#21 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:politics

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

But JR, have you ever thought that maybe the LDS teaching about the default is actually true. I mean God had to know that a certain percentage of planets would default. So maybe defaults ARE part of some weird plan. Maybe the LDS got that part right. Maybe the LDS have revelation into the special plan of the default that isn't mentioned in the UB. I mean, certainly not the part about procreation ability, but I'm talking about defaults being part of a special plan.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 16 February 2012 - 01:02 PM.

"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#22 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi JR,

Don't get so upset with the LDS folks. They didn't invent this stuff, it started thousands and thousands of years ago, maybe longer. It's evidence of how revelation gets absorbed and distorted by evolutionary religion. Beliefs evolve, it's just unfortunate that this old belief keeps getting reinforced rather than being allowed to die a natural death. Primitive thinking, like the thinking that submits to ideas of a conniving, score-keeping god, should be dead by now. The only way I know of to kill these things is to keep exposing them to the light of truth, gently but persistently with confident, non-argumentative certainty. I have let all of my friends and family who still believe in original sin, the atonement and born again theology, that those beliefs have found no fertile ground in my soul because I personally know God as a loving Father and I am absolutely certain that I am his daughter, and none of it requires bloodshed of any kind by anybody, Jesus included. It usually freaks them out and shuts them up. Of course, many then wonder why Jesus had to die if it wasn't to atone for our original sins. That's when I go into a lengthy history lesson that usually puts them to sleep.

#23 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi all!

I am a happy, optimistic guy, really. I have been so honored to be asked to preach in the Sunday Sacrament services, and teach in both adult Sunday School (Gospel Doctrine and Gospel Essentials), as well as in the Adult Priesthood (High Priest's Group for men) & Relief Society (adult women) classes. In the last 6 weeks alone, I have been given the opportunity to teach in front of the entire Ward twice, in front of all the adult men and women (in a combined setting) once, and in front of the High Priests twice.

I teach from the heart. I teach acceptable doctrines of the LDS Faith, augmented by big doses of revealed truth from TUB. It makes me happy to be there, to be able to share the tremendous truths of Eternity and the truths of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. I must admit to having to make great preparation to input truth into the existing doctrines of the LDS faith without directly conflicting with the errors therein. It is a juggling act, to be sure! What is most appealing to me, is that the folks I teach all seem so very eager to learn higher concepts and truth, and they respond so hungrily to my optimism for our individual and collective futures.

One must be aware of the areas of revealed truth found here and there in the scriptures of the faithful; and must gently let those truths blossom and bear fruit within their setting. It is most important to never crush the sprouting seedlings of enhanced truth recognition with direct and blatant conflict with established church teachings, no matter how appealing that may seem at the time. Let the people you influence grow and learn and reach conclusions about the veracity of their faith gently, within themselves. I learned by seeking from various churches, and came to rest where it seemed most clearly able to prepare for the most meaningful future, both in this life AND in the life to come after death.

That place was the church where I am today. There are certain doctrines which I know now are crossways to the FER, and some which are directly opposing to it. BUT... there is so much fertile soil within this church where the faithful are able to come to know heavenly Father's unmatched love - and thus to qualify for entrance to the shores of Mansonia. I must acknowledge that the differences between the doctrines of this church and the truths of TUB are not disqualifying concerning resurrection. Said differences will eventually be addressed and corrected, either in the decades and centuries of the future here on Urantia, or in the schools of Mansonia.

That is why we should stay in the churches where we have had our own lives enriched. We were candidates for positive reception of the FER, and the Angels of the Churches knew it. When we were prepared, we were led to TUB, and here we are now. We cannot destroy the little garden where we ourselves sprouted because it has less than optimum conditions, lest we eradicate the other sprouts and seedlings who are going to come up as we did.

Seek the common doctrines and truths, and share them without condemning the differences, I implore you! Look with the eyes of far-seeing toward the future where the FER is universally acknowledged and magnificently lived, and gently lead God's precious children toward that bright, shining future!

"JR"
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#24 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

One must be aware of the areas of revealed truth found here and there in the scriptures of the faithful; and must gently let those truths blossom and bear fruit within their setting.

