• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Paper 118.10.5 God loves each creature as a child, and that love overshadows each creature throughout all time and eternity. Providence functions with regard to the total and deals with the function of any creature as such function is related to the total. Providential intervention with regard to any being is indicative of the importance of the function of that being as concerns the evolutionary growth of some total; such total may be the total race, the total nation, the total planet, or even a higher total. It is the importance of the function of the creature that occasions providential intervention, not the importance of the creature as a person

The Urantia Book contains information which informs the reader that throughout the history of the evolution of the human race; much attention has been focused on the highest types of human beings coming together, with the end goal of uplifting the human race as a whole. Certain types of genetic material combining with other types of genetic material combining to come up with human beings who were better able to be vehicles of expression for the Thought Adjusters.

Paper 110.4.6 "For many thousands of years, so the records show, in each generation there have lived fewer and fewer beings who could function safely with self-acting Adjusters. This is an alarming picture, and the supervising personalities of Satania look with favor upon proposals of some of your more immediate supervisors who advocate the inauguration of measures designed to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types of the Urantia races."

The UB and the Bible contain some examples of God's "hand of Providence" has reached in to ensure that humans, working to further the gospel of Jesus, were not taken from the earth plane, by acts of nature or by the attempts of those who felt their hold on power was threatened.
Examples : Paper 77.8.12 refers to the New Testament account where "angel of the Lord" opened prison doors and released the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus. also mentioned is the fact that a secondary midwayer took Peter out of prison.

Another example as conveyed in Acts 27 verse 23 while Paul was being taken to Rome by ship, a storm threatens to wipe out all of those onboard...an angel appears to Paul and tells him that everyone will be saved but the ship will be destroyed. And in Acts chap 28 we read that after they are shipwrecked on an island and Paul gathers up some firewood a deadly viper bites Paul's hand. The other people around him think that Paul will drop dead from that bite but no harm comes to Paul. Paul was on a mission spreading the gospel of Jesus...and so Divine Intervention was used to facilitate that work; not because Paul was an important person, but because of the Importance of the mission that he was on.

And so here we have just a small glimpse, a few examples, of the "Hand of Providence" reaching down into the stream of life here on Earth...taking measures to conserve the lives of individuals who are working to improve life and bring a higher and deeper understanding of the Love of God.

There is simply not enough space on this thread on this forum to really reveal all of the examples of Providence...as they have occurred throughout the past two thousand years But I will leave off for now with one recent example;
on the morning September 11th 2001; there were approximately 20,000 people working in the twin towers in NY. On any other normal working day, there were 40,000 people working in those towers.

Menno
a Son of God on Urantia

Edited by menno, 23 August 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Rick Warren

Rick Warren

Rick Warren

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hi Menno,

No doubt about it, Father will work the situation when/where He sees fit. But only He knows with absolute certainty what's "providential" and what's not, eh?

In Paper 118, the Mighty Messenger gives a blunt assessment about declarations of providence from the limited human perspective:

...But what man calls providence is all too often the product of his own imagination, the fortuitous juxtaposition of the circumstances of chance. There is, however, a real and emerging providence in the finite realm of universe existence, a true and actualizing correlation of the energies of space, the motions of time, the thoughts of intellect, the ideals of character, the desires of spiritual natures, and the purposive volitional acts of evolving personalities.... P.1305 - §2

#3 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

I think a lot of people have difficulty telling the difference between coincidence, serendipity, synchronicity and providence. Much of what people think to be providence is actually the workings of the subconscious mind that find their way into the conscious mind, appearing to be mysterious in origin . . . but not.

85:0.4 The inexplicable things of life are still termed “acts of God” and “mysterious dispensations of providence.”

#4 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Lifetime pursuit: Searching for truth. Found the Urantia Book to be an excellent source. I feel fortunate to have an original 1955 copy of "Big Blue" given to me by a friend in the book selling Business. Hobbies: traveling through the mountains in my Yukon XL

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hi Bonita

Are you saying that what happened with some of the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus, was coincidence, serendipity or synchronicity referring the the time when they were released from prison by and angel; and where Peter was released from prison by a secondary midwayer ?

Or that what happened to Paul, as per the written account in the book of Acts, where he survives a shipwreck and has no harm come to him after being bitten by a poisonous viper; was sheer coincidence, serendipitous or synchronicity ?

Weren't the functions of these early pioneers of the Gospel very important to the evolutionary growth of Christianity ?

Didn't they meet the criteria as laid out in Paper 118.10.5 ?

#5 Bonita

Bonita

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

As far as I know, the following are the only incidences mentioned in TUB that were due to direct celestial intervention:

77:8.12 Many of the more literal phenomena ascribed to angels have been performed by the secondary midway creatures. When the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus were thrown into prison by the ignorant religious leaders of that day, an actual “angel of the Lord” “by night opened the prison doors and brought them forth.” But in the case of Peter’s deliverance after the killing of James by Herod’s order, it was a secondary midwayer who performed the work ascribed to an angel.

Jesus also told, Jacob, one of David's runners that he was sending celestial help with him on his errand.

182:2.5 And when Jacob had rehearsed this message to the Master’s satisfaction, Jesus sent him on his way, saying: “Fear not what any man may do to you, Jacob, for this night an unseen messenger will run by your side.”

