• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Regarding Alina's post on arrogance - another trap that Judas demonstrated so well, besides the aforementioned "expectation and disappointment" issues is the effect of feeling "entitled" or "elevated" - the pride force. I believe his expectation of the messiah included his own elevated status as a member of the "royal" court to come. Seems this one affected most of the apostles but somehow only Judas could not lay it aside at the end of Jesus mission here. I wonder if the gift of the Spirit of Truth could have saved his mortality with new understanding had he not destroyed his own flesh in depression?

One of the beauties of TUB's teachings - truth is progressive and experiential so we should NEVER believe or "expect" we have THE truth in hand and allow our concepts and perspective to become so static that we cannot bear new and greater truth to come. When we cling to what we "know" as absolute, we cannot learn further and integrate truth to come with that known. This releases us from the search for the "holy grail" if you will. We never cease to enlarge truth throughout the ascendent career. We are only obligated to live the truth we know....not ALL truth which will take some time longer, eh? Peace.
Peace be upon you."

#62 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

106:9.11 Sooner or later all universe personalities begin to realize that the final quest of eternity is the endless exploration of infinity, the never-ending voyage of discovery into the absoluteness of the First Source and Center. Sooner or later we all become aware that all creature growth is proportional to Father identification. We arrive at the understanding that living the will of God is the eternal passport to the endless possibility of infinity itself. Mortals will sometime realize that success in the quest of the Infinite is directly proportional to the achievement of Fatherlikeness, and that in this universe age the realities of the Father are revealed within the qualities of divinity. And these qualities of divinity are personally appropriated by universe creatures in the experience of living divinely, and to live divinely means actually to live the will of God.

I love, love, love this quote. The qualities of divinity can become possessions of the personality only by the experience of living divinely, and that means living the will of God. Divine living is a living love.

#63 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Me too I love that quote Bonita!
Doing the Will of the Father means "look more and more of Him who is perfect" -"Be perfect as the Father is"
Potentially we have the possibility of becoming beings "perfected" says Revelation.
Not perfect because these are the Sons born in Paradise.
To achieve this, we are meeting again on the issue of updating our potential.
Thus, no other, is a universal law
The progress in our spiritual growth and all its implications.
Obviously depends on our decision through the proper use of Free Will.
What issue of free will!! because we have the freedom bestowed by the Father, but how far is free and when it becomes something else?

Greetings,

Alina

#64 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Me too I love that quote Bonita!
Doing the Will of the Father means "look more and more of Him who is perfect" -"Be perfect as the Father is"
Potentially we have the possibility of becoming beings "perfected" says Revelation.
Not perfect because these are the Sons born in Paradise.
To achieve this, we are meeting again on the issue of updating our potential.
Thus, no other, is a universal law
The progress in our spiritual growth and all its implications.
Obviously depends on our decision through the proper use of Free Will.
What issue of free will!! because we have the freedom bestowed by the Father, but how far is free and when it becomes something else?

Hi all!

Some quotes about Free Will

(1301.6) 118:8.1 In the time-space creations, free will is hedged about with restraints, with limitations. Material-life evolution is first mechanical, then mind activated, and (after the bestowal of personality) it may become spirit directed. Organic evolution on the inhabited worlds is physically limited by the potentials of the original physical-life implantations of the Life Carriers.

(1301.7) 118:8.2 Mortal man is a machine, a living mechanism; his roots are truly in the physical world of energy. Many human reactions are mechanical in nature; much of life is machinelike. But man, a mechanism, is much more than a machine; he is mind endowed and spirit indwelt; and though he can never throughout his material life escape the chemical and electrical mechanics of his existence, he can increasingly learn how to subordinate this physical-life machine to the directive wisdom of experience by the process of consecrating the human mind to the execution of the spiritual urges of the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

(1301.8) 118:8.3 The spirit liberates, and the mechanism limits, the function of will. Imperfect choice, uncontrolled by mechanism, unidentified with spirit, is dangerous and unstable. Mechanical dominance insures stability at the expense of progress; spirit alliance liberates choice from the physical level and at the same time assures the divine stability produced by augmented universe insight and increased cosmic comprehension.

(1302.1) 118:8.4 The great danger that besets the creature is that, in achieving liberation from the fetters of the life mechanism, he will fail to compensate this loss of stability by effecting a harmonious working liaison with spirit. Creature choice, when relatively liberated from mechanical stability, may attempt further self-liberation independent of greater spirit identification.

