• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donald beauchamp

donald beauchamp

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:music publisher (SOCAN); songwriter.composer-lyricist ; making myself available to Creative Mother Spirit for creative and spiritual collaboration("to DO something as well as BE something) CHEERS!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

Today, as a first posting, I'd like to extend a warm greeting and an invitation to those interested creative folks to contact me for potential collaborative efforts in realizing the long-form Performance/Production of a rockopera entitled MELCHIZEDECH ! So far, there have been 18 songs created and committed to this labour of love. The musical style does not exclude Rock, worldbeat, country/folk, or electronic/classical genres.

As the coordinating music publisher, I would welcome further submissions from Urantian creative types - whether your expertise is as an audio technician, video graphics designer, singer, producer/engineer, scriptwriter, songwriter, or indeed another administrative music publisher to help co-manage this intriguing work along its journey to audiences.

Think of the project as a multimedia cross between the film "The Man Who Fell To Earth"(starring David Bowie), the stageplay "Jesus Christ Superstar", and the modernist visual design of, for example, "The Wall" (as an audiorecording, film and later concert film performance at the Berlin Wall featuring diverse artists). If you feel drawn to find out more about this outreach and endeavor, please contact me directly at djb969@gmail.com or SKYPEphone me, donald.beauchamp for updated info.

I look forward to hearing how you may wish to contribute, and offer your personalized piece or two to this challenging jig-saw puzzle. Future featured performance revenues and sales of completed peripheral works are expected. Performances at UBook conferences and elsewhere might be able to assist URANTIA Foundation's fundraising for library placements, and assist donations to promoting The URANTIA Book worldwide.

I have been a URANTIA Book reader and study group coordinator (Montreal Anglophone readers-in 1985) and participant in the 5thEpochal Revelation since 1973. Now living in Alberta, CANADA, I've just joined this particular forum a few days ago.

I am happy to share with you that as a SOCAN music publisher and singer/songwriter, I have been often drawn to consider how music ( especially words&music as "tuneful syncopations") can enable the promotion for - and connection with - our 5th Epochal Revelation. What celestial musicians have whispered to influence the ears of our past terrestrial classical composers , I can only guess; Karlheinz Stockhausen ( compositions entitled "Havona," Edentia,"Orvonton", Urantia", "Michael's Farewell" et al); Jimi Hendrix ("..meet you on the next world..." third stone from the sun ) , Jerry Garcia, Elvis Presley(!), and the list goes on...Buffy St. Marie ("Up Where We Belong"), Pato Banton, and others' works.

In 2012 present-day and beyond, the UB readership and related fellowship of musicians have a greater responsibility than ever, I believe, to promote the living of a positive timeline and to offer lifelines to those who are struggling in their uncertainty. I do not think that this is a time for creative people to simply be "preaching to the choir". I am fully invested in that idea. I am hoping others will share that view. A popular view I hope.

Through this UAI forum, I hope and intend to share in -the ideas of cosmic brotherhood, fatherhood, compassion and mercy - with the singers, songwriters and musicians who are inspired UB readers. Whatever kind of positive energy source we can potentially evolve together remains to be seen.......and heard.

I was very fortunate, shortly after discovering the URANTIA Book (in 1973) to visit Stephen "Sandy" Garrick, at his home with his lovely wife and children in Toronto Ontario - and hear him sing and play piano. He was a great classically-trained pianist and professional music director throughout the 60s and 70s.
When I first met with him - after a marathon UB reading to complete the book for the first time, I was privvy to an amazing musical experience. Hearing Sandy sing verbatim entire paragraphs from the UB to his Broadway stylings at the piano, was a humbling and extraordinary experience - one that I will share with him again on some future morontia world, I hope. It seemed at the time to be a modern opera produced this side of Paradise. Here is some of what I heard LIVE........................... http://urantiabook.o...rick/index.html ......................

Singing out the URANTIA Book ! Wow ! I returned to Montreal with an inspired appreciation of music's spiritual dimensions and potentials. ("...a whole world to transform..."). It certainly rocked my world.