I agree with this, which is why I started the thread, "Seers, Saints, Prophets and Wise Men". There is truth everywhere and we are told that TUB is partially a compilation of all the great truths that men and women have already discovered over the ages. Jesus did not ignore truth found in the scriptures or even in his own contemporaries.

100:7.5 But his superb originality did not cause him to overlook the gems of truth in the teachings of his predecessors and contemporaries.
126:3.8 Jesus had an unerring ability for the recognition of truth, and truth he never hesitated to embrace, no matter from what source it appeared to emanate.

#25 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

In addition to Sabbath observance, just look at how important the temple was to the Adamites.

(828.1) 74:0.1At high noon and unannounced, the two seraphic transports, accompanied by the Jerusem personnel intrusted with the transportation of the biologic uplifters to Urantia, settled slowly to the surface of the revolving planet in the vicinity of the temple of the Universal Father. All the work of rematerializing the bodies of Adam and Eve was carried on within the precincts of this newly created shrine.

(832.5) 74:4.5 It was a momentous day, and just before noon, about the time of the arrival of the seraphic messenger bearing the Jerusem acknowledgment of the installation of the world’s rulers, Adam and Eve, moving apart from the throng, pointed to the Father’s temple and said: “Go you now to the material emblem of the Father’s invisible presence and bow down in worship of him who made us all and who keeps us living. And let this act be the sincere pledge that you never will again be tempted to worship anyone but God.” They all did as Adam directed. The Material Son and Daughter stood alone on the mount with bowed heads while the people prostrated themselves about the temple.

(832.6) 74:4.6 Always in Eden the seventh day was devoted to the noontide assembly at the temple; long it was the custom to devote this day to self-culture.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

"If woman aspires literally to enjoy all of man's rights, then sooner or later, pitiless and emotionless competition will certainly replace that chivalry and special consideration which many women now enjoy, and which they have so recently won from men (Urantia Book, 938)."

#26 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

More about the importance of temples:

(852.4) 76:5.5They were both buried in the center of the temple of divine service which had been built in accordance with their plans soon after the wall of the colony had been completed.

(826.2) 73:6.5 During the days of the Prince’s rule the tree was growing from the earth in the central and circular courtyard of the Father’s temple.

(826.3) 73:6.6 When Van and his associates made ready the Garden for Adam and Eve, they transplanted the Edentia tree to the Garden of Eden, where, once again, it grew in a central, circular courtyard of another temple to the Father.

(826.4) 73:6.7This was the second temple of the Father to perish.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 19 February 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#27 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Jesus describes tithing as a minor duty, but something we aught to do within reason.

(1826.1) 166:1.4 You are meticulous in tithing and ostentatious in almsgiving, but you knowingly spurn the visitation of God and reject the revelation of his love. Though it is all right for you to give attention to these minor duties, you should not have left these weightier requirements undone.

(1908.1) 175:1.17 “Woe upon you, scribes and Pharisees and all other hypocrites who make sure that they tithe mint, anise, and cumin and at the same time disregard the weightier matters of the law — faith, mercy, and judgment! Within reason, the one you ought to have done but not to have left the other undone.

(1021.4) 93:6.8 Upon the consummation of the solemn covenant, the reconciliation between Abraham and Melchizedek was complete. Abraham again assumed the civil and military leadership of the Salem colony, which at its height carried over one hundred thousand regular tithe payers on the rolls of the Melchizedek brotherhood. Abraham greatly improved the Salem temple and provided new tents for the entire school. He not only extended the tithing system but also instituted many improved methods of conducting the business of the school, besides contributing greatly to the better handling of the department of missionary propaganda. He also did much to effect improvement of the herds and the reorganization of the Salem dairying projects. Abraham was a shrewd and efficient business man, a wealthy man for his day; he was not overly pious, but he was thoroughly sincere, and he did believe in Machiventa Melchizedek.

Edited by Midsoniter woman, 21 February 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#28 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

That phrase "verily, verily" is used all over the Doctrine and Covenants and the Urantia Book, but when I did a Bible search for "verily, verily", nothing came up. "verily, verily" appears in the UB about 19 times.

