Martin Culligan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was thinking the other day about Truth, and about how Jesus said

"The Truth shall set you free"

Now people can interpret Truth whatever way they want. Truth can be so vague and personal it can be hard for an outside observer to see if they are hitting it on the head. But when we encounter problems in our life, we can hide from it, whether it be emotional, mental or spiritual, even social, but when we look at our problems we face, honestly and sincerely and see it for what it really is, the "truth of the situation"

It is the truth that sets us free and restores dignity and self respect when exercised

I think of what Rodan said

160:1.8 The wise and effective solution of any problem demands that the mind shall be free from bias, passion, and all other purely personal prejudices which might interfere with the disinterested survey of the actual factors that go to make up the problem presenting itself for solution. The solution of life problems requires courage and sincerity. Only honest and brave individuals are able to follow valiantly through the perplexing and confusing maze of living to where the logic of a fearless mind may lead.

We can see here that bias, passion, and all other purely personal prejudices which might interfere with the disinterested survey of the actual factors that go to make up the problem presenting itself for solution.

These things interfere with our efforts when trying to find truth. As they say, only a honest soul, sincere of heart, who truly want to hit the root of the problem will find this truth and once found, most importantly exercise it .

When they say "By their fruits you will know them" When we excercise the truths we find in life, we discover there fruits. A Truth about something like, true love, patience, tolerance and forgiveness.

We do not excercise these things mindlessly, it is because it has a meaning and value known to you. Because you excercised these things and found there meanings through your sincere efforts.

Only honest and brave individuals are able to follow valiantly through the perplexing and confusing maze of living to where the logic of a fearless mind may lead.

What do you think?

#2 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

When man searches for truth, he pursues the divinely real. (p42:5 2:7.4)

The "divinely real" is part of personal religious experience and is always a revelation. Revelation is always due to the work of the Adjuster within a willing mind, and it is the Adjuster who attaches the feeling of reality to man's insight of such revelation. The more truth you experience as a divine reality, the more truth you are.

Things are time conditioned, but truth is timeless. The more truth you know, the more truth you are, the more of the past you can understand and of the future you can comprehend. (118:3.2)

#3 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Only honest and brave individuals are able to follow valiantly through the perplexing and confusing maze of living to where the logic of a fearless mind may lead.

What do you think?

Martin I think that some of what you say, is linked to the human struggles of life:

(51.4) 3:5.5 The uncertainties of life and the vicissitudes of existence do not in any manner
contradict the concept of the universal sovereignty of God. All evolutionary creature life is beset by certain inevitabilities.
Consider the following:

(51.5) 3:5.6 1. Is courage — strength of character — desirable? Then must man be reared
in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to
disappointments.

(51.6) 3:5.7 2. Is altruism — service of one’s fellows — desirable? Then must life
experience provide for encountering situations of social inequality.

(51.7) 3:5.8 3. Is hope — the grandeur of trust — desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

(51.8) 3:5.9 4. Is faith — the supreme assertion of human thought — desirable? Then must the mind of man find itself in that troublesome predicament where it ever knows less than it can believe.

(51.9) 3:5.10 5. Is the love of truth and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

(51.10) 3:5.11 6. Is idealism — the approaching concept of the divine — desirable? Then must man struggle in an environment of relative goodness and beauty, surroundings stimulative of the irrepressible reach for better things.

(51.11) 3:5.12 7. Is loyalty — devotion to highest duty — desirable? Then must man carry on amid the possibilities of betrayal and desertion. The valor of devotion to duty consists in the implied danger of default.

(51.12) 3:5.13 8. Is unselfishness — the spirit of self-forgetfulness — desirable? Then
must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

(51.13) 3:5.14 9. Is pleasure — the satisfaction of happiness — desirable? Then must man live in a world where the alternative of pain and the likelihood of suffering are ever-present experiential possibilities.

Greetings,

Alina

#4 Martin Culligan

Martin Culligan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Cheers for the input Guys!

#5 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I was thinking the other day about Truth, and about how Jesus said

"The Truth shall set you free"

. . .

We do not excercise these things mindlessly, it is because it has a meaning and value known to you. Because you excercised these things and found there meanings through your sincere efforts.

What do you think?

