learn in this first life; it is the experience of living this life that is important. Even the work of this world, paramount though it is, is not nearly so important as the way in which you do this work.

#92 Geoff

Geoff

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Innovation

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

To my way of thinking, "doing God's will" is living to your own highest possible standard. For years I sought guidance from my TA but finally realized that it was just making each thought/choice/action something that I would not later regret.

#93 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Your own highest possible standard is often just your conscience, which is not the same as the Thought Adjuster.

p1005:02 Conscience, untaught by experience and unaided by reason, never has been, and never can be, a safe and unerring guide to human conduct. Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul. It is merely the sum total of the moral and ethical content of the mores of any current stage of existence; it simply represents the humanly conceived ideal of reaction in any given set of circumstances.

p1207:7 110:5.1 Do not confuse and confound the mission and influence of the Adjuster with what is commonly called conscience; they are not directly related. Conscience is a human and purely psychic reaction. It is not to be despised, but it is hardly the voice of God to the soul, which indeed the Adjuster's would be if such a voice could be heard. Conscience, rightly, admonishes you to do right; but the Adjuster, in addition, endeavors to tell you what truly is right; that is, when and as you are able to perceive the Monitor's leading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users