• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Just wondering what the meaning is with having the three concentric circles on the cover of the Urantia Book.

Personally, I do not believe that it has any direct relationship to any one of the four different meanings that existed, around 4,000 years ago when Melchizedek wore this symbol.

93:3.3 The symbol of the three concentric circles, which Melchizedek adopted as the insignia of his bestowal, a majority of the people interpreted as standing for the three kingdoms of men, angels, and God. And they were allowed to continue in that belief; very few of his followers ever knew that these three circles were emblematic of the infinity, eternity, and universality of the Paradise Trinity of divine maintenance and direction; even Abraham rather regarded this symbol as standing for the three Most Highs of Edentia, as he had been instructed that the three Most Highs functioned as one. To the extent that Melchizedek taught the Trinity concept symbolized in his insignia, he usually associated it with the three Vorondadek rulers of the constellation of Norlatiadek.

Any thoughts on what this symbol represents as it is currently used with the Urantia Papers ?

#2 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

It's the banner of Michael, our Lord and Sovereign.

53:5.4 . . . in the presence of the forgathered hosts of loyal personalities, he displayed the banner of Michael, the material emblem of the Trinity government of all creation, the three azure blue concentric circles on a white background.

#3 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

It's the banner of Michael, our Lord and Sovereign.

53:5.4 . . . in the presence of the forgathered hosts of loyal personalities, he displayed the banner of Michael, the material emblem of the Trinity government of all creation, the three azure blue concentric circles on a white background.

So could it be possible that, even though Melchizedek knew that his mission was connected with Michael's upcoming bestowal/visit to Urantia; it was way to much information to share with his students at that time, the truth that the symbols that he wore, were representing the banner of the Creator Son of this Universe ?

Note: The latest edition of the Urantia Book (on the internet) does not have the symbol of the 3 blue concentric circles on the cover. Instead there is a picture showing what appears to be 4 circles radiating upwards from a planet (which does not look like what earth usually looks like)

Edited by menno, 18 November 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I have no idea what what was in Machiventa's mind at the time. Perhaps he was just carrying the Nebadon flag to a far off world which was in need of enlightenment and to indicate that we are part of a larger, friendlier and more developed culture which bases itself on the fact and truth of the Trinity. There was little hope of anyone understanding the Trinity then, just as there is little hope of it now. But those of us who study and attempt to live the truths contained within the Urantia Book, at least strive to comprehend this mystery out of love for our Sovereign, if nothing else.

#5 Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*

Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Note: The latest edition of the Urantia Book (on the internet) does not have the symbol of the 3 blue concentric circles on the cover. Instead there is a picture showing what appears to be 4 circles radiating upwards from a planet (which does not look like what earth usually looks like)

Menno: I remembered reading something similar to your description above, although it may not be related to the actual truth of this subject, it is similar in nature and does have a related, possible meaning.

I have underlined areas that seem interesting to the three and four circles you mentioned.

THE SECRET DOCTRINES:

THE SYNTHESIS OF SCIENCE, RELIGION, AND PHILOSOPHY.

BY H. P. BLAVATSKY

Vol. 2, Page 239 -

Now the Vatican MSS. of the Kabala--a single copy of which (in Europe) is said to have been in the possession of Count St. Germain--contains the most complete exposition of the doctrine, including the peculiar version accepted by the Luciferians** and other Gnostics; and in that parchment the Seven Suns of Life are given in the order they are found in the Saptasurya. Only four of these, however, are mentioned in the editions of the Kabala which are procurable in the public libraries, and that even in a more or less veiled phraseology. Nevertheless even this reduced number is amply sufficient to show an identical origin, as it refers to the quaternary group of the Dhyan-Chohans, and proves the speculation to have had its origin in the Secret Doctrines of the Aryans.