#29 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I am a Lapidary, and Jewelry Artist & Designer. I love reading the Urantia Book, science fiction, and speculative non-fiction. I am a Choral Singer. I was, at various times in my past, a Military Policeman, Police Instructor, Computer Programmer/Analyst, and Post-secondary technical instructor. I love astronomy, aeronautice & aerospace, and planes & rockets of all types. I bicycle and walk for fun and fitness. I am an Advanced Toastmaster - Bronze. I write Autobiographic Self-Help, and Speculative Non-Fiction.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Jessica! I think you might need a new scripture search program! :rolleyes:

That phrase "verily, verily" is used all over the Doctrine and Covenants and the Urantia Book, but when I did a Bible search for "verily, verily", nothing came up. "verily, verily" appears in the UB about 19 times.

Here are the references and text for the uses of "...verily, verily..." in the New Testament.

(New Testament | John 1:51) And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

(New Testament | John 3:3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

(New Testament | John 3:5) Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(New Testament | John 3:11) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

(New Testament | John 5:19) Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

(New Testament | John 5:24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

(New Testament | John 5:25) Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

(New Testament | John 6:26) Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

(New Testament | John 6:32) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

(New Testament | John 6:47) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

(New Testament | John 6:53) Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

(New Testament | John 8:34) Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

(New Testament | John 8:51) Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

(New Testament | John 8:58) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

(New Testament | John 10:1) VERILY, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

(New Testament | John 10:7) Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

(New Testament | John 12:24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

(New Testament | John 13:16) Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

(New Testament | John 13:20) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

(New Testament | John 13:21) When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

(New Testament | John 13:38) Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

(New Testament | John 14:12) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(New Testament | John 16:20) Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

(New Testament | John 16:23) And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

(New Testament | John 21:18) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

By my count, there are 25 uses of this phrase in the writings of John; but it appears nowhere else in the Bible.

"JR" Sherrod
Ah! To be host to God, Himself; and to be enriched beyond measure by that incomprehensible treasure!

#30 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Good discussion thus far; so, I shall make an addition you may find interesting.

There are several accounts of the existence of more inhabitated worlds in multiple heavens than just this small sphere.

Among the LDS scriptures, there is this account of a personal conversation between Moses and Heavenly Father. It is profound. In fact, there is no other crystal clear declaration of multiple worlds, each with people thereupon, made in religions of the early 19th Century. This account was written between June 1830—February 1831, by the man Joseph Smith, Jun., who founded the LDS Church, and who claimed to have received it by revelation. Even should one not believe Joseph Smith, Jun. did in fact receive divine revelation from God; one must not lose sight of the sheer magnitude of the following statements.

(Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:24 - 40) And it came to pass that when Satan had departed from the presence of Moses, that Moses lifted up his eyes unto heaven, being filled with the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of the Father and the Son;
And calling upon the name of God, he beheld his glory again, for it was upon him; and he heard a voice, saying: Blessed art thou, Moses, for I, the Almighty, have chosen thee, and thou shalt be made stronger than many waters; for they shall obey thy command as if thou wert God.
And lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days; for thou shalt deliver my people from bondage, even Israel my chosen.
And it came to pass, as the voice was still speaking, Moses cast his eyes and beheld the earth, yea, even all of it; and there was not a particle of it which he did not behold, discerning it by the spirit of God.
And he beheld also the inhabitants thereof, and there was not a soul which he beheld not; and he discerned them by the Spirit of God; and their numbers were great, even numberless as the sand upon the sea shore.
And he beheld many lands; and each land was called earth, and there were inhabitants on the face thereof.
And it came to pass that Moses called upon God, saying: Tell me, I pray thee, why these things are so, and by what thou madest them?
And behold, the glory of the Lord was upon Moses, so that Moses stood in the presence of God, and talked with him face to face. And the Lord God said unto Moses: For mine own purpose have I made these things. Here is wisdom and it remaineth in me.
And by the word of my power, have I created them, which is mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth.
And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.
And the first man of all men have I called Adam, which is many.
But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.
And it came to pass that Moses spake unto the Lord, saying: Be merciful unto thy servant, O God, and tell me concerning this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, and also the heavens, and then thy servant will be content.
And the Lord God spake unto Moses, saying: The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine.
And as one earth shall pass away, and the heavens thereof even so shall another come, and there is no end to my works, neither to my words.
For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
And now, Moses, my son, I will speak unto thee concerning this earth upon which thou standest; and thou shalt write the things which I shall speak.