Love

Alina

#65 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

I've been contemplating about the will of God a lot today.
I keep coming back to the simple explanation that it is to be perfect even as God is perfect.

#66 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I've been contemplating about the will of God a lot today.
I keep coming back to the simple explanation that it is to be perfect even as God is perfect.

• Another reader brought to my attention that it is not realistic as a human being to be perfect, and that we don't need to be perfect, if we concentrate on this we will be saddened by all our flaws. But what is important is that we are perfect-ing and that goodness will get us on the path of perfecting, and that we are by nature perfecting beings. Obviously though it would be nice to be perfect hahaha. But as tadpoles it is not likely to happen yet
1221.6) 111:5.5 Such a creature choice is not a surrender of will. It is a consecration of will, an expansion of will, a glorification of will, a perfecting of will; and such choosing raises the creature will from the level of temporal significance to that higher estate wherein the personality of the creature son communes with the personality of the spirit Father.

1221.7) 111:5.6 This choosing of the Father’s will is the spiritual finding of the spirit Father by mortal man, even though an age must pass before the creature son may actually stand in the factual presence of God on Paradise. This choosing does not so much consist in the negation of creature will — “Not my will but yours be done” — as it consists in the creature’s positive affirmation: “It is my will that your will be done.” And if this choice is made, sooner or later will the God-choosing son find inner union (fusion) with the indwelling God fragment, while this same perfecting son will find supreme personality satisfaction in the worship communion of the personality of man and the personality of his Maker, two personalities whose creative attributes have eternally joined in self-willed mutuality of expression — the birth of another eternal partnership of the will of man and the will of God.

Edited by -Scott-, 14 December 2012 - 12:11 PM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#67 Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Pike aka Hrvoje Pajk

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Travel, Photography, Urantia book, science, hiking, nature

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I can call myself with lot of names but perfect is the last.
Even when I think that finally I am walking on good path to become like the Father then I do something really humanly and stupid and realize that I realllllly need to work even more and more.

But one thing comforts me.
That is knowing that no matter what He is always by my side. Knowing that I can always exchange my faulty mind for mind of Jesus.
One day after I finally reach the Isle of Paradise I will, hopefully, reach the status of being perfect, just as Father is perfect.

Until then, I am satisfied with the fact that when I mess up I realize it immediately and try it to make it right.
Peace be upon you

#68 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I honestly don't understand how perfecting is not the process for being perfect.

#69 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Fusion with the Adjuster is a perfection of will to do the will of god, so I suppose in that sense we attain perfection. But along the way there we don't have to be perfect, if we did than we would get fustrated with all of our flaws.

Edited by -Scott-, 15 December 2012 - 11:10 PM.

If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#70 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Fusion with the Adjuster is a perfection of will to do the will of god, so I suppose in that sense we attain perfection.

There are many levels of perfection to attain. Even when we reach Havona, we have only attained perfection of purpose. There is still more perfection to be attained after that . . . and after that . . . and after that . . .

26:4.13-14 When, through and by the ministry of all the helper hosts of the universal scheme of survival, you are finally deposited on the receiving world of Havona, you arrive with only one sort of perfection - perfection of purpose. Your purpose has been thoroughly proved; your faith has been tested. You are known to be disappointment proof. Not even the failure to discern the Universal Father can shake the faith or seriously disturb the trust of an ascendant mortal who has passed through the experience that all must traverse in order to attain the perfect spheres of Havona. By the time you reach Havona, your sincerity has become sublime. Perfection of purpose and divinity of desire, with steadfastness of faith, have secured your entrance to the settled abodes of eternity; your deliverance from the uncertainties of time is full and complete; and now must you come face to face with the problems of Havona and the immensities of Paradise, to meet which you have so long been in training in the experiential epochs of time on the world schools of space.
Faith has won for the ascendant pilgrim a perfection of purpose which admits the children of time to the portals of eternity. Now must the pilgrim helpers begin the work of developing that perfection of understanding and that technique of comprehension which are so indispensable to Paradise perfection of personality.

#71 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think what is fustrating for some people is that they think that all the quotes in the urantia book just apply to this life. Many quotes even by Jesus apply not only to this life but to the life the after. The life after this is an extension of this life.

Its the same with those who do not bear spiritual fruit will be cut away quote. Well many people do not bear spiritual fruit in this life, yet they are given a second chance on the mansion worlds to bear spiritual fruit.