Footnote(s) -------------------------------------------------

** The Luciferians--the sect of the fourth century who are alleged to have taught that the Soul was a carnal body transmitted to the child by its father;--and that other religious and still earlier sect of the second century A.D., the Lucianists, who taught all this, and further, that the animal Soul was not immortal, were philosophizing on the grounds of the real Kabalistic and Occult teachings.

Vol. 2, Page 240 -

As is well known, the Kabala never originated with the Jews, who got their ideas from the Chaldeans and the Egyptians.
Thus even the now exoteric Kabalistic teachings speak of a Central Sun, and of three secondary suns in each solar system - our own included. As shown in that able though too materialistic work, "New Aspects of Life and Religion," which is a synopsis of the views of the Kabalists in an aspect deeply thought out and assimilated:--

"The Central Sun . . . was to them (as much as to the Aryans) the centre of Rest; the centre to which all motion was to be ultimately referred. Round this central sun . . . 'the first of three systemic suns . . . revolved on a polar plane . . . the second, on an equatorial plane' . . . and the third only was our visible sun. These four solar bodies were 'the organs on whose action what man calls the creation, the evolution of life on the planet, earth, depends.' The channels through which the influence of these bodies was conveyed to the earth they (the Kabalists) held to be electrical" (p. 287). . . . "The radiant energy flowing from the central sun* called the Earth into being as a watery globe," whose tendency, "as the nucleus of a planetary body, was to rush to the (central) Sun . . . . within the sphere of whose attraction it had been created," "but the radiant energy, similarly electrifying both, withheld the one from the other, and so changed motion towards into motion round the centre of attraction, which the revolving planet (earth) thus sought to reach.

"In the organic cell the visible sun found its own proper matrix, and produced through this the animal (while maturing the vegetable) Kingdom, finally placing man at its head, in whom, through the animating action of that Kingdom, it originated the psychic cell. But the man so placed at the head of the animal kingdom, at the head of the creation, was the animal, the soul-less, the perishable man. . . . Hence man, although apparently its crown, would, by his advent have marked the close of creation; since creation, culminating in him, would at his death have entered on its decline" . . . (p. 289).

This Kabalistic view is here quoted, to show its perfect identity in spirit with the Eastern doctrine. Explain, or complete the teaching of the seven Suns with the seven systems of planes of being, of which the "Suns" are the central bodies, and you have the seven angelic planes,

Footnote(s) -------------------------------------------------

* This "central sun" of the Occultists, which even Science is obliged to accept astronomically, for it cannot deny the presence in Sidereal Space of a central body in the milky way, a point unseen and mysterious, the ever-hidden centre of attraction of our Sun and system -- this "Sun" is viewed differently by the Occultists of the East. While the Western and Jewish Kabalists (and even some pious modern astronomers) claim that in this sun the God-head is specially present -- referring to it the volitional acts of God -- the Eastern Initiates maintain that, as the supra-divine Essence of the Unknown Absolute is equally in every domain and place, the "Central Sun" is simply the centre of Universal life-Electricity; the reservoir within which that divine radiance, already differentiated at the beginning of every creation, is focussed. Though still in a laya, or neutral condition, it is, nevertheless, the one attracting, as also the ever-emitting, life Centre.

Vol. 2, Page 241

whose "Host" are gods thereof, collectively. (See Comm. to Stanza VII Book I.) They are the Head-group divided into four classes from the incorporeal down to the semi-corporeal, which classes are directly connected--though in very different ways as regards voluntary connection and functions--with our mankind. They are three, synthesized by the fourth (the first and highest), which is called the "Central Sun" in the Kabalistic doctrine just quoted. This is the great difference between the Semitic and the Aryan Cosmogony; one materializing, humanizes the mysteries of nature; the other spiritualizes matter, and its physiology is always made subservient to metaphysics. Thus, though the seventh principle reaches man through all the phases of being, pure as an indiscrete element and an impersonal unity, it passes through (the Kabala teaches from) the Central Spiritual Sun and Group the second (the polar Sun), which two radiate on man his Atma. Group Three (the equatorial Sun) cement the Buddhi to Atman and the higher attributes of Manas, while group Four (the spirit of our visible sun) endows him with his Manas and its vehicle -- the Kama rupa, or body of passions and desires, the two elements of Ahamkara which evolve individualized consciousness�the personal ego. Finally, it is the spirit of the Earth in its triple unity that builds the physical body, attracting to it the Spirits of Life and forming his Linga Sarira.