These are stupendous revelations, indeed! We know TUB speaks of 7 Trillion inhabitated worlds in the 7 Superuniverses, each part of a Universe created by an "...only begotten son of the Father" - the Michaels; and of the intent that the Adams (and their mates, the Eves), are eventually come to each of these trillions of worlds to biologically uplift the human inhabitants. Not to forget the stupendous plan to create perfected Finaliters from among the lowest of Universe creatures of resurrection potential. We know that the FER came to our world beginning in the early part of the 20th century, and it was published in 1955; which was 124 years after Mr. Smith wrote the fantastic account of Moses speaking personally with God about worlds without number!

How can we reconcile the totally common aspects of these two records? Could the writings - revelations - of Joseph Smith, Jun., be among the "...one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings ... assembled from the God-knowing mortals of the past and the present..." as explained in the very Introduction of TUB?

P.17 - §1 Successive planetary revelations of divine truth invariably embrace the highest existing concepts of spiritual values as a part of the new and enhanced co-ordination of planetary knowledge. Accordingly, in making these presentations about God and his universe associates, we have selected as the basis of these papers more than one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings. Wherein these human concepts, assembled from the God-knowing mortals of the past and the present, are inadequate to portray the truth as we are directed to reveal it, we will unhesitatingly supplement them, for this purpose drawing upon our own superior knowledge of the reality and divinity of the Paradise Deities and their transcendent residential universe.

I think I should not dismiss such an idea out of hand. What do you think?

"JR" Sherrod

Edited by JR Sherrod, 29 February 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#31 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

There are many resonances there JR,

Have you heard of the 'greater revelation to come', in one of the Nephis?

#32 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

There are many resonances there JR,

Have you heard of the 'greater revelation to come', in one of the Nephis?

Hi Rick!

There are 74 instances of the word revelation throughout the Bible, Book of Mormon, Book of Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price (writings of Moses and Abraham). There are many instances which point specifically toward the future, and toward expanded knowledge yet to come.

[3 Nephi 29:5-6] Wo unto him that spurneth at the doings of the Lord; yea, wo unto him that shall deny the Christ and his works! Yea, wo unto him that shall deny the revelations of the Lord, and that shall say the Lord no longer worketh by revelation, or by prophecy, or by gifts, or by tongues, or by healings, or by the power of the Holy Ghost!

There is one area, in particular, which says that a book will come forth which shall contain a part which is unreadable - sealed - and that the unreadable portion will contain all truths about the world, from beginning till the end.

[2 Nephi 27:6-10] And it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall bring forth unto you the words of a book, and they shall be the words of them which have slumbered. And behold the book shall be sealed; and in the book shall be a revelation from God, from the beginning of the world to the ending thereof. Wherefore, because of the things which are sealed up, the things which are sealed shall not be delivered in the day of the wickedness and abominations of the people. Wherefore the book shall be kept from them. But the book shall be delivered unto a man, and he shall deliver the words of the book, which are the words of those who have slumbered in the dust, and he shall deliver these words unto another; But the words which are sealed he shall not deliver, neither shall he deliver the book. For the book shall be sealed by the power of God, and the revelation which was sealed shall be kept in the book until the own due time of the Lord, that they may come forth; for behold, they reveal all things from the foundation of the world unto the end thereof.

There is one part of 3 Nephi which speaks of the resurrected Jesus praying among the ancient people of the Americas, and the people hearing unwritable things, great and marvelous things...

[3Nephi 17:13-17] And it came to pass that when they had all been brought, and Jesus stood in the midst, he commanded the multitude that they should kneel down upon the ground. And it came to pass that when they had knelt upon the ground, Jesus groaned within himself, and said: Father, I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel. And when he had said these words, he himself also knelt upon the earth; and behold he prayed unto the Father, and the things which he prayed cannot be written, and the multitude did bear record who heard him. And after this manner do they bear record: The eye hath never seen, neither hath the ear heard, before, so great and marvelous things as we saw and heard Jesus speak unto the Father; And no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvelous things as we both saw and heard Jesus speak; and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father.

Indeed, Rick, there are numerous instances that speak of additional revelations to come. In my heart I hope they point all people toward accepting TUB; but, I fear that LDS folks believe that they are taught to accept only revelation through the Prophet.