#72 Nelson G

Nelson G

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Pianos fast cars and airplanes.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think what is fustrating for some people is that they think that all the quotes in the urantia book just apply to this life. Many quotes even by Jesus apply not only to this life but to the life the after. The life after this is an extension of this life.

In addition I find that the quotes from Jesus' teachings apply to persons on all worlds within his creation. The concept of God as a Father, Sonship with him and brotherhood among the sons is truely universal.
Life often gives us our greatest gifts brilliantly disguised as our worst nightmares.

#73 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Doing the will of God - fulfilling the instruction to be perfect even as God is perfect, by engaging the process of perfecting - also is the reality of true worship (1:1.2)

#74 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, sustainable agriculture/micro-farming, history, philosophy, behavioral psych, economics (quit laughing), the blues, learning from children.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

The quote on "the perfection of purpose" must then also be, as Bonita points out, the only achievement worthy of any pilgrim, even mortal pilgrims. Too many of us are far too attached to perfection of "outcome" or believe we are skilled at recognizing the point of engagement worthy of our efforts (we can find the problems we believe are most importantn) but both of these desires/behaviors is evil/error. For both that which needs Father's hand and the outcomes of our individual and combined efforts are way above our pay grade, rank, and capabilities and both concerns of any believer inherently dilute the pilgrim's progress and effect on others both. We are Father's tools or the raw materials in preparation to become tools. It is not up to us this side of finality to determine priorities or manage results. So the conduit and the tool analogies are accurate up to a point. But of course it is more complicated....for we are more than material, conduit, or tool....we have volition and intuition and personal revelation and other "agents" of the Father's hand which combine IN-EXPERIENCE to allow for the individual's participation and effectiveness within that participation in the Father's will.

Knowing Father's will is easy....it is for our will to be dedicated to His. But beyond this certainty lies uncertainties and frustrations and disappointments if we become attached to knowing the this and that of any particular strategy within Father's will and the impatience that leads to needing to know or see or control the outcomes. If the believer can let go of this "need-to-know" and just focus on "becoming", as Absonite points out above, we should become much greater conduit-tool-personalities in both force and effect FOR Father's hand, purpose, plan, process, and outcomes. I am a big fan of both Van and Amadon for this reason primarily - their persistance was only possible for that time span due to this reality.....they trusted Father to work out His way through them and did so with resolve, patience, and a valiant faith in their purpose and Father's results. They were a model for Adam and Eve.....whose impatient need to accelerate results showed a lack of such faith and a humanistic need to control and know the will of Father in detrimental ways to the outcome desired.

This is no call to do nothing....it is a call to do more and worry less about the results. We will be better by this perspective and we will choose better. God will bring us to that and those or He will bring that and those to us if the conduit is open, the tool is well formed, and the creative personality is unconcerned by results. Or so is my opinion. Perfection of purpose is not perfection of function and only Father can unite the two, over time and within His process of perfecting those who are becoming.

Edited by Bradly aka/fanofVan, 17 December 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Peace be upon you."

#75 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

The first step I am learning consciously (and repeatedly) make along the path of perfecting is to allow - yes, allow - my Fragment to pilot my actions.

That is not easy. And this is where the practice of prayer comes in for me: formally devoting time for working on consciously granting such allowance - so that I can "get in the habit" of, trigger, and sustain doing so.

#76 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

In my mind, this topic intersects nicely with the "Superior vs. Inferior" thread here. I have come to view that issue differently. Mortal mind tends to equate superior and inferior with good and bad, and does so incorrectly. For within 2 bad choices is a superior and inferior choice, and within 2 good choices the same applies. Chess is a good example: at the opening there are over 12 moves from which to choose (20 as i count on first move), but not all are equally superior. By the 10th play, there are now over 24 moves available (probably closer to 50) but most are new and many more are gone, and the superior vs. inferior gets more interesting and consequential and therefor, more difficult. Later, there may only be 2 or 3 choices but the contrast between superior and inferior is even greater....if no more apparent. Every choice made changes the dynamic of choices to come amidst a progressive flux of change.

We are not to choose between good and bad....or not for long. We are to discern the results of our choices and to contemplate the inherent unexpected consequences that may and do result. Consequence is neither good nor bad necesarily - it is but a result of choice. Free will is consquential. The superior choice leads to superior results compared to the alternatives under consideration. Our training in time and choice is manifold but this learning to choose based on discernment between superior and inferior and our perspective of experience on the rippling effect of consequences (responses to actions) never ends.