Yes, it takes strenuous thinking about problem solving to find the personal meanings and personal values of having to go through a problem. The sun shines behind every cloud. Eventually the cloud wil pass. The question for me is: What can I learn from the cloud that passes by? More clouds, more opportunities. I say, bring them on! Effort achieves strength. And habits of problem solving strengthen. More and more truth is revealed when once you've really lived it, until the truth shall set you free.

What do you think "the truth shall set you free" means? Is it for the future "you" or for the "you" whom you are now?

All the best,
Meredith

#6 Martin Culligan

Martin Culligan

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new.”

#7 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

What do you think "the truth shall set you free" means? Is it for the future "you" or for the "you" whom you are now?

What future? When it comes to truth, there is only now. The Spirit of Truth came to set you free right now, not next Thursday!

52:5.4 The bestowal Son lives and dies for the spiritual uplift of the mortal races of a world. He establishes the “new and living way”; his life is an incarnation of Paradise truth in mortal flesh, that very truth — even the Spirit of Truth — in the knowledge of which men shall be free.
162:7.2 If my words abide in you and you are minded to do the will of my Father, then are you truly my disciples. You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

#8 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new.”

Martin's reference suggests to me that "the truth shall set you free" is a process. When you're 6 years old, you're not going to have as much knowledge of and experience with truth as you are going to have when you're 66. Stands to reason. There has to be a context to truth. A pond, so to speak. A tadpole can't be a frog until it gets there, but the frog has lived tadpoleness and knows the general hazzards of such a life.

Jesus knows all about this. Each one of us lives in a unique habitat - made unique because each of us has a unique personality - made unique due to one's life circumstances and experiences from the beginning - of your life and of my life. It is within the context of your life and my life the Spirit of Truth becomes manifest.

The joy of this outpoured spirit [Spirit of Truth] when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

Prayer did not bring the spirit on the day of Pentecost, but it did have much to do with determining the capacity of receptivity which characterized the individual believers. Prayer does not move the divine heart to liberality of bestowal, but it does so often dig out larger and deeper channels wherein the divine bestowals may flow to the hearts and souls of those who thus remember to maintain unbroken communion with their Maker through sincere prayer and true worship.

P. 2065; http://www.urantia.o...al-spirit-truth

All the best,
Meredith

#9 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Meredith I agree.

I think everyone knows what the truth is are looking at some time, this depends on some circumstances in which life takes place.
The truth is everywhere, certainly, but sometimes we need answer to a specific situation of our life,and to know something specific about it, related, obviously, with the Spirit of Truth.
I think the truth perceived by us is relative.
Therefore we do not always refer to the Absolute Truth but ,yes, the fragment we need to know.
Of course the "The Truth shall set you free", but step by step.

(1120.1)Knowledge is an eternal quest; always are you learning, but never are you able to arrive at the full knowledge of absolute truth.

Greetings,

Alina

Edited by Alina, 27 April 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#10 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Maybe it would be useful to define the word "free"?

#11 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Maybe it would be useful to define the word "free"?

Bonita,good question! :)
A quick response, I think that little by little we are feeling as free beings.
As the chains of ignorance are loosened, the picture is enlarged, until we can feel with great joy that we are Citizens of the Universe, Son of God!!!

(1796.4) 162:7.2 If my words abide in you and you are minded to do the will of my Father, then are you truly my disciples. You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. I know how you will answer me: We are the children of Abraham, and we are in bondage to none; how then shall we be made free? Even so, I do not speak of outward subjection to another’s rule; I refer to the liberties of the soul. Verily, verily, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the bond servant of sin. And you know that the bond servant is not likely to abide forever in the master’s house. You also know that the son does remain in his father’s house. If, therefore, the Son shall make you free, shall make you sons, you shall be free indeed

Alina

Edited by Alina, 27 April 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#12 Guest_Majestone_*

Guest_Majestone_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

If I may step in here for a minute....

There is a difference between "set" free, like uncaging a bird, and "made" free, like from the bondage of sin.
if one truly desires to be MADE free they should whole heartedly consecrate their choice to doing the Father's will.

If our will is to do the Father's will, every day, then we are truly "made" free by the divine spirit.

I would rather be made free to be as a "new born person" then "set" free to do whatever I chose, possibly to abuse liberty without license.

It takes a muture and wise "faith son of God" to do the will of our father after being "made" free to make better choices which will affect others in a more positive way.

#13 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I would rather be made free to be as a "new born person" then "set" free to do whatever I chose, possibly to abuse liberty without license.

Hello!