Today, as I reread the life and times of this marvelous historical character, who lived on Urantia and "... volunteered to do that which had been done only six times in all the history of Nebadon : to personalize on earth as a temporary man of the realm, to bestow himself as an emergency Son of world ministry." (UBook Page 1014D)
We know that Machiventa Melchizedech is still actively nurturing our planet. I simply ask the question, "Why not let this story of Machiventa Melchizedech inspire all sorts of our inspiring artistic efforts and collaborations, and, to paraphrase our UBook, by thereby skillfully using diverse technologies and allusions, to "foreshadow the Infinite" ? We understand that the work is important, the self is not. Delivering ourselves from inertia, who is up for the gig ?

#2 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hello Don,

Welcome to the forum!

Today, as I reread the life and times of this marvelous historical character, who lived on Urantia and "... volunteered to do that which had been done only six times in all the history of Nebadon : to personalize on earth as a temporary man of the realm, to bestow himself as an emergency Son of world ministry." (UBook Page 1014D)
We know that Machiventa Melchizedech is still actively nurturing our planet. I simply ask the question, "Why not let this story of Machiventa Melchizedech inspire all sorts of our inspiring artistic efforts and collaborations, and, to paraphrase our UBook, by thereby skillfully using diverse technologies and allusions, to "foreshadow the Infinite" ? We understand that the work is important, the self is not. Delivering ourselves from inertia, who is up for the gig ?

Speaking only for myself, I am not excited about the story of Melchizedek because, while his story represents the third epochal revealtion of truth on Urantia and is part of our planetary history dating back toapproximatedly 4,000 years ago, the revelation of Michael, the Son of God and Son of Man, supercedes the story of Melchizedek. I ask this: What's the big deal about Melchizedek? The really big story is the life of Jesus and how he lived it. This is the story that thrills me. It is the story of Jesus, his Spirit of Truth, that inspires artisiic efforts and collaborations in my opinion, not Melchizedek.

I do love the idea of putting the UB to music. I think you are on to something with this idea. But in this day and age (2012) in my opinion way too much attention on "Melchizedek" is going on.

All the best in your musical efforts,
Meredith

#3 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

What's the big deal about Melchizedek?

Considering the common root acknowledged by Muslims, Christians and Jews, the big deal may turn out to be Abraham.
Imagine if these three systems of faith were to discover the story of Machiventa kick-starting Abraham? :huh:

Just a thought,
Nigel

#4 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Welcome donald beauchamp!

Meredith;
Who was the Adjuster of Jesus? :mellow:
It is important for my Paper 114
1. The Sovereignty of Urantia

Honestly I'm attracted to Melchizedek and I have great respect them.

Greetings,

Alina

#5 donald beauchamp

donald beauchamp

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:music publisher (SOCAN); songwriter.composer-lyricist ; making myself available to Creative Mother Spirit for creative and spiritual collaboration("to DO something as well as BE something) CHEERS!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

[ Please correct me if I technically misfunction for replies to individual posts. First time responder here.., and I'm justing feeling my way around . Thanks folks.]

Talk about an interesting "kick-start" for discussion about this particularly historical entity, Machiventa Melchizedek. There might be some value and meaning to reconsider Nigel's recently posted note,regarding a certain Thought Adjuster,a Melchizedek called Machiventa, and Michael,Creator Son connectivity . At least as stated in the ending Paragraphs on Page 1024-1026 of our Big Blue Book.

I take special interest in anyone's future replies on this item. The described potential future role(s) for Machiventa and other "Major Characters" may stimulate more research on the matter, who can tell? I am quick to agree that the importance of respectfully showing Machiventa as an inspiring character, a historical subject model reflected in a treatment or script , with accompanying song&dance, will not be of interest to everybody, certainly.

So I will continue to be seeking out collaborations with others of like heart for the project. Please, eMAIL and/or skype Videocalls are welcomed internationally. Nice.

I do acknowledge that the Bottom line here and now is _ (bottom line)_ Just to say Thank you! for your replies. Quick,timely, friendly (as well as discerning) . As I enter pre-production level, I do appreciate and will appreciate your forum's thoughts. Helping ears to share in a valuable discernment for sure. . Thanks for being there and providing an interesting beginning concensus.