Other than that, I don't remember reading anything like what you're talking about. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I'm saying that many of the things that people think are due to angels, midwayers or God are not. Celestial interventions, when they do happen, are for spiritual purposes and generally people are not aware of them.

#6 menno

menno

Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

As far as I know, the following are the only incidences mentioned in TUB that were due to direct celestial intervention:

77:8.12 Many of the more literal phenomena ascribed to angels have been performed by the secondary midway creatures. When the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus were thrown into prison by the ignorant religious leaders of that day, an actual “angel of the Lord” “by night opened the prison doors and brought them forth.” But in the case of Peter’s deliverance after the killing of James by Herod’s order, it was a secondary midwayer who performed the work ascribed to an angel.

Jesus also told, Jacob, one of David's runners that he was sending celestial help with him on his errand.

182:2.5 And when Jacob had rehearsed this message to the Master’s satisfaction, Jesus sent him on his way, saying: “Fear not what any man may do to you, Jacob, for this night an unseen messenger will run by your side.”

Other than that, I don't remember reading anything like what you're talking about. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I'm saying that many of the things that people think are due to angels, midwayers or God are not. Celestial interventions, when they do happen, are for spiritual purposes and generally people are not aware of them.

I believe that the main
reason that the UB mentions what happened during the time of the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus; as conveyed in Paper 77:8.12; was to explain that not all the places, where the Bible mentioned work being performed by "angels", was the work performed by angels. As an example: that in this particular case it had actually been a secondary midwayer who performed the work that had been attributed to an angel. This makes perfect sense considering that this reference is found in the UB Paper "The Midway Creatures"
This example, along with the reference to what happened in Paper 182:2.5; in no way means that those were the only cases where angels or midwayers had acted to ensure that humans working in the service of God, were protected from harm.
Just because the UB has not confirmed or validated each and every incidence written about in the Bible; does not mean that God, did not act through his angels and midwayers, as and when circumstances required it.

So now back to the case of Paul, on the way to Rome, shipwrecked, bitten by a poisonous snake, etc... The account as written in the book of Acts says that an angel stood beside Paul in the night as the storm raged.
Acts 27.23 and 24 "For there stood by my side this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, saying Fear not Paul, thou must be brought before Caesar; and, lo God hath given thee all of them that sail with thee."

Let's go to the UB Paper 113 Seraphic Guardians of Destiny"
113:5.4 ".........They do not (ordinarily) arbitrarily intervene in the routine affairs of human life. But when they receive instructions from their supervisors to perform some unusual exploit, you may rest assured that these guardians will find some means of carrying out these mandates. They do not, therefore intrude into the picture of human drama except in emergencies and then usually on the direct orders of their superiors......."

113:5.5 ".....In most instances the circumstances of the material realm proceed unaltered by seraphic action, although occasions have arisen, involving jeopardy to vital links in the chain of human evolution in which the guardians have acted , and properly, on their own initiative."

Pauls trip to Rome was vital to the future of Christianity. Divine intervention would surely have been appropriate. Providential intervention , as outlined in Paper 118:10.5 surely covers this case.
Personally, I believe that the angel received instructions from his/her supervisors to perform whatever actions were required. This case would have been followed closely from much higher levels than just that of the guardian seraphim assigned to Paul....so I go with 113:5.4 but I typed in a portion of 113:5.5 to point out the words "... occasions have arisen involving jeopardy to vital links in the chain of human evolution...." And the case of Paul's trip to Rome and events en-route, certainly fit the bill.

#7 Meredith Van Woert

Meredith Van Woert

Poster

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi Menno,

No doubt about it, Father will work the situation when/where He sees fit. But only He knows with absolute certainty what's "providential" and what's not, eh?

In Paper 118, the Mighty Messenger gives a blunt assessment about declarations of providence from the limited human perspective:

...But what man calls providence is all too often the product of his own imagination, the fortuitous juxtaposition of the circumstances of chance. There is, however, a real and emerging providence in the finite realm of universe existence, a true and actualizing correlation of the energies of space, the motions of time, the thoughts of intellect, the ideals of character, the desires of spiritual natures, and the purposive volitional acts of evolving personalities.... P.1305 - §2

Only God knows. That's probably because man's ideas of the providence of God are, well, not what the revelators want us to know about it. For example. . .

P.54 - §4 For ages the inhabitants of Urantia have misunderstood the providence of God. There is a providence of divine outworking on your world, but it is not the childish, arbitrary, and material ministry many mortals have conceived it to be. The providence of God consists in the interlocking activities of the celestial beings and the divine spirits who, in accordance with cosmic law, unceasingly labor for the honor of God and for the spiritual advancement of his universe children.

Can you not advance in your concept of God's dealing with man to that level where you recognize that the watchword of the universe is progress? Through long ages the human race has struggled to reach its present position. Throughout all these millenniums Providence has been working out the plan of progressive evolution. The two thoughts are not opposed in practice, only in man's mistaken concepts. Divine providence is never arrayed in opposition to true human progress, either temporal or spiritual. Providence is always consistent with the unchanging and perfect nature of the supreme Lawmaker.

All the best,
Meredith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users