Majestone: And if a person is just "born of the Spirit"?
Freedom without license as you say, is not freedom and take another name; Is false

(613.5) 54:1.3 Liberty is a self-destroying technique of cosmic existence when its motivation is unintelligent, unconditioned, and uncontrolled. True liberty is progressively related to reality and is ever regardful of social equity, cosmic fairness, universe fraternity, and divine obligations.

Greetings,

Alina

Edited by Alina, 28 April 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#14 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm talking about spiritual freedom which is a gift as well as a state of mind free from the burden of guilt. To be a child of God is to inherit his kingdom, and when one is full of trust and confidence in a loving Father, unfettered by fear and anxiety, one is free, regardless of age or stage of growth, physical, mental or spiritual. “Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

141:5.1 I have come into the world to proclaim spiritual liberty to the end that mortals may be empowered to live individual lives of originality and freedom before God.
145:2.9 Then the Master portrayed that the Father in heaven, after man discerns this spiritual freedom, wills that his children on earth should begin that eternal ascent of the Paradise career which consists in the creature’s conscious response to the divine urge of the indwelling spirit to find the Creator, to know God and to seek to become like him.

Personality freedom is somewhat different, yet made possible by spiritual freedom; it is a progressive attainment earned by augmented trusts.

132:3.10 Universe progress is characterized by increasing personality freedom because it is associated with the progressive attainment of higher and higher levels of self-understanding and consequent voluntary self-restraint. The attainment of perfection of spiritual self-restraint equals completeness of universe freedom and personal liberty. Faith fosters and maintains man’s soul in the midst of the confusion of his early orientation in such a vast universe, whereas prayer becomes the great unifier of the various inspirations of the creative imagination and the faith urges of a soul trying to identify itself with the spirit ideals of the indwelling and associated divine presence.

And this is not to be confused with the concept of freedom of choice, also a gift of the Father, which plays a role in personality freedom.

#15 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

There is a difference between "set" free, like uncaging a bird, and "made" free, like from the bondage of sin.
if one truly desires to be MADE free they should whole heartedly consecrate their choice to doing the Father's will.

If our will is to do the Father's will, every day, then we are truly "made" free by the divine spirit.

I'm glad you stepped in Majestone.

I looked up "set free" and "made free" and it seems to me there is an overlap of meanings. The reference was previously used by Alina (thank you Alina!) on the truth shall make you free:

"If my words abide in you and you are minded to do the will of my Father, then are you truly my disciples. You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. I know how you will answer me: We are the children of Abraham, and we are in bondage to none; how then shall we be made free? Even so, I do not speak of outward subjection to another's rule; I refer to the liberties of the soul. Verily, verily, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the bond-servant of sin. And you know that the bondservant is not likely to abide forever in the master's house. You also know that the son does remain in his father's house. If, therefore, the Son shall make you free, shall make you sons, you shall be free indeed." P.1796 - §4

Jesus sets humans free to choose better ways of living and destroys the charm of sin and power of evil, among other things:

Jesus, by the power of his personal love for men, could break the hold of sin and evil. He thereby set men free to choose better ways of living. Jesus portrayed a deliverance from the past which in itself promised a triumph for the future. Forgiveness thus provided salvation. The beauty of divine love, once fully admitted to the human heart, forever destroys the charm of sin and the power of evil. P.2018 - §2

Jesus doen't want to formally cramp or destroy one's spiritual imagination by precise definitions, but rather does he suggest his meanings, though I think going forward in our study we are going to continue to strive for precise definitions because I think we want this sort of definitional certainty.

In the establishment of the only ceremony or sacrament associated with his whole life mission, Jesus took great pains to suggest his meanings rather than to commit himself to precise definitions. He did not wish to destroy the individual's concept of divine communion by establishing a precise form; neither did he desire to limit the believer's spiritual imagination by formally cramping it. He rather sought to set man's reborn soul free upon the joyous wings of a new and living spiritual liberty. P.1942 - §3

Going forward every generation will have a reintreptation of the teachings of Jesus, as the teachings are make new in the lives of faith-sons. To me this is very exciting and even though my study group has been meeting weekly for the past 21 years, it is always fresh, always new, when we gather to read the UB together! Something new and fresh turns up every single time we meet!

All the very best,
Meredith

#16 Guest_Majestone_*

Guest_Majestone_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thank you Meredith,

I suppose using an analogy-
When I was young my parents let me play in the yard, as a got a little older I could play in the neighborhood,
then eventually I was set completely free to live on my own.