CHEERS!
djb969@gmail.com ; SKYPE : "donald.beauchamp"

FOR REFERENCE : I found the rereading of "Machiventa Melchizedek", Paper 93 intriguing. Listening to so much popular Press gloom&doom /new-age type messages and positionings online, perhaps the Production as it is presently envisioned might be welcomed. And knowing further re-consideration of the ramifications concerning Abraham's "priest of Salem" might really spark interesting discussion..... Works for me !

#6 donald beauchamp

donald beauchamp

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hi Alina,

Thanks for your open reply to my first post. I do appreciate that.

Further to your posted question;

UBook Page Page 1016A / " And this is the only Thought Adjuster who ever functioned in two minds on URANTIA , but both minds were divine as well as human"
...in reference to Machiventa Melchizedek's Thought Adjuster and that of... " the later Son of God, Michael, when he appeared on earth in the likeness of mortal flesh "

#7 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi Don.

One aspect of the music of the voice comes to my mind, as I try to imagine the production of your rock opera. Mind you, I enjoy music, but I am not a musician. The first aspect of the voice or voices concerns their beauty by trained and artful vocalization, but the second aspect I had in mind concerns presenting thematic material which is coded.

I mention this, because just last week I presented a musical concert in my area to both Urantia Book readers and to the general public. All of the five musicians are long-time UB readers and they are highly trained musicians. They presented original music and lyrics. The reviews were mixed.

I noticed that the flavor of the music at times was not uplifting, but seemed to me to sound down and out. This tone surprised me, considering their excellent training and music background. One piece was called the 139th Psalm, and it was awful, though the vocalist and the accompaniment were great. This is the aspect I am talking about - the lyrics. Do the lyrics contain code? I suggest, for example, that if the words "thought adjuster" are in the lyrics, then the lyrics contain code. I am of the opinion that code is to be avoided.

All the best,
Meredith

#8 donald beauchamp

donald beauchamp

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi again Meredith,

It is always disappointing to have one's personal high expectations regarding an artistic work quashed . Whether it be as a result of mediocre or uninspired content skillfully-performed, or the fact that the meaning of the work does not offer value to you, the listener, is always regrettable. I guess it's just the idea of "Fact/meaning/value...." as expressed in the Papers.
But technically, at least, you achieved a common goal of arranging a musical concert and provided an occasion where those musicians' talents could shine, and reach an audience - if not the content. They, certainly, are grateful for having been given that opportunity. And, apart from your personal negative critique, the musicians' performance may even have genuinely touched many other hearts in the audience.

Regarding your posting " ...This is the aspect I am talking about - the lyrics. Do the lyrics contain code? I suggest, for example, that if the words "thought adjuster" are in the lyrics, then the lyrics contain code. I am of the opinion that code is to be avoided.

I needed some clarity before replying to your question, so I referenced a dictionary online and found, among other definitions of "code" the following;
" a. A system of signals used to represent letters or numbers in transmitting messages.

b. A system of symbols, letters, or words given certain arbitrary meanings, used for transmitting messages requiring secrecy or brevity."

Whenever we consider the act of freely expressing ourselves, artistic expression included, this would infer, by definition, that a "code" is a basic component of any sort of Expression. "Code" then can be interpreted quite simply as one component of our (artists included) palette for expression. Like it or not, any expressionful communication or transmission of any kind would inherently contain code. How could we avoid the fact?

However, if you are genuinely sensitive to this long-form musical work's potential usage of UBook terminology as lyrical content, I can only ask your patience and future fair consideration of the illustrated libretto for MELCHIZEDEK ! As of this moment, there is no specific references or mention of any "coded" URANTIA Book terms. Other than "love" , "compassion" , "soul" and "truth" of course. (Three of the song titles even include ; RADIATING LOVE ; COMPASSION ; and "OH YESHUA" , copyright SOCAN 2012/ Flirting Angel Music.)

"Only a light hand should rock the cradle". Peace.