This is why it is foolish to be paralyzed by fear or concern about knowing the right and wrong....for it is something to be learned by experience and error. The first step is to trust Father to know what HE is doing (He does) and to place all consequences in His hands. If we then act within such faith, we will learn to see and recognize the consequences of choice and how to RESPOND to that which happens by choice, rather than trying to control what happens. The better we choose, the better we choose our response to new choices by learning to make superior choices every day in every situation and circumstance. We fear less. We gain confidence. We choose even better thereby. And our life shifts profoundly away from anxiety and doubts to clarity and purpose.....the purpose of becoming.....eternal choosers from among many diverse options in an environment of change and progression.

A prayerful and contemplative awareness of that constant stream of superior and inferior choices will change our view and our experience of our world and our life. We are too quick to act without seeing what's what and too quick to choose without considering the consequences....especially to others. That which serves us best serves others best too (you can say that backwards if you prefer but the truth of it is the same either way). If we are a tool of Father's being formed (becoming) and if our destiny as finaliters is eternal service in His creation, this learning to do Father's will by applying discernment within our free will to optimize outcome potentials within universe patterns of consequences is important to learn as soon as we are able. For those from our home, our destiny is Agondontor for we have chosen Him from within, and without external evidence to validate the experience of our choice. All pilgrims will languish in progress until we learn to act in faith with confidence that Father will handle the outcomes, and in such faith to improve our choosing once we are educated by experience to make the superior choice within every choice to come with less and less error and more and more assurance and validation. Or so I am thinking......

Edited by Bradly aka/fanofVan, 17 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Peace be upon you."

#77 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

How exactly is choosing options - based upon discerning circumstances and appropriate behavior for dealing with them - not the same as trying to control what happens?

#78 Bradly aka/fanofVan

Bradly aka/fanofVan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thought that would come up. It's a matter of order and experience. To learn the consequence potentials of choice, one must first experience choosing. And always it will be true that the consequences are Father's, not ours. But it is important to learn to discern, eh? We learn to make fewer errors by learning to discern the superior from the inferior. We improve our choosing by the experience of it. But what is the motive for choice? To control the outcome or to trust that to Father while witnessing the outworkings of our choices to learn therefrom? For we cannot "control" outcomes, only the choosing is ours....ever. The pattern of consequence is not ours to manage or manipulate but it is ours to learn about and improve the process of choosing more wisely based on more experience.

I understand the apparent contradiction. Perhaps I am wrong? Or others can explain it better? I am not attempting to promote prediction any more than control but, rather, the understanding of the relationship between motives, actions, and the consequences inherent within both to our progress and our effectiveness. Absonite - you are far more articulate and perceptive than I (I sincerely mean that, no sarcasm) so maybe you could address it more clearly yourself. My view is that relinquishing control of outcome improves the important function of free will choice.
Peace be upon you."

#79 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I asked the question not to quiz (as if I already know the answer) - because this is an issue that also is a bear for me to wrestle with here.

I get what you're saying here about focusing on the action and leaving the results to God. However, that brings up the point of how not to end up behaving like a blind bull in a china shop. The answer to that seems to be: well, don't ignore what's going on around you - carefully discern what's happening, then choose appropriate behaviors in light of such careful discernment. But then that runs head first into the issue of control.

The only way out of this conundrum that I can see is to give it all up to God, by way of allowing the Fragment pilot all action made. Then, both the cause and the effect of the action are in God's hands. Of course, for simple navigation purposes, one still has to be aware of circumstances and the situations they compose - but just enough there to then turn to the Fragment and await God's will for how to best engage the situation.

Yet, even that solution, brings up the question of where and when the line is crossed, as well as the attendant murky waters regarding motives/intentions and freedom to choose personal goals.

Edited by Absonite, 17 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#80 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

However, that brings up the point of how not to end up behaving like a blind bull in a china shop. The answer to that seems to be: well, don't ignore what's going on around you - carefully discern what's happening, then choose appropriate behaviors in light of such careful discernment. But then that runs head first into the issue of control.

IMO it is impossible to not be a bull in a china without finding our inner heart and I don't mean that poetically but literally. The u.b seems to indicate that this is where gods ministry is and that our many pet evils can block our own self from discovering this heart.

Some people think, that they can be good just by choosing to be good. The old song goes "and be good for goodness sake". If literally discover god within our heart we can "be good for gods sake". IMO that is where real goodness come from. I believe there is this a popular illusion on our world that goodness can just manifest from within our consciousness without gods ministry.

Edited by -Scott-, 17 December 2012 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users