#41 Alina

Alina

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:*

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

The authors do talk about creating new slogans for a benign cult, one based in Jesus' teachings. Based on those quotes, a few readers have already started a "Spiritual Fellowship", presumably to get out in front.`

Jesus came to bring us the good news that God is our Father and all men our brothers, but the bottom line is that to fulfill his will and that of our Father, He brought the Religion of the Spirit for all humanity, for all beings who wish to do the Father's Will.

(1629.5) 145:2.4 ... As a group, you are indeed the children of Israel, but as individuals, each one of you is a child of God. I have come, not to reveal the Father to the children of Israel, but rather to bring this knowledge of God and the revelation of his love and mercy to the individual believer as a genuine personal experience. The prophets have all taught you that Yahweh cares for his people, that God loves Israel. But I have come among you to proclaim a greater truth, one which many of the later prophets also grasped, that God loves you — every one of you — as individuals. All these generations have you had a national or racial religion; now have I come to give you a personal religion.

(1630.1) 145:2.5 “But even this is not a new idea. Many of the spiritually minded among you have known this truth, inasmuch as some of the prophets have so instructed you.

He came to proclaim a new religion,which is not a religion how today it given to this meaning , but a personal religion based directly in the fellowship with our spirit.

(1729.7) 155:5.12 ... a religion which is not a religion in the present-day meaning of that word, a religion that makes its chief appeal to the divine spirit of my Father which resides in the mind of man; a religion which shall derive its authority from the fruits of its acceptance that will so certainly appear in the personal experience of all who really and truly become believers in the truths of this higher spiritual communion.”

For that has been us delivered the Fifth Revelation: The Urantia Book
To give us the opportunity to know true teachings, but not to become a new religion, because it would be back against its own teachings.I think it would be like not having understood once the mandate of Jesus
The most of which are still waiting.

(1630.4) 145:2.8 “No more should you fear that God will punish a nation for the sin of an individual; neither will the Father in heaven punish one of his believing children for the sins of a nation, albeit the individual member of any family must often suffer the material consequences of family mistakes and group transgressions. Do you not realize that the hope of a better nation — or a better world — is bound up in the progress and enlightenment of the individual?”

Greetings,

Alina

Edited by Alina, 27 February 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#42 rebecca

rebecca

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

“Divine truth is living, dynamic, growing, expanding, and unfolding always in the present, achieving new expression in each generation."

I am finding that this is an issue. Achieving NEW expression. Every time i have tried to express what i have spent time contemplating I am shut down. Not expanded with or bought into discussion, just politely replied to, ignored or given a rap on the knuckles for even mentioning. Especially as i dont give "quotes" or exact passages that the thoughts came from. Christianity does not own the rights, this book makes that clear, how many of you have looked into other religious texts since reading this? Or tried to find truth in other areas now that we know to trust the Spirit of Truth that is guiding us to the big Love? Chakra systems, Crystals, Energy understandings, cell structure and growth?
I am becoming very discouraged by the closed mindedness of people who profess to be truth seekers.
It is said that forward thinking peoples will help bring new light. I don't think anyone is ready for new light to be shed or contemplated on yet. Christ Michael in whos being we exist, is to us here and now the Spirit of Truth that will lead us to LOVE.

#43 Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*

Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

. . . .
I, myself, am a NONE. I gave up organized religion about 8 years ago. I still operate within its outer circles but refuse to marry myself to any one format of belief. I find that it is impossible for me to commit wholeheartedly to any one religion. But what I do now recognize . . . and only because of TUB, quite frankly . . . is that it is all about unity, not uniformity. Therefore, I feel very comfortable visiting churches and fellowshipping with various church-goers within their spheres, without committing myself to think as they think or believe as they believe. Does that make sense? I'm a NONE that is embracing ALL the unifying features of religion rather than focusing on the uniformity of religion. I love religion in all its forms, but that doesn't mean that I have to live anyone else's religion. I have my own, thank-you very much.
. . . .