Edited by As-Above-So-Below, 19 November 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#6 Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*

• Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Edited by As-Above-So-Below, 19 November 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#7 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

Menno: I remembered reading something similar to your description above, although it may not be related to the actual truth of this subject, it is similar in nature and does have a related, possible meaning.

When you say, ". . . although it may not be related to the actual truth of this subject," I think you are right.

Madame Blavatsky had/has her adherents and detractors, her theories and worldview. The Urantia Book is not muddled in my opinion like the writings of Blavatsky, but rather the book is clear about the meaning of the Three Concentric Circles, as Bonita has previously indicated.

All the best,
Meredith

#8 Guest_As-Above-So-Below_*

• Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

If Jesus did not have the Library at Alexandia as a place of reference to study, regardless of what the library contained, where would we be today. One never knows exactly where we can find a spark to light a candle to see in the dark. If we advocate that all knowledge is worthless then we might as well burn all the books but one. The problem is, which one do we keep?

(1012.3) 92:7.2 New religions cannot be invented; they are either evolved, or else they are suddenly revealed. All new evolutionary religions are merely advancing expressions of the old beliefs, new adaptations and adjustments. The old does not cease to exist; it is merged with the new, even as Sikhism budded and blossomed out of the soil and forms of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and other contemporary cults. Primitive religion was very democratic; the savage was quick to borrow or lend. Only with revealed religion did autocratic and intolerant theologic egotism appear.

(1012.4) 92:7.3 The many religions of Urantia are all good to the extent that they bring man to God and bring the realization of the Father to man. It is a fallacy for any group of religionists to conceive of their creed as The Truth; such attitudes bespeak more of theological arrogance than of certainty of faith. There is not a Urantia religion that could not profitably study and assimilate the best of the truths contained in every other faith, for all contain truth. Religionists would do better to borrow the best in their neighbors’ living spiritual faith rather than to denounce the worst in their lingering superstitions and outworn rituals.

(1012.5) 92:7.4 All these religions have arisen as a result of man’s variable intellectual response to his identical spiritual leading. They can never hope to attain a uniformity of creeds, dogmas, and rituals — these are intellectual; but they can, and some day will, realize a unity in true worship of the Father of all, for this is spiritual, and it is forever true, in the spirit all men are equal.

#9 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Perhaps the symbolism of a circle within a circle within a circle can be explained by the following quotes:

105:4.3 It has been sometime stated that unity begets duality, that duality begets triunity, and that triunity is the eternal ancestor of all things.

105:4.8 The I AM is unqualified infinity as unity. The dualities eternalize reality foundations. The triunities eventuate the realization of infinity as universal function.

115:3.3 The primordial stasis of infinity requires segmentation prior to human attempts at comprehension. There is a unity in infinity which has been expressed in these papers as the I AM — the premier postulate of the creature mind. But never can a creature understand how it is that this unity becomes duality, triunity, and diversity while yet remaining an unqualified unity. Man encounters a similar problem when he pauses to contemplate the undivided Deity of Trinity alongside the plural personalization of God.

#10 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

If Jesus did not have the Library at Alexandia as a place of reference to study, regardless of what the library contained, where would we be today. One never knows exactly where we can find a spark to light a candle to see in the dark. If we advocate that all knowledge is worthless then we might as well burn all the books but one. The problem is, which one do we keep?

Thanks for your quotes and comments. Neither I nor anyone else is advocating destroying any books. I agree that one " never knows exactly where we can find a spark to light a candle to see in the dark."