PS. "I do love the idea of putting the UB to music. I think you are on to something with this idea. But in this day and age (2012) in my opinion way too much attention on "Melchizedek" is going on." Meredith, I really don't comprehend your meaning, here. Do the italics you placed around the name Melchizedek suggest you are referring to something else? "the ills of Popular culture" perhaps ? or something else again? I only wish that there would be more considered attention drawn to the narration of Paper 93, Page 1014-1026.
Whatever your intended meaning, discussion continues, and with that, more clarity and specifity of intentions. Thank you.

#9 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

It is always disappointing to have one's personal high expectations regarding an artistic work quashed . Whether it be as a result of mediocre or uninspired content skillfully-performed, or the fact that the meaning of the work does not offer value to you, the listener, is always regrettable. I guess it's just the idea of "Fact/meaning/value...." as expressed in the Papers.
But technically, at least, you achieved a common goal of arranging a musical concert and provided an occasion where those musicians' talents could shine, and reach an audience - if not the content. They, certainly, are grateful for having been given that opportunity. And, apart from your personal negative critique, the musicians' performance may even have genuinely touched many other hearts in the audience.

Hi Don,

Yes, the musician's talents did shine, and the audience received whatever benefit they were able to receive, according to their own desserts. Perhaps I am more critical because I was the organizer of the occasion, and more sensitive to feedback and the after thoughts of the audience. The musicians reported the audience was more interactive than at a previous and recent concert in another area. One factor I did not mention to you concerns the composition of performers, i.e., they are not a troupe, but rather individual musicians who want to make music together. Or to put it another way, they are not a perfoming group - a group who rehearses frequently as a group. They simply love to get together to make music!

However, if you are genuinely sensitive to this long-form musical work's potential usage of UBook terminology as lyrical content, I can only ask your patience and future fair consideration of the illustrated libretto for MELCHIZEDEK ! As of this moment, there is no specific references or mention of any "coded" URANTIA Book terms. Other than "love" , "compassion" , "soul" and "truth" of course. (Three of the song titles even include ; RADIATING LOVE ; COMPASSION ; and "OH YESHUA" , copyright SOCAN 2012/ Flirting Angel Music.)

I am patient. I think you do know to what I refer when I say "code" or coded. Jesus used parables to convey his teachings, thereby giving his hearers opportunity to receive truth to the capacity of their receptivity: As he says in part:

Jesus introduced the evening's conference by saying: "My beloved, you must always make a difference in teaching so as to suit your presentation of truth to the minds and hearts before you. When you stand before a multitude of varying intellects and temperaments, you cannot speak different words for each class of hearers, but you can tell a story to convey your teaching; and each group, even each individual, will be able to make his own interpretation of your parable in accordance with his own intellectual and spiritual endowments. You are to let your light shine but do so with wisdom and discretion. No man, when he lights a lamp, covers it up with a vessel or puts it under the bed; he puts his lamp on a stand where all can behold the light. Let me tell you that nothing is hid in the kingdom of heaven which shall not be made manifest; neither are there any secrets which shall not ultimately be made known. Eventually, all these things shall come to light. Think not only of the multitudes and how they hear the truth; take heed also to yourselves how you hear. Remember that I have many times told you: To him who has shall be given more, while from him who has not shall be taken away even that which he thinks he has." P.1692 - §0; http://www.urantia.o...eaching-seaside

PS. "I do love the idea of putting the UB to music. I think you are on to something with this idea. But in this day and age (2012) in my opinion way too much attention on "Melchizedek" is going on." Meredith, I really don't comprehend your meaning, here. Do the italics you placed around the name Melchizedek suggest you are referring to something else? "the ills of Popular culture" perhaps ? or something else again? I only wish that there would be more considered attention drawn to the narration of Paper 93, Page 1014-1026.
Whatever your intended meaning, discussion continues, and with that, more clarity and specifity of intentions. Thank you.

I can tell you I am not referring to PAPER 93, "Machiventa, Melchizedek," but rather to the groups of UB readers who believe they are receiving extraneous messages from a so-called "Melchizedek".

All the best,
Meredith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users