Bonita:
If you define yourself as a NONE, which by the way was not that well defined in the documentation presented earlier but, generally understood, why would you interject yourself into “various church-goers within their spheres” than “When in Rome,...” as a polite visitor not intent to “… do as the Romans do.” This actually doesn’t make much sense, at least in the context of your statements above.

Why would you not look to associate yourself with other NONE’s, since you seem to define yourself to this type of fellowship? How can NONE embrace ALL?

I would go so far as to say that those who you interact with-in their religion, would not wise that a visitor actually live their religion unless they were sincere?

#44 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

How can NONE embrace ALL?

Quite easily if you identify with the all of the spirit and none of the dogma. That doesn't mean you can't tolerate other people's dogma. Tolerance is one of the fruits of the spirit, isn't it?

If I go to someone's house and they're serving liver, I can still enjoy the fellowship even though I personally don't like liver. I can accept that other people do like liver and not think ill of them because of it. I will still like them and like visiting their home even though I don't like what they eat. And yes, I will eat a small portion of liver out of respect for my host.

#45 Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*

Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Quite easily if you identify with the all of the spirit and none of the dogma. That doesn't mean you can't tolerate other people's dogma. Tolerance is one of the fruits of the spirit, isn't it?

If I go to someone's house and they're serving liver, I can still enjoy the fellowship even though I personally don't like liver. I can accept that other people do like liver and not think ill of them because of it. I will still like them and like visiting their home even though I don't like what they eat. And yes, I will eat a small portion of liver out of respect for my host.

I do not understand the inference to tolerance. Generally there is a purpose when someone is a visitor; either responding to an invitation, with specific purpose or, an interest in socializing with the host because of common friendship, desired or confirmed. But in this case we are talking about a group of host’s where their religious dogmas need be tolerated before the visitor can enjoy their fellowship, which then puts in question the visitor’s motive for the visiting. It would appear that an attempt in having to tolerate dogma may be an underlying attempt for altruism, as described in the following UB passage:

(592.5) 52:2.12 It is neither tenderness nor altruism to bestow futile sympathy upon degenerated human beings, unsalvable abnormal and inferior mortals. There exist on even the most normal of the evolutionary worlds sufficient differences between individuals and between numerous social groups to provide for the full exercise of all those noble traits of altruistic sentiment and unselfish mortal ministry without perpetuating the socially unfit and the morally degenerate strains of evolving humanity. There is abundant opportunity for the exercise of tolerance and the function of altruism in behalf of those unfortunate and needy individuals who have not irretrievably lost their moral heritage and forever destroyed their spiritual birthright.

However, in my post which quoted a segment, you stated: “is that it is all about unity, not uniformity”; what would you be attempting to unify, except for your beliefs too theirs or, theirs to yours, which is also not likely because you then state: “I have my own, thank-you very much.” Since you state that you “love religion in all its forms”, I am sure that it was just your phraseology that was subject to my confusion in understanding your mind-set.

(1100.6) 100:6.4 The self has surrendered to the intriguing drive of an all-encompassing motivation which imposes heightened self-discipline, lessens emotional conflict, and makes mortal life truly worth living. The morbid recognition of human limitations is changed to the natural consciousness of mortal shortcomings, associated with moral determination and spiritual aspiration to attain the highest universe and superuniverse goals. And this intense striving for the attainment of supermortal ideals is always characterized by increasing patience, forbearance, fortitude, and tolerance.

(1115.1) 101:8.4 Faith does not shackle the creative imagination, neither does it maintain an unreasoning prejudice toward the discoveries of scientific investigation. Faith vitalizes religion and constrains the religionist heroically to live the golden rule. The zeal of faith is according to knowledge, and its strivings are the preludes to sublime peace.