"JR" Sherrod

#33 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hi JR,

Indeed, Rick, there are numerous instances that speak of additional revelations to come. In my heart I hope they point all people toward accepting TUB; but, I fear that LDS folks believe that they are taught to accept only revelation through the Prophet.

Have you seen Len McKee's two YouTube videos: Is The Urantia Book that "Greater Record to Come"...

Nigel

#34 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Very interesting JR. They appear to complement the ones Mckee is pointing too. (thanks Nigel)

#35 JR Sherrod

JR Sherrod

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi JR,

Have you seen Len McKee's two YouTube videos: Is The Urantia Book that "Greater Record to Come"...

Nigel

Yes Nigel, I have spent several hours watching them. I haven't come to a settled opinion on what they mean to me - probably because the implications that I might place myself into a position where the leaders of the LDS Church might expel me.

Being thrust out would have the effect of keeping me from teaching those who are seeking MORE from God, from within a framework of comfort and mutual understanding. In another thread I said, in part:

"There are certain doctrines which I know now are crossways to the FER, and some which are directly opposing to it. BUT... there is so much fertile soil within this church where the faithful are able to come to know heavenly Father's unmatched love." "...we should stay in the churches where we have had our own lives enriched. We were candidates for positive reception of the FER, and the Angels of the Churches knew it. When we were prepared, we were led to TUB, and here we are now. We cannot destroy the little garden where we ourselves sprouted because it has less than optimum conditions, lest we eradicate the other sprouts and seedlings who are going to come up as we did."

It may be true that I am seeking to avoid future social and familial discomforts, by avoiding becoming one of those TUB readers who have been declared apostate by the leaders of the church. I plead guilty in that instance. However, I rationalize that I am a particle of fertilizer in the rich earth within the LDS church, where another soul may be beginning the discovery of TUB. I want to share and support rather than shout and be thrust out!

Does that make sense? When I found TUB, it was refreshing and invigorating to me, and it caused me great joy. At the very same time, certain of my immediate family, and some of my close friends were not ready for what I was wanting to share, and I nearly caused breaks between them and me. Over the last 11 years, I have greatly toned down my enthusiastic displays, and offered only the littlest bite-sized portions of the FER that come nearest to supplementing things taught inside the church, rather than swinging the hammer of direct conflict.

Nigrl, I hope I have done the right thing. What say you?

Edited by JR Sherrod, 29 February 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#36 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'd say our Angels of the Churches and Angels of Progress are very skilled at fertilizing :D

Nigel

#37 Midsoniter woman

Midsoniter woman

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

JR, thank you so much for helping me with my research. I put "verily" into the search engine at BibleGateway.com and nothing came up. What is a better search engine for the Bible?

I support your decision to stay with the church and read the UB at the same time. Jesus never left the synagogue. The synagogue closed its doors to him. But if they hadn't thrown him out, Jesus would have attended synagogue his whole life probably.

#38 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi Nigel;

I found those two youtube videos of Len McKee, very interesting. Something that I would share with my LDS friends.

#39 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi JR and Nigel

Seeing asyou two have looked at the Len McKee Youtube video and heard him connect the UB with elements of the Book of Mormon; I was wondering what your take is on that part where Len explains about how Joseph Smith was shown the "Golden Plates" and only allowed to translate the first one third of the information contained on these plates;and Len believes that the Urantia Book actually contains information.which was part of the remaining two thirds.
My question is: If this is true, then does the UB contain the entire remaining two thirds of the information (contained on these plates) or does it only contain the next one third of the information, leaving the last one third yet to be revealed at a time in the future ?

#40 Nigel Nunn

Nigel Nunn

Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi menno,

I was wondering what your take is on that part where Len explains about how Joseph Smith was shown the "Golden Plates" and only allowed to translate the first one third of the information contained on these plates; and Len believes...

While that kind of speculation may tickle a curiosity bone, I would not embellish the myth. Like that paragraph about a party of 132 Andite sailors making it to South America (873.3, 78:5.7), maybe there is more to the story, maybe not. Either way, a few plates and a little history pales in comparison with the simple facts and truth about what Michael and his father's adjusters are up to. I'm happy to accept that the Angels of the Churches and Angels of Progress have what it takes to navigate our various ships-of-state through these tricky 21st century waters. I also feel the Latter Day Saints, as a group, have an opportunity to play a part.

Nigel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users