No replies to this topic

#1 ubizmo

ubizmo

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

I suppose I'm about the last person who should be offering ideas about dissemination, but nevertheless I have one. I have a BlackBerry smartphone, and I was looking through the App Store and noticed a number of Bible apps. I decided to download one, called "YouVersion". It's a free app, with a number of useful features. It allows the user to choose among a large selection of Bible translations, in English in other languages. What I found most interesting, however, is the Notes feature. The user can create notes on any Bible verse. If he or she chooses, those notes can be "published" so that they become visible to other YouVersion users. In this way, as you read any Bible verse you can, if you choose, check to look at notes that others have published. The notes don't appear unless you specifically go to them, so they don't intrude on your reading. On many verses, there are literally thousands of notes, but the app just loads the most recent ones; you can scroll through more if you want. Other features include bookmarking, highlighting, and pre-configured reading plans. You create an account, so that everything is synced across devices, and also on the web. Also, one or more translations can be downloaded to the device for offline reading. There are, I believe, iOS and Android versions of this app. The BlackBerry PlayBook doesn't have it yet, but will soon be able to run Android apps in any case.

It seems to me that something similar would be a very desirable addition to UB media. I know that the UB is already available in many electronic formats, including Kindle and an iPhone app, but I think the ability to share notes with other readers would make an app like this very attractive, given the isolation of many UB readers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users