#46 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

We're talking about spirit here As-Above. Spirit. I have a lot of friends and as a singer I go to a lot of religious functions in religious buildings with various religious groups. I participate. Most religious institutions are open to visitors. I've been in synagogues, Buddhist temples, New Age cosmic consciousness congregations, Unitarian churches, Quaker meetings, LDS and all Christian denominations except Jehovah Witness and Seventh Day Adventists. (I don't even know where one of those churches are.) Also, I've never been invited into a mosque, but I'd go if I were. So . . . I don't understand what it is that you don't understand. Religion of the spirit is the same in ALL of these groups. There's no difference. And, I've never had anyone complain about me being there and no one has ever seemed disappointed that I didn't convert. It's all about spirit, the unifying principle for everyone regardless of what building they're standing in or what prayers they're uttering, or what book they're reading from.

#47 -Scott-

-Scott-

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Soccer, Movies, Games,

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

True worship can be between any number of religionists who share a desire for god.
If one man craves freedom -- liberty -- he must remember that all other men long for the same freedom

#48 Absonite

Absonite

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Studying the cosmotheosophy (the cosmology, theology, and philosophy) taught by the Urantia Book.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Religion has become a Bad Word ©

And that word has become so directly due to those who fervently proclaim themselves to be religious, and repeatedly demonstrate bad behavior - in addition to the institutions organized by those people which also tend to group proclaim themselves to be religions, and also repeatedly demonstrate bad behavior.

After centuries of such piteous individual and institutional displays, the backlash has finally and fully hit. The most common form of it is evident in the protest phrase, "I'm spiritual - not religious!" that has sharply risen in use from people who attempt not to throw the baby out with the dirty diaper. But, unfortunately, that very attempt to distance themselves from all bad behavior results with them distancing themselves from anyone, any book (and any other informative media these days), as well as any institution that embraces the word religion.

The UB offers a refreshing explanations that clean away the crap which has become associated with the word religion.

When someone asks me a question along the line of, "Does the UB teach/offer/etc... a religion?" I answer the question in two parts.

The very first thing I affirm is that there is no central church of bishops, priests, preachers, ministers - or whatever such institutions want to call them - mandated by the UB to exist, which use the UB to throw around guilt trips as they pass around the collection plates. I start off adamantly affirming that because I have learned people who ask me about the UB providing a religion are most afraid that they're being asked to join a group whose lives are dictated by a totalitarian tyrant, who is supported by an institutionalized posse of peers, and who stands up at the pulpit wearing robes and makes dire threats to obey while waving around the UB - like how what notoriously goes on in many churches, with their respective books. And I say it a few times, in a few different ways if I can, using the examples of the Catholic Church, the Mormon Church, Evangelical Mega Churches, Mosques, Synagogues, etc... to make sure they get that the UB doesn't come associated with all that like the Bible, Book of Mormon, Koran, etc... do.

Then, once that is clear, I affirm the UB does provide refreshing explanations for religion that build the ability to have positive personal, and interpersonal, relationships on a variety of levels.

The conversation proceeds from there according to whatever questions are asked at that point. But, in the end, when it seems the conversation has run its course and the topic is shifting, I am sure emphatically to remind them once again that the religion which the UB provides is not about any sort of institutionalized Shepards raising a flock of sheeple that they regularly shear and, sooner or later, one way or another, slaughter. And that usually does the trick of establishing a steady foundation (about the UB and what it offers regarding religion) which they can stand on, instead of that from which they run away.

My brother often colloquially calls what the overall teachings UB offers, "Urantianism".
I prefer and tend colloquially to call it, "Urantianity".

Edited by Absonite, 28 December 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#49 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

My brother often colloquially calls what the overall teachings UB offers, "Urantianism".
I prefer and tend colloquially to call it, "Urantianity".

As Alfred, the Macy's janitor in A Miracle on 34th Street said, "There's a lot of bad isms floating around this world . . ." So, Urantianism would be another one to add to the list, in my opinion. And Urantianity is too hard to say and is too reminiscent of Christianity. Personally, I like the suffix -logy. Urantialogy sounds more like a philosophy of living than an actual religion. It's less offensive, a little more cerebral and indicates the need for study and conversation.

#50 Howard509

Howard509

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

This article, by Bill Sadler Jr., is a very relevant article for this discussion:

www.urantiausa.com/pdfs/Not%20A%20Church%20Or%20Sect.pdf

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience. -
Teilhard de Chardin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users