Jesus makes us free to serve him and I see we are also set free to choose to follow the Spirit of Truth.

Maybe I am reading too much into this.

#17 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hi Majestone, all,

Jesus makes us free to serve him and I see we are also set free to choose to follow the Spirit of Truth.

I wonder if Jesus meant something more simple, more breathtaking.

"God is your Father, and religion--my gospel--is nothing more nor less than the believing recognition of the truth that you are his son." (141:4.2)

"God is your father".

Think how outrageous this must have sounded to those natives 2,000 years ago.

"the believing recognition of the truth"

What truth? "... that you are his son."

Ok, but why should this truth (this simple fact) be powerful enough to make us free? As Bonita raised, "free from what"? Well, if truth is a technique of "personality assurance" (1111.4) 101:5.14, what's the opposite of "personality assurance"? Fear? Anxiety?

As persons, the only thing I can imagine worth "fearing" is "to not be" a person. But Jesus revealed that the creator of the universe is our personal Father, and that He is personally deeply in love with each of us. Clearly, unless we choose "not to be", there is no way in eternity for an adjuster-betrothed person "not to be".

So what's left to fear? Surely, as persons, we have been set free?

Nigel

#18 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi Majestone, all,

I wonder if Jesus meant something more simple, more breathtaking.

"God is your father".

Think how outrageous this must have sounded to those natives 2,000 years ago.

"the believing recognition of the truth"

What truth? "... that you are his son."

Ok, but why should this truth (this simple fact) be powerful enough to make us free? As Bonita raised, "free from what"? Well, if truth is a technique of "personality assurance" (1111.4) 101:5.14, what's the opposite of "personality assurance"? Fear? Anxiety?

As persons, the only thing I can imagine worth "fearing" is "to not be" a person. But Jesus revealed that the creator of the universe is our personal Father, and that He is personally deeply in love with each of us. Clearly, unless we choose "not to be", there is no way in eternity for an adjuster-betrothed person "not to be".

So what's left to fear? Surely, as persons, we have been set free?

Nigel

Nigel, if I understood your question correctly, I think we are free through our free will.That is, if we choose to do the Will of the Father. If we recognize as their Son , then we feel that freedom at us, whatever happens outside, we feel that we are in the freedom that our Father has given us.This is neither more nor less than get the security of the relationship and not to be influenced by foreign ideas and far from our consciousness of God and Eternity.
If we decide we will not be free limited only circle attached to material things, our prejudices, fear ...and leave aside the divine spark within us and is who leads us and lights up to let go of everything that does not seem to genuine freedom.
Because that is the attainment of spiritual freedom.We can be locked, if you want prisoners between four walls, but also feel as free as a bird flying free loose in heaven.
Sure, it is not easy but not impossible.

Let me clarify, I'm not blown. .. :) Freedom is also important outside, but if it is within us, although
outside there is freedom of action and ideas, always will be partial expression.

(1232.3) 112:5.2 That which comes from the Father is like the Father eternal, and this is just as true of personality, which God gives by his own freewill choice, as it is of the divine Thought Adjuster, an actual fragment of God. Man’s personality is eternal but with regard to identity a conditioned eternal reality. Having appeared in response to the Father’s will, personality will attain Deity destiny, but man must choose whether or not he will be present at the attainment of such destiny. In default of such choice, personality attains experiential Deity directly, becoming a part of the Supreme Being. The cycle is foreordained, but man’s participation therein is optional, personal, and experiential.

Alina

Edited by Alina, 28 April 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#19 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Jesus said, "I have come into the world to proclaim spiritual liberty to the end that mortals may be empowered to live individual lives of originality and freedom before God."

We are born free, we do not have to earn our SPIRITUAL freedom. It is a gift given to all persons without conditions. Being able to accept this simple, yet profound, fact of reality seems to be one of the hardest things for humans to do. Why is that?

#20 Guest_Majestone_*

Guest_Majestone_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hi again everyone,

I know the UB says that our will is soveriegn. God does not do anything to us against our will.

We are free to choose Him and to cooperate with the Adjuster, to do our Father's will:

To do the will of the Father is to share one’s life with God, the giver of such life.

When man gives God all that he has then does God make that man more than he is. (We are free to give ourself to Him)

When man chooses to do the will of God he is giving the one and only true and valuable gift that he has to the heavenly Father.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users