Melchizedek allowed people to interpret the three concentric circles, even Abraham.

P.1016 - §5 The symbol of the three concentric circles, which Melchizedek adopted as the insignia of his bestowal, a majority of the people interpreted as standing for the three kingdoms of men, angels, and God. And they were allowed to continue in that belief; very few of his followers ever knew that these three circles were emblematic of the infinity, eternity, and universality of the Paradise Trinity of divine maintenance and direction; even Abraham rather regarded this symbol as standing for the three Most Highs of Edentia, as he had been instructed that the three Most Highs functioned as one. To the extent that Melchizedek taught the Trinity concept symbolized in his insignia, he usually associated it with the three Vorondadek rulers of the constellation of Norlatiadek.

All the best,
Meredith

#11 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

In thinking along the lines of what Meredith reminded us; that Melchizedek allowed people to interpret the three concentric circles in whatever way they saw them; I feel that they are in someway connected with the third circle of the seven Psychic Circles involved with our inner path of drawing closer to union with our Divine Thought Adjuster.

Maybe this was one of the prime reasons for the Urantia Papers to be delivered to the human race at this time in history; A "guide book" helping with that process.

110:6.14 The third circle. The Adjuster's work is much more effective after the human ascender attains the third circle and receives a personal seraphic guardian of destiny. While there is no apparent concert of effort between the Adjuster and the seraphic guardian, nonetheless there is to be observed an unmistakable improvement in all phases of cosmic achievement and spiritual development subsequent to the assignment of the personal seraphic attendant. When the third circle is attained, the Adjuster endeavors to morontiaize the mind of man during the remainder of the mortal life span, to make the remaining circles, and achieve the final stage of the divine-human association before natural death dissolves the unique partnership.

#12 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

The seven psychic circles have more to do with God the Sevenfold and the Supreme Being than the Trinity. One has to do with experiential beings in time and space, the other existential and independent of time and space.

The three concentric circles represent the "Trinity government of all creation"(53:5.4). I think that the word "government" is crucial to interpreting the symbol. Which trinity governs? The quote uses a capital "T", which would indicate the Paradise Trinity to me. But the Paradise Trinity delegates its administrative duties, so perhaps the word "government" does not mean administrative power and control but a system of unified organization which allows the synthesis of power and personality, and that would be, on the experiential level, the Supreme.

What I have often wondered is why Michael chose the color azure blue for the circles and white for the background? It seems that black and white would have the same meaning, but perhaps a different effect to the psyche. Certainly, on this planet, azure blue is the color of nobility and royalty; but is this so on every sphere in his universe? It seems unlikely, but possible.

#13 LauraCoulter

LauraCoulter

poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Hello, I have some thoughts on azure blue...the color of a clear sky...

I can tell you it affects my psyche when I take my daily walks. The more blue I see in the sky , the more energized I feel.
And I can't help staring up into that beautiful expanse of clear azure blue sky, which always moves me to some praise and thanks to Christ Michael.

This is an experience that all humanity can share, where ever one happens to be on Urantia. But this doesn't explain why Michael should use it. I'd like to speculate...

We are told "The early morontia life in the local system is very much like that of your present material world".
And "...if you had come from a more normal and progressive sphere of time, you would hardly notice the difference..." (p.532)
So even though on Jerusum "rarefied energies are projected upward" and "are reflected ...down as a gentle, sifting, and even light" (p.520 ), what color do you suppose we will see when we look into the sky on Jerusum? White? I stared up into a white sky today. It didn't do much for me. So, IMHO, the sky will be blue. And perhaps a blue sky is something common to many worlds. A common thread that moves and unites Michael's creation. Seems unlikely, but possible!

#14 brooklyn_born

brooklyn_born

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Urantia, Bible, mysticism, metaphysics, computers.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

This is an old topic but coincidentally was on my mind the other day. I was thinking, the emblem of the Trinity government of creation which is the three concentric, azure circles is similar to the Bullseye target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users